Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Museum of Flight

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
My husband and I visited the Museum of Flight at Boeing Field in Seattle last week as part of his birthday celebration. They have two floors of airplanes from WWI and WWII on display that were amazing to see.

IMG_2153.jpg

IMG_2154.jpg

IMG_2157.jpg

IMG_2158.jpg

IMG_2161.jpg

IMG_2165.jpg

IMG_2173.jpg

IMG_2174.jpg

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This (Museum Of Flight) fighter plane collection was once displayed in Mesa, Arizona (Falcon Field) as part of the Champlin Fighter Museum. We sure miss it down here! At least they are in a good home now. They are all airworthy examples too. Great photos-thanks! Here's me in the SR-71, the obligatory photo op at the museum ≈
DSC_0138-sml-1.jpg

-dixon cannon

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
I have a very similar shot from our visit:

IMG_2124.jpg

My dad worked for Boeing for 40 years, and my grandpa was a civilian that worked with many top secret aircraft/projects during WWII. Dad's very proud of the museum and what he was able to donate to it from my grandpa's things.

Dixon Cannon

I have a very similar shot from our visit: My dad worked for Boeing for 40 years, and my grandpa was a civilian that worked with many top secret aircraft/projects during WWII. Dad's very proud of the museum and what he was able to donate to it from my grandpa's things.

You see?!!!....it's obligatory - can't leave the museum until you've been photographed in the SR-71. Let's see how many others have similar photos to post!!

-dixon cannon

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
My husband was giddy when he saw people lining up to have photos taken. His birthday was the next day, and he told me that when he was a kid he was obsessed with airplanes (he was rambling off names of them throughout our visit at the museum), and that he'd wanted to be an astronaut. The space simulator was closed when we were there, but he got to get in the cockpit. He was really pleased to be able to fulfill at least a little bit of his boyhood dreams. Our little one, well... she just wanted to get out and RUN!

1930artdeco

Practically Family
Boy they have changed the museum! The last time I was there it was just the little red building and a new annex.

Mike

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Yes, the museum is HUGE now. I believe that my dad referred to the little red building as "the red barn", and they've incorporated that into the expansion part of the current museum. It is the wing that houses early Boeing company history. My favorite part of the whole museum was the WWI/WWII "Personal Courage Wing".

Barbigirl

Practically Family
The Museum of Flight has a pretty neat living history department as well. Throughout the month they have different folks come in, dress a character and give mini history lessons. They have an actor that does WWI & II nurses as well as Jackie O on Air Force One (Alice), a WASP pilot (Diane) and I do Rosie the Riveter.

We also have folks come in as USO hostesses during WWII, injured soldiers, a pilot, the frenchmen who invented the hot air balloon, WWII journalists. It is a really fun gig.

I usually do 1st Thursday night of the month (admission is free then), come out ans see me sometime.

Happy Birthday to your hubby and your little tyke is a real Babydoll too.

Last edited:

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Barbi, we were there on Thursday night from about 5:15-7:30. Next time we go I'll check to see if you'll be there. Hubby really wants to go back. He didn't get enough of the planes during our visit.

(And isn't she getting big? Almost 3 now, and telling me "I can do it all by my-SELF!")

Barbigirl

Practically Family
This particular month I missed because I totally spaced that The first Thurs. was also 11/1. I made it the other 11 months and will be there in the future. She is so cute, that phrase cracks me up, I remember Emily saying that.

I want to PM you Babydoll but your box is full.

Last edited:

1961MJS

I spent a week working across the street in October of this year, and in August also. Never had time to go over there. I gotta work on that.

Later

Dixon Cannon

The Museum of Flight has a pretty neat living history department as well. Throughout the month they have different folks come in, dress a character and give mini history lessons. They have an actor that does WWI & II nurses as well as Jackie O on Air Force One (Alice), a WASP pilot (Diane) and I do Rosie the Riveter.

We also have folks come in as USO hostesses during WWII, injured soldiers, a pilot, the frenchmen who invented the hot air balloon, WWII journalists. It is a really fun gig.

I usually do 1st Thursday night of the month (admission is free then), come out ans see me sometime.

I did one 'Living History' event at the museum several years ago. It was a commemoration of the 8th USAAF with several reenactors participating and giving aural presentations in the auditorium. Great fun!

32842605.jpg

This is me in my Tropical Tan Class A's standing at the guard shack at the Museum Of Flight

-dixon cannon

Barbigirl

Practically Family
Dixon you look much better in your uniform than our guy that does some air Captain (whose names escapes me just now). They have quite a large costume room of uniforms that I have looked through but I don't know enough about military attire to know if there is any fabulous finds in there.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko