Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My broken in Highwayman (about 3 months)

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
I have been waiting for a day when it doesnt rain to take some pictures of my jacket, and it was a big surprise to see another member posting his Highwayman today as well.

At first I was very annoyed that my arms have such a big difference on them, i specifically asked for smooth, but on of them is not smooth at all. Hovever, it is slowly being a smaller and smaller issue, and it actually feels kinda cool to have this difference on the same jacket. I also really cant complain because the overall look is just superb and thinking about the fact that I got this one as a remake, its "ok" to say the least.

Right out of the box. Notice the flat arms.
3.jpg

Tada!!

1.jpg

Thanks to the zipsleeves, and the fact that I have been keepin gthem zipped, I have alot of creases.
2.jpg

Here is the difference between the smooth arm and the not so smooth arm:
6.jpg

5.jpg

Close up of the leather:
4.jpg

3.jpg

The only thing making me not like the grainy arm is that it looks cheaper and not as beautiful. It is cool tho.

7.jpg

8.jpg

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
9.jpg

10.jpg

I love this jacket alot and really want one in cordovan, im thinking zipsleeves but with a breastpocket and with shiny brass zippers. Maybe with alpaca lining then I could use them in different periods so I dont use up the brown jackets quality time :D

Navin323i

Practically Family
Your jacket looks beautiful, bro! I honestly wouldn't worry about the one arm being smooth while the other one isn't. Keep in mind that as your jacket ages, the patina that develops won't develop in a symmetrical way so you'll be fine... besides, I really like how one arm is different than the other... it certainly adds to the "unique" quality of your special jacket. :)

I'm curious though... what did Aero say about how one arm is smooth while the other one isn't... did they plan on doing it that way with you, or was it the "luck of the draw" in picking out the various leathers they used for your jacket arms? In any case I think it looks fantastic and your jacket has definitely aged nicely in the past 3 months. :)

Navin

Edward

Bartender
I've found that this sort of variation in wear pattern tends to be more common on better quality leather - it's not been so processed or plasticised, so it has more of the natural variation in characteristics that you might expect. I think it looks great, myself.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Well, after the first jacket there was a little "difference of opinion" between me and Aero about who made the fault, and as it progressed I got the feeling they just wanted to give me my money back and be gone with me (this is my own interpretation tho) and I quickly felt I should change my aproach and just asked nicely if they could remake it and they agreed.

So basically, I just said "thank you, you are the greatest" and havent said anything negative at all about the jacket.

If it had been the first one tho, and since I specifically asked for "smooth and well matched hides" I would have regarded it as bad panel matching and basically sent it back. The lining isnt what I ordered either, this is some smooth and pretty nice lining but not as durable as brown cotton drill as I asked for.

All in all, since the jacket fits so extremely well there really is nothing else to feel then that Aero is the greatest and this is a superb jacket, and Im a lucky guy to get it lol

kyboots

Practically Family
Horse Skin

Griff if you don't like it and you are my size I would be happy to buy it from you. I will have to say being a horse owner, I find the horse hide somewhat repugnant when we could be using ugly old cows. However horses are like people some of the skin areas are different and more wrinkled and textured then the others. Look on the bright side this assures you that it is real horse hide not fake or plasticised to look the same, and custom made. Great looking jacket! One final note: you must be happy with your product and if not you should change it. If you requested the smooth to match specifically they are happy to do so because they didn't do their job as ordered. Don't keep something that is here and now. Don't settle for what you really wanted! For what you pay and the business you give and recommend, it should be perfect. Be happy! Just comments from a hick from the sticks. (PS My Aero is HH too) John

Chi-Town Co

Familiar Face
The jacket looks fantastic and very nicely broken in for just a few months.. I always heard it takes a bit to get horsehide broken in but your jacket looks incredibly soft and pliable. Did you do anything special to get it like that?

Thanks and enjoy the jacket.

Radu

Familiar Face
sleeves

Griff, my 3 month old HVM sleeves look exactly like yours. Right sleeve is smooth and the left arm is not, it look like has already gone through a war. Moreover, the entire left side above the breast pocket is less smooth and look like the sleeve. But I find it interesting and does not bother me at all. My only problem now is that the jacket is apparently not unique as I thought lol . Yours seems to look the same :( . lol . Nice jacket by the way.

Windward

Practically Family
Unique jacket for a unique guy

Hi Griff - looks like you have beaten the hell out of your jacket in such a short time!! Absolutely no reason to be annoyed - it is REAL Horsehide and the differents in smooth and grainy looks very interesting and make it unique -hope I could ease your mind a bit - you proud owner of a great broken in HWM.
cheers
BTW - I've already ordered one of my next AERO with the tan cotton lining because it looks great in combination with the brown HH - do you have any signs of wear with the lining?

Navin323i

Practically Family
kyboots said:
Griff if you don't like it and you are my size I would be happy to buy it from you. I will have to say being a horse owner, I find the horse hide somewhat repugnant when we could be using ugly old cows. However horses are like people some of the skin areas are different and more wrinkled and textured then the others. Look on the bright side this assures you that it is real horse hide not fake or plasticised to look the same, and custom made. Great looking jacket! One final note: you must be happy with your product and if not you should change it. If you requested the smooth to match specifically they are happy to do so because they didn't do their job as ordered. Don't keep something that is here and now. Don't settle for what you really wanted! For what you pay and the business you give and recommend, it should be perfect. Be happy! Just comments from a hick from the sticks. (PS My Aero is HH too) John

I feel the same way as you, John except the reverse... cows being sacred in my parents native country of India, I actually prefer using horsehide to cowhide. :D

Was it you who said a while back that your wife wouldn't approve of you owning a horsehide jacket so you didn't tell her yours is a horsehide jacket? If not then my apologies... sorry for going off-topic, Griff. Still love your jacket, bro. :D

Navin323i

Practically Family
Windward said:
Hi Griff - looks like you have beaten the hell out of your jacket in such a short time!! Absolutely no reason to be annoyed - it is REAL Horsehide and the differents in smooth and grainy looks very interesting and make it unique -hope I could ease your mind a bit - you proud owner of a great broken in HWM.
cheers
BTW - I've already ordered one of my next AERO with the tan cotton lining because it looks great in combination with the brown HH - do you have any signs of wear with the lining?

I'm going to take a guess here, my friend, and guess that your next Aero jacket is another Windward since I know you like that style of jacket? ;)

Can't wait to see your next jacket (I've actually lost count of how large your Aero leather jacket collection is now, LOL) :D

Dav

One Too Many
Hi Griff
Sorry for stealing your thunder with my thread earlier.
I think your jacket looks great, probably a better fit than mine infact. As for the wrinkled sleeve they look fine to me, the left side panel and the right armpit panel on mine seem to be of a more wrinkled hide, I just assumed the rest will catch up eventually.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
kyboots said:
Griff if you don't like it and you are my size I would be happy to buy it from you.

Nice try lol

kyboots said:
One final note: you must be happy with your product and if not you should change it.

As I said, the issue has become less and less important. The thing is that I had a steerhide version at first and it was like a bulletproof vest with every single panel totally smooth, thick, shiny and stiff. So it was a little wierd that this one had so many variations, specially after seing so many smooth jackets here.

Its also one of the side panel that is really "messed up" but it isnt very noticable, the worst of all is maybe the panel over the front yoke - it is kinda thin. However, the front under the yoke and the entire back is just absolutely mindblowingly perfect so I guess the maker chosed the very best for theese parts, its a good choice, specially the back yoke is very thick and smooth and this makes the jacket hang very nice.

I have gotten used to it, and also after hearing that more people have got mixed panles its not a big deal anymore. Everytime I wear it im very happy, and everytime I see myself in the mirror I love the look of it so I definately am satisfied.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Chi-Town Co said:
The jacket looks fantastic and very nicely broken in for just a few months.. I always heard it takes a bit to get horsehide broken in but your jacket looks incredibly soft and pliable. Did you do anything special to get it like that?

It isnt soft at all. I mean it is pliable in the moves I normally do, like arm movements, but it still hangs on me like it wants to and always has, and the collar is kinda hard if I bend my head backwards, and the back is still very robust - as are the front lower part.
It is mostly the arms that are easy to move it still hinders my movement specially when closed. Its gonna take many years for it to get soft. As you can see on the last pic it stands up halfway, if I put it in a corner it leans up straight. The handwarmer pockets are still tick and hard to get into, but they havent been used many times.

I showered it and wore it around the house, sitting in the sofa and lying in the bed and so on. I didnt get it very wet tho and it didnt make alot of diference aside from making it a little softer in the arms and it felt a little less boxy, but the looks didnt change much.

Then I just wore it everyday taking my kid to kindergarden, carrying her, playing with her in the evening, not rolling around on the ground or anything krazy just swinging her in the swing and things like that. I never cared if she had dirty shoes when I carried her I just wiped it off when I got home.

I always throw it on the floor at home and never hang it up.
It has been raining many times here since I got it, and once or twice it has gotten wet to the point where you can see it getting darker in some areas, those times I layed it nicely on a rug at home and let it dry like that.

The change in apearance has come from just wearing it and never trying to baby it, specially sitting on the subway, using the pockets, carrying stuff and so on, but I never tried to abuse it like rubbing agains walls for example.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Radu said:
Griff, my 3 month old HVM sleeves look exactly like yours. Right sleeve is smooth and the left arm is not, it look like has already gone through a war. Moreover, the entire left side above the breast pocket is less smooth and look like the sleeve. But I find it interesting and does not bother me at all. My only problem now is that the jacket is apparently not unique as I thought lol . Yours seems to look the same :( . lol . Nice jacket by the way.

Hey you gotta post pic! :p

The jacket is unique.....both of them :D

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Windward said:
cheers

Thanks man, yeah I feel alot better after you all chimed in on this.

This is what annoyes me about the lining....I feel I can see wear areas already!! But Its a little to early to say, It could be just the wear areas that gets shined some and the fabric that gets pressed down and then it might stay like that for years before actually being worn.

I will inspect it tomorrow for you. The lining is smooth and in all other regards a very nice lining IMHO. Much more comfy then the drill, and it feels like its breathing better too.

Has anyone ever thought about lining a jacket fully in cord? The cord is very very nice to the touch and its supposed to be tough as well. Im tempted to do it lol but with rayon overlay in the arms.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Dav said:
Hi Griff
Sorry for stealing your thunder with my thread earlier.
I think your jacket looks great, probably a better fit than mine infact. As for the wrinkled sleeve they look fine to me, the left side panel and the right armpit panel on mine seem to be of a more wrinkled hide, I just assumed the rest will catch up eventually.

Hehe, the more the merrier. About time people post more worn Aeros :D

I like the fit of my jacket, but know this - the straps are fully out and I dont have *any* wriggle room almost. If I just tighten them 1cm the jacket is tight against my hips. I almost cant wear a sweater under the jacket, well not if im gonna close it anyway.
I got this as a jacket to be worn over a t-shirt so it is trim, but this comes with limits to when I can wear it. Its nearing the point when this is too cold to use already. I have worn my alpaca cheyenne already once, and its time to chose that jacket more and more often, its already reching freezingpoint in the nights and you almost feel like gloves and hat in the morning, but Im pressing on with the Highwayman as long as possible :D

Yeah in a way I think it equals out a bit. My arm first got very wrinkly when creasing, but then the outer bumps of the creases got more smooth. On the other arm the inner creases has gotten more grainy.

UWEZ

New in Town
Hi Griff,

congrats, this is a very nice jacket. I have the same, but in black just a few weeks old.
I have a question: Why are the adjustable side-straps of your jacket completely open? Do you prefer a more loose fit around the waiste? I have the problem that I ordered leather inside on the hem to protect from wear, but therefor there is some additional leather inside, which increases some additional cm and let the jacket fit quite tight. The side-straps are now just long enough to fit in the last notch in the buckle. Hope you understand what I mean. Do you have the same phenomenon?
Regards
Uwe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk