Motorcycle Jacket Recommendations

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by JM7, Oct 12, 2021 at 10:47 PM.

1. AeroFan_07

AeroFan_07 I'll Lock Up

This. I've owned several, and when I did ride, I would not have recommended them for this purpose. Also the collars, unless specified, do not snap down so will blow around on a bike.

El Marro likes this.
  2. 01flhr

01flhr One of the Regulars

Ill 2nd this. Bates does do remote fittings and repairs when they go to some motorcycle drags but i would prefer to deal local myself.

El Marro likes this.
  3. TREEMAN

TREEMAN One Too Many

The Short Answer
    The Long Answer
    The Best Answer
    The Only Answer
    VANSON !!!!!!!!!!!

yellowfever, JM7 and Canuck Panda like this.
  4. JM7

JM7 New in Town

Great feedback, I'm glad you told me this, I love the way it looks but I am sure I would not love the way it rides. Aero has it in their motorcycle section on their website. I guess that means motorcycle fashion

El Marro likes this.
  5. El Marro

El Marro Call Me a Cab

No doubt it would look very cool on the bike. The Highwayman was my first Aero jacket and one of the only jackets I sold shortly after buying. It was an absolutely beautiful jacket in brown CXL steerhide but I couldn’t get used to the loose boxy body combined with the shoulders that pinched me every time I tried to raise my arms. Some people on here I’ve had great luck with the fit of the Highwayman but I have not.

Psant25 likes this.
  6. JM7

JM7 New in Town

Great advice, and you are correct. I am going to buy an armored shirt and I am going to go to a store not too far from me, Johnson Leathers in San Francisco. A couple people have recommended them and this way I can make sure it fits right. I do like the way Vansons jackets look, I guess I was referring to Alpinestars with all the flashy colors. I also just bought my first leather jacket on this forum, an Aero 30's HB and now I'm hooked, . Tanks for taking the time to respond. I really wasn't sure if Aero "motorcycle" jackets were indeed for motorcycling . I guess the Schott Perfecto isn't either, when you are new to leather jackets and motorcycling its hard to know if it is indeed a motorcycle jacket for riding or for looks

Aloysius, AeroFan_07 and yellowfever like this.
  7. JM7

JM7 New in Town

Thats what sucks about buying jackets on the internet. They look great online but until its on you or you see it in person its kind of a crapshoot. Especially when there are no returns

El Marro and TREEMAN like this.
  8. JM7

JM7 New in Town

Hey thank you very much for the feedback. I was curious what you thought of goatskin ?

9. JM7

JM7 New in Town

Im going to go to JL on Friday. I agree with you on the fit , I'm thin but have a beer belly lol. You know what would really help me on this forum ? A glossary or key of abbreviations. I'm getting to know a lot of them , HH=horsehide, JL=Johnson leathers, WTB=want to buy but there are still a lot that I'm trying to figure out. Also, why does everyone put bump on their classified ads ?

10. TheDonEffect

TheDonEffect A-List Customer

Ikr, Fwiw idk. Lol, jk.

Took me a while to figure out JL was Johnson Leather, the irony was that they were on my radar since they were the only local jacket maker around, then I read about JL here, took me a minute to connect the dots.

People bump their listings so their listings will get back on top of the classifieds page.

I might run into you, I'm trying to go there on Friday as well, but not looking probable.

11. Carlos840

Carlos840 I'll Lock Up

I have to say that i have never felt the snaps on collars where useful or necessary.
    I never EVER snap these down on any of my jackets and it has never been a problem for me on the bike.
    Even at 100mph on a naked bike the collar doesn't flap around.

IMO their use was more to give a "uniform look" on CHP style jackets like they did on the A2 rather than a functional need when riding.

Monitor and AeroFan_07 like this.
  12. JM7

JM7 New in Town

Im gonna google your suggestion right now, looking at Vanson & Johnson Leathers, thank you for your email too

13. MrProper

MrProper One Too Many

+1

14. 01flhr

01flhr One of the Regulars

I have a goat langlitz. Its really nice. It doesnt have the stiffness and structured feel that steer does, but its still thick. Its a little stretchy and spongy feeling, but its nice. I like it alot but i dont think id like it on a double rider. I think it would depend alot on the jacket styling.

15. JM7

JM7 New in Town

Just wanted to thank you for the sound advice, this forum is amazing,

16. JM7

JM7 New in Town

Great information to know, I really like Goldtop but my opinion comes from just seeing one online. I have a Belstaff Brooklands that is amazing. I'm just looking for one other jacket because its the only one I have at the moment. I am close to a pretty respected leather jacket maker (Johnson's Leathers) in San Fran so Im going to go there on Friday. I also like the Vanson Highwayman Model E that a forum member recommended. Thank you for your email

Edward likes this.
  17. JM7

JM7 New in Town

Thank you very much for your response, very informative and helpful. When I bought my bike , I had to have it delivered as I didn't know how to ride one lol. Now, my truck just sits on my driveway because I love riding it so much. It's been a really hard year for me, I lost my father in March and I was really close to him. I bought it because I've always wanted to learn and to get my mind off everything. I must say, it really has become one of the best purchases Ive ever made

18. barnabus

barnabus Practically Family

Riding is terrific for clearing your mind isn't it? You don't think about anything other than the riding.

At least, I don't.

yellowfever likes this.
  19. Justhandguns

Justhandguns Practically Family

One question that nobody has yet to ask is, what sort of bikes you are riding? In my opinion, that influences your choice for sure right?

My vote for sure is Vanson, for 1grand of USD, I am pretty sure Vanson can customise and place proper amour (armor) in most of their jacket range. They also have proven 'track' records, literally, for making racing overall as well, unlike other makers mentioned above. Here is one old article about their jackets.

Another factor is whether you are picky about your jacket's place of origin as well. Vanson/Johnson/Lanlitz are all made in the US of A while Aero/Lewis are made in Scotland. Goldtop, on the other hand, is probably made somewhere in South Asia.

20. JMax

JMax I'll Lock Up

If you lean forward when riding maybe, but in a truly upright riding position, especially with police trained riders, the lapels will flap. Plus, they don’t need the potential distraction. All of my jackets flap if I forget to snap them, except for the LW Trojan. Those lapels are like mutton chops.