Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Muhahahaha!

Scuffy

One of the Regulars
Okay, sorry about the evil laugh. I'm just pretty excited. For several reasons actually...

For the past month and a half I've been working my butt off stripping down and revamping a space in a local mall that once housed a Picture People brand 1 hour photo studio. I happened to get a heck of a deal on rent because the space was partitioned in such a way that not many prospective tenants would want to tear down walls and such. It's perfect for what I wanted to use it for... a studio! Having worked there for 6 years I have gotten a feel for the general setup and even did the vast majority of the upkeep and servicing of it. Now it is officially open again only this time it's as "F.8 Imaging" I went through and made all of the signage with a vintage flair to it. Gives off a feeling of the later 40's or earlier 50's. Fun stuff. I'll have pix up of the studio for you guys a bit later.

My main reason for that background is this- A buddy of mine who I have not seen for a number of years happened to walk by the studio and we got to talking. He eventually asked me if I had any use for an old camera. I answered sure, that I could either use it along a ledge as a display or maybe as a prop. He said he had one that he wasn't using anymore and he'd go dig it out for me. I was supprised the next day when he brought by a Graflex 3x4 Pacemaker Speed Graphic. It is gorgeous. Unfortunately it had been caught in a flood in his basement and endured standing water of about and inch deep. It's still in great condiditon- the the bottom piece of leatherette is slightly pulled away from the body. An easy fix. Everything on it is just very striking. Film is a bit hard to come by in that size but it is still available. I'm going to get out and use the thing first chance I get. I've always wanted to dabble in large format photography. Now I have an excuse. Currently I shoot medium format but I tire of it. Large format has so much class! Anywho. I just thought that I'd hop on the foruma and vent my excitement! Thanks for enduring it! lol :cheers1:

Robert Conway

A-List Customer
Does it use sheet film or 120 roll film?
120 is readily available, sheet film in that size is another story.

These guys sell all sorts of odd size films. Take a look at the EFKE/ADOX brands. They offer several stocks, which have the same spectral response of vintage films. Process it in something like Rodinal or D23 and it will look very period.

http://www.jandcphoto.com/

Look here for more info on the Graphic.

graflex.org

If the camera has a Graflock back you could get a 120 roll film holder, which of course is much easier to work with than holders. Most clients don't have the patience these days to deal with sheet film. But make sure that the moisture didn't warp the camera body, which would totally throw your film plane out of wack.

Look here for cameras:

Ritzcam.com

or

Keh.com

Cheers,

Robert Conway

I was wondering about some of the different cameras. I had seen where the backs were removable, or some had interchangeable backs so you could go to another type of film.

I thought it might be neat if someone could come up with one of those old "Press" cameras but have a large format Polaroid back. I used to love it when one of my dad's cousins would take these B&W polaroid pictures, they had a documentary feel to them.

Vornholt

One of the Regulars
Polaroid backs are available for a number of large format cameras, particularly those equipped with the Graflok style back. They show up on the usual auction site every now and then.

Can't beat large format.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails