Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mudlarks

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Tragedy struck Pimlico racecourse Saturday when a jockey sustained serious injury and two thoroughbreds were destroyed as a result of inclement track conditions before the thirteenth race, known as the Preakness was run. Considered the easiest leg of the Triple Crown series which also comprise the Kentucky Derby and the Belmont Stakes, this year's Preakness augured Nyquist another victory laurel with Exaggerator a strong second place show. Having called Nyquist and Exaggerator as a Derby exacta a few weeks ago, I laid a similar bet again, though at the time I did not know of the earlier misfortune at Pimlico.
Thoroughbreds run in rain, but as the horses were led to the starting gate I thought the race should have been cancelled.Thankfully, no thirteenth race mount was injured but the race itself quickly became a mud mire. I lost a grand, but money is not everything in sport; especially thoroughbred racing.
I love the horses, and the sport itself, and bet to win. But I felt ashamed for betting at all on this particular run, and was grateful for not having profited.

Can't say I know much about the sport of kings. But it seems to a typical Joe Blow such as myself that thoroughbred racing does itself a serious injury when the poor beasts are killed doing what the sport forces them to do.

What conditions does it take for officials to cancel races?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21