My Finest ART DECO Item

Discussion in 'The Display Case' started by Marc Chevalier, May 4, 2009.

1. .

I'm not a major collector of Art Deco items, so the piece below is the best I've got. Just received it after months of installment payments -- I had to sell two of my pocket watches to get this one, which is from 1930 or so. (See photo below.)

And you? What is your finest Art Deco item?

[​IMG]

2. kpreed

kpreed Guest

Nice One

I had a Pocket Watch very close to yours, but had to give it to my son. My Ataxia made winding a bit hard for me. I have a battery Pocket Watch now and it is not as good looking, but still has that "octagon" shape I do love so much.
    Also, you might know this, but take off the back and the number on most Elgin's movement can be traced as for date, size, jewel's and etc.per the guy who serviced my watch.

3. shortbow

shortbow Practically Family

Gee Whiz, Marc, that thing is worth whatever pain it took to get. Outstanding!

4. J. M. Stovall

J. M. Stovall Call Me a Cab

I'm serious, that's the most amazing pocket watch I've ever seen? How big it it? Can we see something to scale it?

5. RetroPat

RetroPat Familiar Face

Simply amazing. I love Art Deco...and watches. Apparently it can be a dangerous combination.

6. zetwal

zetwal I'll Lock Up

Surreal and wonderful -

7. Thanks! It's a standard size for '30s pocket watches: a little more than 2 inches high.

8. JennyLou

JennyLou Practically Family

That is a really nice watch.

9. dhermann1

dhermann1 I'll Lock Up

Well, I have my 1939 World's Fair spoon that my great aunt gave me in 1951, and several miscellaneous deco era dishes, etc. But I'd have to say my favorites are these three.
    First, the 30's vintage English oak side board I got on Ebay last summer:
    [​IMG]
    A 30's "Chinese" (don't know if it's authentic or not) screen that my wife acquired many years ago:
    [​IMG]
    and a 30's Chinese Deco rug (definitely authentic) that I got on Craigslist, which I KNOW there's a picture of here somewhere, but I can't find it right now. I'll edit when I do. Here's a little 2 ft x 3 ft Chinese rug that I got to go with the big one.
    [​IMG]
    The big one is 9 x 12, with a gold background, and wonderful magenta borders.
    I love antique rugs. I go totally nuts over them.

10. J.J. Gittes

J.J. Gittes A-List Customer

Marc, That is the watch of all watches!

This isn't mine but my fathers. From a French Hotel found by my grandfather in a salvage yard in New York.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Shangas

Shangas I'll Lock Up

Well there's MY pocket watch...but that's a Victorian-era one from 1899! It's a Waltham, not an Elgin. There's photos of it in other threads around here...

My favourite art deco doohickey is my 1930 lever-fill Sheaffer Balance OS (Oversize), medium-nibbed fountain pen, in marine-green marbled celluloid.

This one:

[​IMG]

The photo does not do it justice. It's really quite pretty.

12. thunderw21

thunderw21 I'll Lock Up

Just a common, everyday item but that's what makes it so cool.

[​IMG]

It was in desperate need of a paint job, so I chose two colors that were common during that period.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Boodles

Boodles A-List Customer

This is the most amazing watch.

Mr Chevalier, Over the many years there have been a number of things I've seen the beauty of which is impossible for me to overstate; things like a polished P-38 Lightning, a Chrysler Airflow, the sunrise viewed from Mt Mitchell, a photo of the Nile taken by the Shuttle Crew, Catherine Deneuve. I could go on but you get the idea. Now I think I must add your watch to that list.

14. Ethan Bentley

Ethan Bentley One Too Many

That is a superb watch, octagonal - unusual.

15. Foofoogal

Foofoogal Banned

16. Sleepy LaGoon

Sleepy LaGoon New in Town

That is a really beautiful watch and may in fact be the coolest thing I have ever seen.

17. Wow! Thanks, folks! I'm very impressed with all the items in this thread!

As for that pocket watch, well ... I really, really wanted it. The seller found it at an estate sale in East Los Angeles. Today, East L.A. is a heavily Latino area, but in the Golden Era a mix of German, Polish, Italian, Jewish and Latino immigrants lived there.

Using the movement's serial number, I just found out that the watch's year of manufacture is 1928. The movement is very pedestrian: it's only a 7-jewel, and over 2 million were mass produced. But who's complaining? Not me! http://elginwatches.org/cgi-bin/elgin_sn?sn=32241743&action=search

18. Chas

Chas One Too Many

My Art Deco Slipshade lighting fixture.
    [​IMG]

19. PADDY

PADDY I'll Lock Up Bartender

Just found this clock...

For a song!! in a thrift/charity shop.

[​IMG]

20. cookie

cookie I'll Lock Up

Seriously beautiful Paddy.:eusa_clap :p