Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My cross-button jacket from Cidu Genuine Leather Brand (China), or "The Handymike Re-Dye job"

Hey All,
The other day I received this Chinese knock-off (homage) to a cross-button jacket that I've wanted for a long time. Our friends in Greece make stellar versions of this model, but I never was willing to cough up the dough. I stumbled on this one in the classifieds and immediately jumped on it. Thanks to @dinomartino1 for a smooth transaction!
Here are the stock shots from AliExpress:
mime-8.jpg

mime-6.jpg

I was a little scared by the photo the seller sent of the rear back panel:
mime-4.jpg

I know, it looks like a sofa! but, the measurements and price were right...
It arrived in good time, and sure enough it fit really well...
I wasn't a fan of the couch like contrast however.
So, I decided to re-dye the jacket.
mime-1.jpg

mime-7.jpg
Here is the result:

Cidu-0001.jpg

Cidu-0010.jpg

and the new color in sunlight:
Cidu-0018.jpg

Cidu-0015.jpg

I'm much happier now!

Last edited:
Dang man that looks good too me! They really studied the original, right down to the interior pocket. I liked the leather before the dye job but I do think it looks richer post dye. Not friggn half bad at all for the price. Well done!

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It could almost pass for Shinki...if you don’t get too close, or touch it. :rolleyes:
I am staying off the more expensive chinese made jackets. God knows what they pass those re-dyed couch leather off as. Great job. Wish I am that handy seeing that I can find knockoffs of almost all the Freewheelers jackets on Taobao now. They even made a leather version of the wool Record Breaker.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Nice work, Mike. Will the dye be stable in wet conditions and will there be transfer if you sit on light couch? Someone should do a thread on which Chinese knock offs are best and what to look for.

You Know Seb, I haven’t a clue. It hasn’t rained here in 6 months, and we have a dark sofa. Truth be told, I always take off my jacket at the door.
I might give it a satin coat of crystal clear anyway to knock down the shine, and that should fix any dye transfer.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
You Know Seb, I haven’t a clue. It hasn’t rained here in 6 months, and we have a dark sofa. Truth be told, I always take off my jacket at the door.
I might give it a satin coat of crystal clear anyway to knock down the shine, and that should fix any dye transfer.

I was thinking about car seats and waiting room couches and furniture at friend's places, but I hear you. What is crystal clear?

Blackadder

Those actually look surprisingly good. Almost uncomfortably good. I’d buy one as a beater if I could even remotely figure out how.

Blackadder

I know someone is selling those on Yahoo Auction Japan at a premium not sure about ebay though.

Blackadder

Problem with Taobao is everything is in chinese only. If you can find someone who reads and writes chinese to help you set up etc, you may be able to get them to ship to US.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana