Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Murkey" Argyle Tie

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
I have bought a semi muddy ARGYLE Tie but is it Argyle or madras check
3332164367_25d85aca12_m.jpg

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't 'argyle' composed of alternating coloured diamonds with a thin stripe bisecting them? That tie looks like a tartan. I like it, though.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I don't think you'd find an authentic vintage argyle tie. The pattern is normally found in socks or sweaters. I would bet it was developed to give a knit garment the same plaid look as a wovern one. Personally, I think an argyle tie would look a little . . . odd. . . to say the least.
Why do you say you "need" it?
Madras is a woven cotton, made in India. It was originally developed there, in the early 19th century, in an attempt to mimic the look of Scottish tartans worn by the occupying British soldiers. It wasn't very successful in that, but was successful in inventing a whole new wonderful type of cloth. Madras plaids are usually very brightly colored, and the plaid patterns are usually not quite symmetrical, like most Scottish patterns. Around 1960 Madras shirts became wildly popular. At the time the dyes used were not color fast by a long shot, so the shirts "bled". This was a HIGHLY desirable trait at the time. The more bled over the plaid looked, the cooler the wearer felt. Years later, after the fad had passed they started making Madras with color fast dyes. I was very let down when I got my first non bleeding Madras shirt a few years ago.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I have a vintage silk (or maybe rayon ...)tie with an argyle pattern printed on it. It's virtually identical to one that Dan Aykroyd used to use in one of his skits. But an actual knitted into the pattern argyle tie I'd like to see.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
volatile said:
It is indeed tartan, not argyle. Where's it from? I like it...

Its Heavy silk from this Shop, I dropped by one Lunch time and, and explained to Anthony what I was looking for, he said they had something similar in the work room, left over from a "Fashion Show" and that, if I liked it I could have it at cost!!

http://www.josephanthony.com.au/

London_Court_Perth,_WA,_shoppers_smc..jpg

Stylish London court, Swan River Colony, Australia

Corky

Practically Family
"...the shirts "bled"...a HIGHLY desirable trait at the time..."

Around 1960, Madras shirts became wildly popular. At the time the dyes used were not color fast by a long shot, so the shirts "bled". This was a HIGHLY desirable trait at the time. The more bled over the plaid looked, the cooler the wearer felt.

According to the Shirt Buyer for Brooks Brothers in New York, the idea that Madras was Guaranteed To Bleed was a triumph of P.R. and the Marketing Of Cool.

The problem with the plaid fabric which was made in India was that they couldn't get it to be color-fast. No matter what they tried, the colors kept fading and bleeding, so some genius came up with the notion that this was a highly sought after attribute. Genuine Madras fabric was supposed to bleed -- this was a time when cigarettes were advertised as being good for you, remember? -- and so they advertised the Madras garments as Guaranteed To Bleed. The Mad Men were no doubt proud of their accomplishment.

I was also taken in by this back in the day and I admit that I felt cool wearing a Madras shirt or sports coat once upon a time.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
BinkieBaumont said:
I need an Argyle tie in one of those "Muddy" colour combinations you know, Moss Green with Burgundy, very "Captain Hastings"

Any Ideas?

AT last I have found that Tie! trawling the net, after breakfast! will post pic shortly, its very much like the one Lord Best used to use in his avatar

!BOc20fgBGk~$(KGrHgoH-CQEkJwwr(3WBJuves1HkQ~~_2.JPG

Also Purchased this

e0e2_2.JPG

And my absolutely positively last Cravat

02b5_2.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic