Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mushmans "Adventurer" Indiana Jones Jacket in Badalassi Prugna

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
...and I thought my Freewheelers San Mateo was going to be the wildest jacket that I would ever own. I have that and I had a Himel grizzly, but I think this might be the craziest jacket I have yet owned... because it's purple. What helps is that the design is fairly simple.

This is not a super accurate Indiana Jones jacket repro, but I'm fine with that. It's a pretty slim fit, which I like. Also, Indy didn't wear a purple leather jacket. Harrison Ford could have pulled that off for sure, but I don't think that would have fit with his look.

I've been interested in Mushmans jackets for some time now and I always liked the Adventurer jacket in all the cool leathers they offered it in so I was excited to get this one. It was due to be done in late November or December, but it got to my door in the middle October which is fantastic. Mushmans was great to deal with. I had actually been to the store once before and they have a great line up of leather jackets from Rainbow Country as well which is cool.

From what I understand, the Mushmans jackets are made by Electric Leather Studio. This jacket is well made, but not on the same level as my Freewheelers jackets by any means. In my experience, nothing is and that's OK. The seems are lined up well and the stitching is mostly excellent, but not as laser straight or clean as FW at all. I'm certainly happy with how well it's made, but this does make me appreciate FW even more.

The other materials are nice too. Mushmans threw in a nice branded hangar which is a great touch. The pockets are lined with an olive flannel fabric, the body liner is a surprisingly soft tan cotton drill. I usually do not like cotton drill because as practical as it is, it always feels stiff. This is miles softer than any cotton drill I've experienced. The arms are lined with brown cupra/cupro lining which is basically like a rayon made from recycled cotton. It feels nice as well, though I think I may have preferred to have the whole jacket lined with the cotton drill just because it is so nice. Either way, this jacket has much more versatile liners than my Freewheelers jackets with their wool and flannel linings. I was wearing this jacket in 80F weather to take pictures and I wasn't sweating at all, surprisingly.

Sorry to waste so much time talking about everything else, the real star of this jacket is the leather! It's Badalassi Carlo vegetable tanned steerhide in a color called prugna which means prune in Italian. Why they named a leather after such an ugly thing is beyond me, but the color is gorgeous in my opinion. Purple is my favorite color and I honestly never even fantasized about owning a purple leather jacket because I just thought it would be completely ridiculous, but I think this looks quite good.

Badalassi Carlo really knows how to do their colors because this leather changes so much in different lighting. It is really quite difficult to even know what the "true" color of it is. In some light, it is burgundy, in some it is seal brown with some red in it, in some light it actually looks like red wine, and in other light it is quite purple. The depth and richness of this color is amazing as with all Badalassi leather that I have experienced so far and the grain is nice as well with some more pebble areas, some areas of smoother grain, and some areas with more variated grain. I have said before that I would take Badalassi over any horsehide that isn't Shinki and this jacket has done nothing to change that.

The fit is quite good. I was slightly worried that the size 40 would be too small, but it is not. The jacket is a little long, but it's supposed to be and the jeans and trousers I wear are quite high rise so they make the jacket look even longer. The sleeves are a bit too long. I will see if they shorten much with wear as the arm creases set. If I have to get this jacket shortened, it's shouldn't be difficult without any real cuff.

Anyway, here are some pics. I am happy that the weather is finally starting to cool off a little hear so I should be able to start wearing this jacket as much as COVID will allow me to.
9vD83Wk.jpg

usefQTE.jpg

qiKUazT.jpg

0hLxbZG.jpg

NKDUcsM.jpg

AQ2DbQG.jpg

OhtaOir.jpg

mbAtjOV.jpg

N7B32mR.jpg

zNCJMbA.jpg

pEBF9oE.jpg

yuTTeYj.jpg

qKahrYV.jpg

TSvKzlE.jpg

3yjoVo3.jpg

H2ILmNJ.jpg

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Looks nice. Not very screen accurate - unlike the film one it doesn't fit like a sack of 1980's lambskin shit. Although this one seems long, almost a car coat. How long is it? The movie version was 23 inches at back (the costume jacket was measured by Tony Nowak, who made the 4th movie jacket) so the original was pretty short on Harrison's six ft one frame.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Looks nice. Not very screen accurate - unlike the film one it doesn't fit like a sack of 1980's lambskin shit. Although this one seems long, almost a car coat. How long is it? The movie version was 23 inches at back (the costume jacket was measured by Tony Nowak, who made the 4th movie jacket) so the original was pretty short on Harrison's six ft one frame.
Yeah, they weren't going for screen accuracy here... I mean, it's purple :p

It's 25" long so definitely longer than the original. I'm still not sure how I feel about the length. I tend to prefer shorter jackets, but then again I already have quite a few of those... plus, with the different pattern and taller pockets I think the length suits the jacket well.

I'm only 5'7" so I struggle to find leather jackets that fit short enough on me. If I want shorter jackets, I just wear my cotton jackets.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
That's a great looking jacket, congrats! I think shortening the sleeves would make it look even better. I notice that the sleeves are unhemmed. Did they leave it unhemmed on purpose? You could consider having a stitch line added if you do decide to have the sleeves shortened.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, they weren't going for screen accuracy here... I mean, it's purple :p

It's 25" long so definitely longer than the original. I'm still not sure how I feel about the length. I tend to prefer shorter jackets, but then again I already have quite a few of those... plus, with the different pattern and taller pockets I think the length suits the jacket well.

I'm only 5'7" so I struggle to find leather jackets that fit short enough on me. If I want shorter jackets, I just wear my cotton jackets.

Yeah, it might sit differently on me at six two. I think the longer jacket may come back some day. I hope so as I am not a huge fan of the waist hugging jacket. Thanks for showing this one. I like it.

Beautiful leather, gorgeous jacket and a fantastic and informative write up, as always. It's hella long, tho. Incredible it's only 25" in the back, I would've sworn it's like 27" or something if I was to guess. As for the screen accuracy, that's completely irrelevant as even the jackets that appeared in the films aren't screen accurate.

And as for the color... I know it says purple but I honestly saw it as a dark brown jacket until I read what color is it. Like a deep rich brown with a touch of red but it's a color that doesn't stand out even the slightest bit so you don't have to worry about that. It's the tamest jacket you own for sure but possibly one of the classiest ones. :)

In any case, would love to own this particular one the most, just if it was a bit shorter but yeah, I'd rather invest in this than into one of the lousy repros.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
That's a great looking jacket, congrats! I think shortening the sleeves would make it look even better. I notice that the sleeves are unhemmed. Did they leave it unhemmed on purpose? You could consider having a stitch line added if you do decide to have the sleeves shortened.

I am not sure if that is why they left it unhemmed on purpose, but it works out for me either way. depending on how the arms develop, I will probably get the sleeves hemmed. They would definitely look better if they were shorter than they are now. I may add a stitch line. This isn't a Freewheelers jacket so I don't mind messing with it a bit.

Yeah, it might sit differently on me at six two. I think the longer jacket may come back some day. I hope so as I am not a huge fan of the waist hugging jacket. Thanks for showing this one. I like it.

Haha yeah it would very likely sit differently on you than it does on me!

Beautiful leather, gorgeous jacket and a fantastic and informative write up, as always. It's hella long, tho. Incredible it's only 25" in the back, I would've sworn it's like 27" or something if I was to guess. As for the screen accuracy, that's completely irrelevant as even the jackets that appeared in the films aren't screen accurate.

And as for the color... I know it says purple but I honestly saw it as a dark brown jacket until I read what color is it. Like a deep rich brown with a touch of red but it's a color that doesn't stand out even the slightest bit so you don't have to worry about that. It's the tamest jacket you own for sure but possibly one of the classiest ones. :)

In any case, would love to own this particular one the most, just if it was a bit shorter but yeah, I'd rather invest in this than into one of the lousy repros.

Well, again, I am not tall. Also, these trousers all have incredibly high rises by today's standards. They're all three at least 13" front rises and I think two of them are at least 13.5" front rises which is pretty darn high. Certainly makes the jacket look even longer. In these new jeans even my Freewheelers San Mateo looks super long and in my old jeans I thought it fit perfectly.

Yeah the leather is more versatile than it might have been which is nice. I suppose I see the purple more in person haha. Haha in terms of design, it's definitely the most tame by far. Thanks for the kind words :)

Lebowski

This guy has numerous complaints from sellers.
Beautiful jacket, though it doesn't look similar to any of 3 Ford's original jackets. Having too narrow sleeves, esp. sleeve ends, too much oversized collar, and yes - being too much trimmed/slim fitted in opposite to orifinal patterns, this beaut is far far away from the originals. But aside from the original Indiana jacket patterns key features, this particular jacket still looks very beautiful!
And I liked the color too (surprised!)).
And - which is most important - it fits you absolutely perfect man! Congrats with nice purchase!

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Beautiful jacket, though it doesn't look similar to any of 3 Ford's original jackets. Having too narrow sleeves, esp. sleeve ends, too much oversized collar, and yes - being too much trimmed/slim fitted in opposite to orifinal patterns, this beaut is far far away from the originals. But aside from the original Indiana jacket patterns key features, this particular jacket still looks very beautiful!
And I liked the color too (surprised!)).
And - which is most important - it fits you absolutely perfect man! Congrats with nice purchase!
Yeah I've watched all the movies, some of them several times, but I'm not very aware about what the jackets are supposed to look like exactly. I do like the jackets, but the fact that it is specifically an Indy jacket was not why I bought this.

A repro might be too baggy for me, in fact. I love purple, but I am surprised how much I like it with the actual outfits.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
When you said it was purple, I was imagining Prince, the Joker, and Grimace from Ronald McDonaldland, but that's way prettier than I was expecting. More like Horween cordovan.
Haha I had forgotten that Grimace existed! Yeah it's like a slightly more purple-y version of that.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
beautiful leather, in luxurious shade of purple, congrats!

I like the unstitched sleeve end, overtime it will develop interesting look
the neck hole on that is huge, is it custom sized by you?

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
beautiful leather, in luxurious shade of purple, congrats!

I like the unstitched sleeve end, overtime it will develop interesting look
the neck hole on that is huge, is it custom sized by you?

Well, again, I am not tall. Also, these trousers all have incredibly high rises by today's standards. They're all three at least 13" front rises and I think two of them are at least 13.5" front rises which is pretty darn high. Certainly makes the jacket look even longer. In these new jeans even my Freewheelers San Mateo looks super long and in my old jeans I thought it fit perfectly.

Forgot to add that it fits you 10/10. Really a good fitting jacket, one that you can instantly see is pure quality. I love it.

But yeah, that's why I'm getting sick and tired of jeans altogether... So many crazy factors to, well, factor in. One type of pants can completely change the entire look of the jacket I thought fits perfectly and throw it off completely.

thor

One Too Many
Absolutely LOVE this jacket! It’s my favorite of all the ones you’ve posted (and you have some beauties).
The very muted burgundy or maroon tone makes it really stand out.
And having a slightly longer fit makes for a very comfortable and easy-wearing jacket (sitting down without any ride-up at the back, a tad extra coverage if it’s windy or rainy, an untucked shirt won’t stick out like a cape! Etc).
Enjoy the hell out of this one my friend.

Congratulations!
This color looks great on you. I can imagine the leather evolving and changing as a lot of Badalassi colors do over time- it should be a satisfying and rewarding adventure.
Really cool jacket.
And don’t be too concerned over the name- prugna also means “plum”

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider