Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My EUROPA desk clock - Made in Germany

Nick Halden

New in Town
Hello everyone, ladies and gentleman.

I show you mi desk clock, inherited from my grandfather. I hope you like it.

It's from the brand "Europa" made in Germany, I think it's from early 50's but I'm not sure. The left clock it's of course, a clock, mechanically very interesting, with alarm which can be activated or disactivated pulling a little lever.
The right one is an aneroid barometer which shows weather in english and french.

tL16yQal.jpg

yiVJJF4l.jpg

scyR1jSl.jpg

The clock may have some problem because it used to stop frecuently (even winding up everyday) and the barometer doesn't work. If someone can give me any idea or advice about how to improve the clock working or how to repair the barometer I will be very grateful. :rolleyes:
Of course any additional information about this clock or the manufacturer will be appreciated. [huh]

BigFitz

Practically Family
Very nice set. Are the hands and time pips on the clock glow in the dark? It looks like it from the photos. If so, it is more than likely Radium. I don't know about Europe, but in the US clocks with radium dials manufactured after 1950 will have an "R" or "Ra" marked on the clock somewhere.

GE-Man

New in Town
Very likely this clock is of east-german origin. "Europa" was one of there trademarks to hide that communist-taste for export to western countries. Real manufacturer is Ruhla/UMF/Glashütte. The dial plate resembles Glashütte watches somehow.

I found this via google image-search:
http://ostalgieruhla.wordpress.com/ruhla-brands/

Yes, your clock is a Ruhla. I am 99% sure.

Bad news is, that east-german watches are infamous for their cheap and simple Stiftankerwerke (Pin lever movements) which fail often and doesnt justify costs for repairs.

There are some rare exceptions. Not all east-german clocks did have pin-lever-movements. Some were electric.

Last edited:

navarre_au

New in Town
Sorry GE-Man but Europa was definitely a West German product.

It was made by Uhrenfabrik Senden GmbH in Bavaria - I used to repair many of these back in my day as an apprentice - they are lovely little clocks - very easy to work on - very easy to problem solve - and once repaired very very reliable for the owner.

To the OP Nick - you have a very nice looking clock\barometer there - it looks to be in good condition - and on the surface its probably been well repaired (Good giveaway of a bad repairer is marks on the bosses of the hands - and on these - scrape marks on the dial from the alarm hand not being well adjusted)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner