Movie hats

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Michaelshane, Feb 8, 2009.

1. steur

steur

As a bonus: the remake did have Susan Hampshire in the lead role (these days known, I kid you not, as Susan, Lady Kulukundis). I'll have to watch the original (I think I can handle it better now). Thank goodness it didn't leave me with a permanent fear of hatboxes!

M Hatman and T Jones like this.
  2. T Jones

T Jones I'll Lock Up

Geez...Lady Hampshire wasn't good enough? It would have been much easier pronounce! :D

Zombie_61, Tukwila and steur like this.
  3. T Jones

T Jones I'll Lock Up

Dick Powell in the 1946 film noir movie, "Cornered", one after he did "Murder My Sweet"...
    [​IMG]

4. Looks like a P08 Luger he’s holding. Should have been a 1911 if you ask me. :)
    Does his hat have a telescope crease without pinches? Not what I was expecting.

Zombie_61, T Jones and Tukwila like this.
  5. T Jones

T Jones I'll Lock Up

I believe it is a Luger. Powell is playing an ex Canadian airman who goes to South America in search of a Nazi war criminal who murdered his French wife....and that is a telescope crease without pinches. It's not a crease that I personally care for but I have seen those telescope creases in old film noir movies of the '40s and '50s.

6. M Hatman

M Hatman My Mail is Forwarded Here

While
    While the plot is quite convoluted, this movie and "Murder My Sweet" (which has an even more convoluted plot) are quite my favorite Dick Powel movies......and of course the clothes and hats are great to see!!!!

tropicalbob, Zombie_61 and T Jones like this.
  7. M Hatman

M Hatman My Mail is Forwarded Here

Another snapshot of cornered: upload_2020-5-26_7-40-40.jpeg
    and here are a few from Murder My Sweet.... upload_2020-5-26_7-41-25.jpeg upload_2020-5-26_7-41-43.jpeg [​IMG] upload_2020-5-26_7-42-15.jpeg

8. T Jones

T Jones I'll Lock Up

I think between the two, Murder My Sweet would be my favorite. Definitely some nice hats in that one. I also liked Robert Mitchum's Out of the Past. That one had a nice collection of hats and fashions

Here's a couple of nice thin ribbons from Out of the Past
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  9. Murder My Sweet gets my approval for no reason other than I like Mike Mazurki. :cool:

10. T Jones

T Jones I'll Lock Up

Definitely!

M Hatman and Zombie_61 like this.
  11. RBH

RBH Bartender

I caught 1939s Wyoming Outlaw on YouTube.

''The story is based on a true incident, wherein a disgruntled young lawbreaker took refuge in the mountains of Wyoming, successfully eluding a large posse for several days. The press had a field day with the story, labelling the fugitive a "Modern Robin Hood" - at least until he was shot down by a well-armed waiter.''

It has John Wayne, Ray Corrigan, Raymond Hatton and Don 'Red' Barry.
    It is full of great westerns, fedoras and some cool cars!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Bushman

Bushman My Mail is Forwarded Here

President Hammond (Walt Huston) addresses a crowd of job seekers in Washington D.C. in 1933's "Gabriel Over the White House."
    [​IMG]

13. Doctor Jones

Doctor Jones Familiar Face

About Lugers, recall that they sold an American Luger model in the USA. It had an American Eagle engraved on it (the Great Seal of the United States, I think is the proper title). My grandfather owned one, I wish I had it, they're worth a lot now.

Here's a video about them

About fedoras in shows, has anyone seen the Australian drama A Place To Call Home?

It begins at the end of WWII.

There are quite a few fedoras in the show. The main characters wear them, and there are crowd scenes showing dozens of them. Here's a scene showing some of the major characters wearing fedoras.

[​IMG]

I know nothing about Australian fedoras of the 1940s and 1950s, but to me it really stands out the way most of the fedoras in the show appear to have cheap-looking factory-pressed crowns.

Is this historically accurate?

I can understand for crowd scenes, for the hats of the extras, but I would think that speaking parts would have hand-crafted looking hats. Most of the characters are rather posh, with fancy cars and big houses and expensive tailored suits.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  14. Tukwila

Tukwila My Mail is Forwarded Here

If you look at old crowd pics in the 40s and 50s you'll see all the guys wearing hats that have personal, hand-creased hats. (see the pic above your post from 1933.... not a single teardrop bash in the whole crowd) The factory, steamed-in teardrops came about... late 50s, early 60s?

15. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

I notice that in many Golden Era period pieces. It's just not a level of detail which is deemed important, and I dare say 99.999% of the viewers don't know the difference. Pressed crowns, introduced mostly in the 50s, are what the norm is considered by most everyone and the writers, etc. probably don't know what they don't know. It sticks out like a sore thumb to me, but my guess is I'm the overwhelming minority.

16. tropicalbob

tropicalbob My Mail is Forwarded Here

I remember seeing a photo of a gang of seven or eight American sailors standing on the deck of a ship, and every one of their hats had a different bash.

Zombie_61 and Tukwila like this.
  17. dkstott

dkstott One of the Regulars

Mike went to high school with my mother in Watervliet NY.

Every time one of the movies he appeared in was on TV, She'd tell us stories about him.

Murder My Sweet gets my approval for no reason other than I like Mike Mazurki. :cool:

Zombie_61, Tukwila and Frunobulax like this.
  18. Doctor Jones

Doctor Jones Familiar Face

You guys are confirming my impression that it just didn't look period-correct to have all those factory-pressed fedoras.

People have posted a number of crowd scenes from 1930s and 1940s movies here and you don't see factory-pressed hats. Every hat has a lived-in real-life feel to it. It's details like that that make or break a movie's authenticity.

dkstott, Zombie_61 and Tukwila like this.
  19. tropicalbob

tropicalbob My Mail is Forwarded Here

The great writer Fred Exley (A Fan's Notes) was from there as well. Great book and darkly funny.

20. dkstott

dkstott One of the Regulars

Way back when, most men knew how to crease their own hats. Plus, there were enough hat stores around that you could get them cleaned and blocked.

Plus if you go by those old hats in the old movies, not all of them were the tall crowns with stovepipe straight / zero taper.

The great thing is that there are hats styles for every taste out there. I learned how to re-crease hats & maintain my hats by watching a ton of Kevin from JJ Hat center's videos.

Dave

tropicalbob, Zombie_61 and Tukwila like this.