Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My favorite trick for snugging a slightly oversize hat

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I was in a hobby shop one day and noticed that they had strips of foam roadbed material for model trains. The foam is about 2" wide by 12" long and splits in the middle...so a half-width is the perfect size to fit behind a sweatband.

Here's a shot of a half-strip of the material. Note that one edge is beveled, which is a nice convenience that makes for a smoother fit behind the headband.

IMAG0157.jpg

I have a couple of hats that are just a bit oversize. If you tuck a half-width of the track foam behind the sweatband in back, you will make the hat about 1/4 size smaller. By varying the length of the foam, you can fine-tune the adjustment. I started out with 180 degrees of foam on one hat, and cut it back about 2" on each end - perfect fit.

If the foam tries to slide out from in back of the hatband, a couple of stitches through the hatband into the foam will secure it.

Here's a shot of a half-strip secured behind a fabric hatband in a Panama.

IMAG0158.jpg

I've been meaning to share this for some time, but got lazy and didn't get around to it. Most hobby shops that deal in model train accessories will have this foam - if you need to snug a hat up a little, check it out.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
A couple of years ago my bride was making fleece blankies for our little grandsons to toss down on the floor for watching TV and she had some narrow scraps left over. I was waiting for her one day ... Imagine that! ... and looking at these scraps and had a brain storm.
I grabbed a 1940s Dobbs that has always been a couple sizes too large and tried using this narrow fleece under the sweatband and it worked great. It puts less pressure on the original leather, it fills the void and it is more comfortable than most "fillers."

For what it's worth ...

Sadly, with a noggin the size of mine, this is rarely a problem.

Sam

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was in a hobby shop one day and noticed that they had strips of foam roadbed material for model trains. The foam is about 2" wide by 12" long and splits in the middle...so a half-width is the perfect size to fit behind a sweatband.

Here's a shot of a half-strip of the material. Note that one edge is beveled, which is a nice convenience that makes for a smoother fit behind the headband.

Village Hat Shop sent me some tape like that to size down a little an oversize Montecristi Panama hat. It works really well. Actually I use it on the outside of the sweatband, works fine. Very comfortable, no problem, I don't even know it's there except that it makes the fit exact and not approximate. And if it ever were tight, I would just shorten the tape a little. I like low-tech solutions to problems. I would add that the tape brings the added benefit of protecting the crown from getting sweat stains that could be visible on the outside. For a really expensive light-colored hat, that's a big help, as the sweatband itself is a cloth ribbon instead of leather.

Last edited:

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I use newspaper. It adds some fun for the future, because hopefully it will allow someone to date my hat more easily when it is vintage.

Chinaski

One Too Many
Akubra recommends you use folded kleenex tissue inside the leather sweatband. I followed their advice and it works like a charm.

Yeah, I like the sound of this idea, and I might have a chance to use it on a 7 3/8 I'm expecting in the next week - I'll have to wait and see how it fits on my 7 1/4 head.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Here's another one for you:

Y'know the Velcro tape with the adhesive backing? Use the fuzzy part and cut to desired length, then slip it under the sweatband in a place or two. If you like how it works after a couple day's wear, you can then remove the backing and actually stick it to the inside of the crown behind the sweatband. It's comfy due to the fuzziness acting like a cushion, but it's substantial enough to take up the slack. It's also plastic so it doesn't deteriorate.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
The best angle is just to have steel screws implanted in your skull and then add links to all your hats, then you can just lock your lid on and it won't matter if it's a little roomy, you'll still keep it on.

Just a suggestion :)

Sam

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The best angle is just to have steel screws implanted in your skull and then add links to all your hats, then you can just lock your lid on and it won't matter if it's a little roomy, you'll still keep it on.

Just a suggestion :)

Sam

I found when I do that that it also keeps the tinfoil lining the inside of my hats in place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points