Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Custom Tailor redux

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Mr. Doran- it would be of great value to see a full shot of the whole suit
being worn.
From what we can see, the suit jacket does have an Edwardian look to it,
with the high closing, what appear to be skinny sleeves and those lapels.

Don't rule out minor surgery on those lapels, if you do ever have a change
of heart. Judicious lapel-reduction surgery, under your close scrutiny is a feasible option,
now that the suit is home.

A high, club collar and skinny tie would top it off.

This new suit is quite a revelation.
Thanks for sharing.

B
T

Creeping Past

One Too Many
BellyTank said:
Mr. Doran- it would be of great value to see a full shot of the whole suit
being worn.

+1, as they say.

It looks great. I like it.

Stick with the lapels until you start to like them. Your wife's right.

The 'lebensraum' issue crops up often in modern-vintage. I've encountered it with the Old Town trousers they call 'high rise' and in a suit I had made a couple of years ago. Maybe something to specify on your next purchase... for our approval. ;)

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Creeping Past said:
The 'lebensraum' issue crops up often in modern-vintage. I've encountered it with the Old Town trousers they call 'high rise' and in a suit I had made a couple of years ago. Maybe something to specify on your next purchase... for our approval. ;)

Yes- the waist is high enough, theoretically allowing more space but perhaps the "seat"
is not overly generous. Or maybe it's an upper leg panel/crotch seam placement issue.

B
T

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I WAS WRONG.

I wrote to them. They wrote back . It turns out that I WAS WRONG.

For the suit-template I chose from had a THREE-BUTTON JACKET.

Somehow I got confused in the (short) wait and thought I'd ordered a 1-button jacket suit. WRONG WRONG WRONG.

So the only thing weird about the lapels is their shape: the width (I did specify 5", which was too wide -- my fault) and the round bellies.

But, I now like it.

I'll post pics of myself wearing the entire suit within the next coupla days.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
For me the most important thing resulting from your experiment, Doran, barring pressing the wrong buttons and such, is that a good-looking suit in good quality durable fabric can be got relatively cheaply.

Why aren't we all doing it?

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
Great looking suit! Love the lapels!
Here's a three button dutch 1930's jacket, five inch lapels:
003-2.jpg

And here's a 1910's short frock, bellied four inch lapels:
004-2.jpg

Would not a "Diamond gusset" expand your lebensraum? I find a few of my trousers have these.

Dr Doran

Wow!

Wow. Scotrace's grampa (the last photo, young cat with boater) is not only the coolest boy in the neighborhood but those lapels are quite, quite close to mine.

So now we have it. The definitive, established precedent to the lapels I have.

Well, again, thanks gents for the comparanda-photos. And I must say, if you measure yourself right you can get a nice suit for $300 plus the circa $60 extra fee. Well under $400. I just turned 40 years old on Monday :eek: so a tailored (well, semi-tailored thousands of miles away :p ) suit seemed apropos for the occasion.

Dr Doran

Miss 1929 said:
Yummy suit. Gorgeous lapels. Are you wearing this to Max Raabe on Saturday?

I was planning on wearing my midnight blue vintage DB, but if you think I should wear this instead, perhaps I will.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Mysterious Mose said:
Jazz suit.

Some western swing in those yokes, to accompany the jazz in the collar.

Veering slightly off-topic, my local greengrocer's selling a variety of apple called 'jazz apples'. Sounds kind of euphemistic to me.

Nothing euphemistic about a jazz suit, I think.

Where was I....?

Edit: And how are the armholes?

BeauDiddley

New in Town
My tuppenceworth

Have to say I think the suit looks stunning - specially in that tweed:. a timeless classic.
On mycustomtailor I've always found them to be super - they've probably made me about seven suits and the only little details I don't like about any of them are things where I made a mistake myself - mistakes in measurements or forgetting to specify a particular feature such as working buttonholes, horn buttons, bemberg linings etc. Armholes, however, ARE a running battle, as with everywhere, but congratulations again on a fantastic suit.
Beau.

Dr Doran

The arm-holes are prefect on this one -- again, I explicitly told them what I wanted and used both the terms arm-holes and arm-scyes.

Now I just need to fotograf the whole thing.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner