Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My First A-2®

Ugarte

A-List Customer
Some of you may recall that I picked up a Highwayman a few weeks ago. It nearly broke my arm when I picked it up . . . because it's really heavy. (rim shot)

I was interested in a lighter jacket and someone suggested an A-2. I looked into it and liked that style of the A-2, but not so much the prices. In an effort to find a bargain, I resorted to OFAS. They had a few in my size and I hoped to pick up an Aero or some other quality, horse hide jacket for not much coin. Unfortunately, those jackets went for about twice what I was willing to pay.

But I did find a Cooper that didn't look too bad. I did the research and found that the Cooper is a basic A-2 with some classical appointments, but hardly a reproduction quality jacket. I bit and paid somewhere just north of $150(US) for it.

Here's what it looks like. Please forgive the clutter -- I'm working with natural light in here and it's windy outside:

Fit seems okay. A little snug around the bottom.

Length is about right for a 46R.

I really need to lose some weight.

All zipped up and latched.

Sleeves are either perfect or about a 1/2" short. I can't tell.

It's got an interior pocket that seems to want to come unglued.

Pocket detail.

There's something printed on this tag besides the size, but it's of no consequence.

The Ideal zipper looks like it's made of plastic, but it's an alloy of some kind. It wreaks of inexpensiveness. And notice the two snaps that fasten the storm flap. They are actually useful as the storm flap wants to stand out rather proudly when the jacket is zipped.

The goatskin is thin. This is a really light jacket which is fine with me. I bought it as a compliment to my Highwayman. I've worn this jacket a bit and for all my misgivings when I pulled it out of the box, I have decided I like it. Given the sunny weather and temps in the 50's - 60's it's just about right.

I don't know how it will wear over time, but until I can afford something truly awesome, this is a terrific jacket. But what should I be saving up for? If money was no object, I think the Rough Wear would be the ticket.

Mark

cherrypicker

New in Town
Eastman make really good repro's but I have to say that the used Sefton that I have has aged so much better.The hide has really taken on some authentic looking figuring which the Eastman dosen't seem to have done.I think maybe the thickness of the hide may have something to do with this.The Sefton is thicker than the Eastman.Having said that,I think the Sefton jackets are no longer available,so it could be tricky getting hold of one.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Hi Mark,

I have always been a fan of Cooper A-2s, although I tend to buy the USAF issued Saddlery versions as opposed to the civilian Coopers. Coopers are not authentic WWII A-2s, but they don't try to be. Instead, they are well made, affordable, comfortable jackets which are cut for the modern man.

By the way, Rough Wear was one of the original WWII contractors. They no longer exist. A few high-end repro makers do a RW copy, but an original Rough Wear in our size 46 (WWII size 48-50) would be very, very expensive.

Here's one of my Saddlery A-2s.

Dscn0078.jpg

Atticus

Ugarte

A-List Customer
cherrypicker said:
Eastman make really good repro's but I have to say that the used Sefton that I have has aged so much better.The hide has really taken on some authentic looking figuring which the Eastman dosen't seem to have done.I think maybe the thickness of the hide may have something to do with this.The Sefton is thicker than the Eastman.Having said that,I think the Sefton jackets are no longer available,so it could be tricky getting hold of one.

I'm not familiar with Sefton, but I have heard of ELC. Their Rough Wear contract 1401 looks really nice. If I had an extra $900 or so.... :)

Mark

Ugarte

A-List Customer
Atticus Finch said:
Hi Mark,

I have always been a fan of Cooper A-2s, although I tend to buy the USAF issued Saddlery versions as opposed to the civilian Coopers. Coopers are not authentic WWII A-2s, but they don't try to be. Instead, they are well made, affordable, comfortable jackets which are cut for the modern man.

By the way, Rough Wear was one of the original WWII contractors. They no longer exist. A few high-end repro makers do a RW copy, but an original Rough Wear in our size 46 (WWII size 48-50) would be very, very expensive.

Here's one of my Saddlery A-2s.

Very nice looking Jacket there Atticus. I understand that Rough Wear is no longer around. I have been looking at repro's by ELC. They are good reproductions which makes them only "very expensive". Someday....

As for the cut of the Cooper, I am fairly impressed by the fit of mine. I was prepared for something too short or too bulky, or too something. However, this seems to fit very nicely.

Though it's not a reproduction I'm actually quite pleased. I'll wear this jacket a lot.

Mark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy