Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My first hat experiment

DRB

One Too Many
I saw this hat on ebay. I was looking at the velours. I saw this poor pathetic looking hat and decided to rescue it. It is from the 50's I assume, as I found this advertisement:
Myfirsthatexperiment1.jpg

Myfirsthatexperiment1b.jpg

Myfirsthatexperiment1a.jpg

I wanted to see how a hat was made so I tore it apart and went to work on it. wet it down, shrank it (too big) with alternating hot and cold water, and vinegar.
Myfirsthatexperiment1c.jpg

After shaping and shaping, I let it dry and painted the underneath with stiffener.
Myfirsthatexperiment1e.jpg

Myfirsthatexperiment1f.jpg

I am still waiting on the petersham and liner to arrive but here I am wearing it, with a smile....
Myfirsthatexperiment1g.jpg

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Petersham is so great to work with ... I will never go back to poly ribbon again, even though the Petersham is harder to find.

You did a great job.
Are you replacing the sweat?
Post again when you're done.

You ARE the man!

Sam

DRB

One Too Many
Thanks Alan:
The hat actually shrank pretty well. I was able to make the brim longer with the extra felt too.

Same: YOU da man..

DRB

One Too Many
Sorry Sam, I (mispelled) / misspelled your name (same).

Thanks for the support my friends.:)

The hat pin which I thought was unfashionable was, I am told by the ebay seller, a pin worn by firefighters. Looking at it, I couldn't tell, all I knew is, it HAD to go.:eeek:

fmw

One Too Many
You guys are great craftspeople. If I tried that, I would make things worse. Nice job.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
You guys are great craftspeople. If I tried that, I would make things worse. Nice job.

Actually, there are a lot of things you can do yourself.
I'm just not sure I'm up to the sweat replacing yet, especially since the difference in price after paying for a new sweat ...that will still need to be sized and altered before being sewn in ... is only about $8 difference from what the hatshop in Wichita charges for the job. I just know about 2 hours into trying to replace a sweat, that $8 will seem pretty cheap

On the other hand,

The shaping, trimming and even ribbon replacement gets to be enjoyable, I think.
You just have to take you time and .... especially with the ribbon ... start with the right stuff.

I tried making cheap poly ribbon work
It just doesn't
It never looks as good as Petersham ... and any more it's not THAT much cheaper. Just harder to find

Sam

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk