Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Finest ART DECO Item

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

I'm not a major collector of Art Deco items, so the piece below is the best I've got. Just received it after months of installment payments -- I had to sell two of my pocket watches to get this one, which is from 1930 or so. (See photo below.)

And you? What is your finest Art Deco item?

watch002.jpg

K

kpreed

Nice One

I had a Pocket Watch very close to yours, but had to give it to my son. My Ataxia made winding a bit hard for me. I have a battery Pocket Watch now and it is not as good looking, but still has that "octagon" shape I do love so much.
Also, you might know this, but take off the back and the number on most Elgin's movement can be traced as for date, size, jewel's and etc.per the guy who serviced my watch.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Well, I have my 1939 World's Fair spoon that my great aunt gave me in 1951, and several miscellaneous deco era dishes, etc. But I'd have to say my favorites are these three.
First, the 30's vintage English oak side board I got on Ebay last summer:
SideboardMama.jpg

A 30's "Chinese" (don't know if it's authentic or not) screen that my wife acquired many years ago:
Chinesescreen.jpg

and a 30's Chinese Deco rug (definitely authentic) that I got on Craigslist, which I KNOW there's a picture of here somewhere, but I can't find it right now. I'll edit when I do. Here's a little 2 ft x 3 ft Chinese rug that I got to go with the big one.
Chineserug1.jpg

The big one is 9 x 12, with a gold background, and wonderful magenta borders.
I love antique rugs. I go totally nuts over them.

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
Marc, That is the watch of all watches!

This isn't mine but my fathers. From a French Hotel found by my grandfather in a salvage yard in New York.

lamoside.jpg

facedetail.jpg

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Well there's MY pocket watch...but that's a Victorian-era one from 1899! It's a Waltham, not an Elgin. There's photos of it in other threads around here...

My favourite art deco doohickey is my 1930 lever-fill Sheaffer Balance OS (Oversize), medium-nibbed fountain pen, in marine-green marbled celluloid.

This one:

balance.jpg

The photo does not do it justice. It's really quite pretty.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Just a common, everyday item but that's what makes it so cool.

artdecomagazinerack-1.jpg

It was in desperate need of a paint job, so I chose two colors that were common during that period.

artdecomagazinerack002-1.jpg

artdecomagazinerack003.jpg

Boodles

A-List Customer
This is the most amazing watch.

Mr Chevalier, Over the many years there have been a number of things I've seen the beauty of which is impossible for me to overstate; things like a polished P-38 Lightning, a Chrysler Airflow, the sunrise viewed from Mt Mitchell, a photo of the Nile taken by the Shuttle Crew, Catherine Deneuve. I could go on but you get the idea. Now I think I must add your watch to that list.
Marc Chevalier said:

I'm not a major collector of Art Deco items, so the piece below is the best I've got. Just received it after months of installment payments -- I had to sell two of my pocket watches to get this one, which is from 1930 or so. (See photo below.)

And you? What is your finest Art Deco item?

watch002.jpg

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Wow! Thanks, folks! I'm very impressed with all the items in this thread!

As for that pocket watch, well ... I really, really wanted it. The seller found it at an estate sale in East Los Angeles. Today, East L.A. is a heavily Latino area, but in the Golden Era a mix of German, Polish, Italian, Jewish and Latino immigrants lived there.

Using the movement's serial number, I just found out that the watch's year of manufacture is 1928. The movement is very pedestrian: it's only a 7-jewel, and over 2 million were mass produced. But who's complaining? Not me! http://elginwatches.org/cgi-bin/elgin_sn?sn=32241743&action=search

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points