Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My attempt at the Dillinger Suit

JumpBoot

One of the Regulars
I really liked the look of Johny Depp's blue suit in Public Enemies, and so this fall I had one made while I was overseas. I'd welcome any input. While it's not perfect, I think it came out rather nice. I included a couple of indoor shots because the lighting outside was deceptive.

*How the hell do I edit my typo in the title? This is really bothering me. I know how to spell, I swear.

Attachments

• IMG_1173.jpg
    IMG_1173.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_1174.jpg
    IMG_1174.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_2393.jpg
    IMG_2393.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 350
  • IMG_1177.jpg
    IMG_1177.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_1176.jpg
    IMG_1176.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 208
  • photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    825.8 KB · Views: 187
Last edited by a moderator:

fashion frank

One Too Many
I really liked the look of Johny Depp's blue suit in Public Enemies, and so this fall I had one made while I was overseas. I'd welcome any input. While it's not perfect, I think it came out rather nice. I included a couple of indoor shots because the lighting outside was deceptive.

Loved that movie and love your suit it looks awesome !

All the Best, Fashion Frank

JumpBoot

One of the Regulars
Thank you for the input, I do appreciate it. I need to find a good tailor up here to take care of the sleeves. They seem to be in short supply in Alaska, but I'm sure I'll pin one down. The tie is making me crazy. For some reason the Double Windsor knot just gives me fits. Practice...practice....practice. :)

Happy New Year, everyone!

Thank you for the input, I do appreciate it. I need to find a good tailor up here to take care of the sleeves. They seem to be in short supply in Alaska, but I'm sure I'll pin one down. The tie is making me crazy. For some reason the Double Windsor knot just gives me fits. Practice...practice....practice. :)

Happy New Year, everyone!

Try this:
http://youtu.be/8AFWiqguxZY
I always say that if Charles can't teach you then no one can. :p

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Jumpboot, to get a more "vintgaey" look with a modern padded tie, definitely try a four-in-hand.

Vintage ties form smaller knots because they aren't padded like modern ones. This is especially true of ties from the '30s, which are usually unlined and contain a minimum of materiel inside (usually just one thin strip of linen or muslin).

BTW, I quite like that tie. Good, traditional patterns like that are hard to find these days.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Great three-piece! They did a good job on tailoring the fit.

Here are a couple of points of input. If you are planning to get another similar suit made, you may want to go with wider lapels to balance out the higher button stance. Also, a more textured fabric will give it a stronger thirties look too!

JumpBoot

One of the Regulars
James: that's a great video, thanks very much!
Guttersnipe: I had no idea about the ties, that makes perfect sense, though. I'll try the four-in-hand next time. Thanks very much for the information.

Last edited:

JumpBoot

One of the Regulars
volvomeister13: I had it made in Kuwait when I was coming home from my most recent (and final!) deployment. The gentleman (he'll do orders, PM me if you want his info) did five suits and some fitted shirts for me and the work was really nice. The turn-around time was three days from the day I ordered it.

Last edited:

JumpBoot

One of the Regulars
5 suits and several shirts within 3 days?

Was this at a bespoke tailor?

Yes, Fastuni. It was three days per suit, on the average. I had them made one at a time, though. It was a bespoke tailor, yes. They were made completely to measure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points