Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Akubra hats modifications, BRIM TRIMMING mostly.

Paravians

New in Town
Having started with the ‘hobby’ quite recently I probably don’t even know what I’m doing, anyway, of the three Akubras I have (Stylemaster, Campdraft and Angler), none of them was pleasing me completely. So I decided to make some modifications.

Starting with the easiest, the Stylemaster, I did not like the excessive tapering. I decided to re-crease it, in a rather unusual way, which has taken care of the problem. It looks a bit like a porkpie now, but since I only wear this when it’s sunny and when I am happy (so.. very rarely), it suits me.
NxnCG9V.jpg

UFkrwsO.jpg

xRmKQRz.jpg

Next came the Angler. If you know this hat, it is a classic safari/outback kind of hat. I bought this hat for cycling and hiking (holes for neck strap, yet it does not fly off even in a gale!). Anyway, I did not like the band (a thin leather ribbon ...with a tooth), so I replaced the ribbon, I think it looks less country this way.
I also creased the hat the best I could, again to remove the tapering. I pounced it with 120/400 grit sanding paper to make it a bit less stiff.
Finally, since this hat looks huge on me (small crown but very large 3” brim), I trimmed the brim to the same exact dimensions of a Fed IV (70x65cm dimensional brim). Removing one centimeter from each side makes a huge difference on how the hat looks on my head, in fact I can now use it for social occasions as well. For a neat job, I made a perfect ellipse template in Photoshop, which I attached to the hat with pins. Then it was just a matter of cutting along the paper and sanding. I also ironed down the kick ups on the sides and flattened the entire brim a bit. Here's the result:

vSCE7Tc.jpg

sIAKaWU.jpg

DqSpEOi.jpg

o7FVXSr.jpg

Finally the Campdraft. I love this hat but I prefer raw edges, and again a smaller brim.
I’ve been searching on the forum first but even though there are people mentioning the intention to remove the edge binding (and/or trim the brim) from the CD, apparently nobody has done it (main reason for this post basically).
First I removed the binding, as you can see from the photos it does not leave you with a very noticeable stitching line (so the hat could be worn as it is), however, I preferred to remove the stitching i.e. take off 0.5 cm all over the brim. This brings the hat to the classic 65mm brim instead of 70.
These are close ups after removing the edge binding (BEFORE trimming):

AsO0i0E.jpg

owXi98Y.jpg

MYJAQZR.jpg

With a very sharp box cutter it is a very easy and neat job since you can ‘feel’ and follow the stiching holes (no need to ‘saw’ up and down, you just sort of “push" against the holes). Easier than the Angler.
After that it’s just a matter of sanding the edge.
“Tools" and leftovers photo:
K1OdSyk.jpg

To make the rather large crown look smaller I also replaced the ribbon with a 1.5" rayon band.
The first thing I noticed after losing the binding was how softer the hat was - see video
Nevertheless it keeps its shape just as before. It looks and feel like a better quality hat in my opinion. See photos:
oGpHImJ.jpg

RMvP7lA.jpg

tSAsa64.jpg

The following (bad quality) photos show how the modified Angler and CD look on my noggin:
kBQ69yG.jpg

KAIAMPz.jpg

8r5zV6n.jpg

tE4aPo4.jpg

(It would probably have been easier to just buy a Federation IV I guess, but money-spending at the moment is a bit limited…)

Anyway maybe this post can give you some ideas (?) … it’s been fun! Otherwise if you think that I have ruined three perfectly good hats please feel free to let me know! :)

RJR

Having started with the ‘hobby’ quite recently I probably don’t even know what I’m doing, anyway, of the three Akubras I have (Stylemaster, Campdraft and Angler), none of them was pleasing me completely. So I decided to make some modifications.

Starting with the easiest, the Stylemaster, I did not like the excessive tapering. I decided to re-crease it, in a rather unusual way, which has taken care of the problem. It looks a bit like a porkpie now, but since I only wear this when it’s sunny and when I am happy (so.. very rarely), it suits me.
NxnCG9V.jpg

UFkrwsO.jpg

xRmKQRz.jpg

Next came the Angler. If you know this hat, it is a classic safari/outback kind of hat. I bought this hat for cycling and hiking (holes for neck strap, yet it does not fly off even in a gale!). Anyway, I did not like the band (a thin leather ribbon ...with a tooth), so I replaced the ribbon, I think it looks less country this way.
I also creased the hat the best I could, again to remove the tapering. I pounced it with 120/400 grit sanding paper to make it a bit less stiff.
Finally, since this hat looks huge on me (small crown but very large 3” brim), I trimmed the brim to the same exact dimensions of a Fed IV (70x65cm dimensional brim). Removing one centimeter from each side makes a huge difference on how the hat looks on my head, in fact I can now use it for social occasions as well. For a neat job, I made a perfect ellipse template in Photoshop, which I attached to the hat with pins. Then it was just a matter of cutting along the paper and sanding. I also ironed down the kick ups on the sides and flattened the entire brim a bit. Here's the result:

vSCE7Tc.jpg

sIAKaWU.jpg

DqSpEOi.jpg

o7FVXSr.jpg

Finally the Campdraft. I love this hat but I prefer raw edges, and again a smaller brim.
I’ve been searching on the forum first but even though there are people mentioning the intention to remove the edge binding (and/or trim the brim) from the CD, apparently nobody has done it (main reason for this post basically).
First I removed the binding, as you can see from the photos it does not leave you with a very noticeable stitching line (so the hat could be worn as it is), however, I preferred to remove the stitching i.e. take off 0.5 cm all over the brim. This brings the hat to the classic 65mm brim instead of 70.

AsO0i0E.jpg

owXi98Y.jpg

MYJAQZR.jpg

With a very sharp box cutter it is a very easy and neat job since you can ‘feel’ and follow the stiching holes (no need to ‘saw’ up and down, you just sort of “push" against the holes). Easier than the Angler.
K1OdSyk.jpg

To make the rather large crown look smaller I also replaced the ribbon with a 1.5" rayon band.
The first thing I noticed after losing the binding was how softer the hat was - see video
Nevertheless it keeps its shape just as before. It looks and feel like a better quality hat in my opinion. See photos:
oGpHImJ.jpg

RMvP7lA.jpg

tSAsa64.jpg

The following (bad quality) photos show how the modified Angler and CD look on my noggin:
kBQ69yG.jpg

KAIAMPz.jpg

8r5zV6n.jpg

tE4aPo4.jpg

(It would probably have been easier to just buy a Federation IV I guess, but money-spending at the moment is a bit limited…)

Anyway maybe this post can give you some ideas (?) … it’s been fun! Otherwise if you think that I have ruined three perfectly good hats please feel free to let me know! :)
Some will no doubt quibble with your modifications;in my mind,you've done what was needed to make the hats yours.

1967Cougar390

Practically Family

NxnCG9V.jpg

UFkrwsO.jpg

xRmKQRz.jpg

vSCE7Tc.jpg

sIAKaWU.jpg

DqSpEOi.jpg

o7FVXSr.jpg

AsO0i0E.jpg

owXi98Y.jpg

MYJAQZR.jpg

K1OdSyk.jpg

oGpHImJ.jpg

RMvP7lA.jpg

tSAsa64.jpg

kBQ69yG.jpg

KAIAMPz.jpg

8r5zV6n.jpg

tE4aPo4.jpg

I like each of your conversions. As long as you are happy with the end result that’s what matters.

Steven

Zoukatron

One of the Regulars
There is an alternative way you could have dealt with the removal of the brim binding on the Campdraft (I've done the same thing with my Coober Pedy). After removing the binding, rather than cutting away the felt to remove the stitching holes, you can just wet the felt and then rub it between your fingers - the holes will eventually close up. I'm currently waiting for a green Campdraft myself and may well make the same modification to that too. Of course, if you want the brim to be a bit narrower, then it doesn't make much difference.

Paravians

New in Town
Yes the reason why I removed the binding was not just because I prefer raw edges, but to make the brim slightly smaller. In fact I've read somewhere here that one could cut along the binding (as a guide) but - after done it the way I did - I believe it's best to remove the binding and go along the stitching holes with the cutter. This makes mistakes impossible.

Zoukatron

One of the Regulars
I've never tried cutting down a brim (never had the desire to do so), but I imagine it would be easier to do it with the binding removed - I could see it potential causing some sort of tangling or stoppage.

Paravians

New in Town
Thanks! After a few months and much wearing I am still pleased with the three hats. The Stylemaster has been reshaped to its original crease ... Along with the Campdraft, they have both maintened their brim shape (my fear they wouldn't without the edge binding). The tough Angler though, despite certainly not being an Akubra best seller, is the one I am most pleased with and now my almost everyday hat :)

Genester

New in Town
hey there,

Thanks for making this thread! I enjoy customizing and doing modifications as well so its cool to see what others have done!

I'm wondering if anyone has experience ironing the brim totally flat with the binding on? Should the binding have an impact on the shape or will it just stretch as I iron it flat?

Thanks,
Gene

Rogue Scholar

New in Town

NxnCG9V.jpg

UFkrwsO.jpg

xRmKQRz.jpg

vSCE7Tc.jpg

sIAKaWU.jpg

DqSpEOi.jpg

o7FVXSr.jpg

AsO0i0E.jpg

owXi98Y.jpg

MYJAQZR.jpg

K1OdSyk.jpg

oGpHImJ.jpg

RMvP7lA.jpg

tSAsa64.jpg

kBQ69yG.jpg

KAIAMPz.jpg

8r5zV6n.jpg

tE4aPo4.jpg

Just stumbled across this 5 years later. Not sure if you’re still on here, but I love the mods you did and, as a newbie myself messing around with Akubras, I found this quite inspirational.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko