Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My First Vintage-ish G-1

Deacon211

One Too Many
Well, I finally gave in to the madness and decided to go searching a bit for a near-vintage G-1. I have no shortage of nice repros with my older G+B M-422A/G-1 combo, an excellent Eastman G-1, and a Goodwear sometime in the future.

But, I had always been disappointed with the jacket I was issued as a replacement in 2004 for my original G-1. It was rubbery, shapeless, and lacked all the character of my first flight jacket.

So, as a start, I bid on a 1973 Brill Bros, mostly as a lark...and wound up winning it.

She's a nice jacket. Not quite among the best of the vintage, but still with more character than my recent issue. I may try to find one size larger, but I'm a bit afraid that it'll be too big...I tend to live between sizes.

Anyway, here she is...

Deacon

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Lovely G-1. I can see what you mean by maybe wanting a tad larger, only for an extra inch in the sleeves and body, but in truth I think it looks great and it's by no means too short.

Wear and enjoy I say!

The Good

Call Me a Cab
That jacket fits very well, I think. It's also a good color, which I like a little more than the very dark seal brown color. I would want to get a G-1 jacket that fits much how it appears in the pictures, form fitting and with somewhat shorter sleeves. I had a modern-made (Non-military) G-1, but I don't wear it anymore because I lost weight, and I gave it to a brother.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Yeah, that's a great looking G-1, and the fit is spot on IMHO.
I would love to find another 60's or 70's G-1 in my size, but chances are that I never will.
There's no end of good WW2 USN flight jacket repros, but no one makes an accurate copy of those nasty Vietnam era jackets, and that's a shame. Back to scouring the net for my size...

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
The 1973 Brill is a sturdy jacket, but its hardcore E-series, which normally translates to embossed cowhide and a Dynal collar. If you are going to purchase another G-1, I would suggest looking for a jacket with a black tag. Most…but not all…"black tag" G-1s are D-series or earlier and are made from real goatskin. Those from middle 1969 and earlier will also have a mouton collar.

Again…just a suggestion…but Star Sportswear seems to have made some of the better G-1s during the Vietnam era. So did Ralph Edwards.

Finally, I think I would size up one size from the Brill. I guess it boils down to personal preference, but I like to have some room in my G-1s so that I can wear more than just a T-shirt beneath them. They aren't warm jackets, and a thin sweater under your G-1 feels mighty good on a cold day.

AF

Deacon211

One Too Many
Thanks guys. That's good gouge on the black label.

As for size, I seem permanently trapped between sizes. It's not so much the waist or even the chest, but I'm broad across the back like a dock worker apparently. Unfortunately, when I get a jacket that fits me in the shoulders, I feel like I swim in it at the waist.

Here's my Pharr brand 2004 issue jacket. When I went to trade in my initial issue, which was a 44, I found I had to go up to a 48 to get the shoulders to fit. But it feels very baggy in the torso...

Now, here's my best fitting G-1 ever, the Eastman. This seems to have been cut narrow at the waist and cuffs, but broad in the back and sleeves....

So, while the Brill does fit a bit tight in the shoulders, I'm afraid it will look like the Pharr if I size up. The layering I'm not too worried about. I tend to run hot, so I rarely wear sweaters. If it's too cold for the G-1, then it's probably time for my old B-6 or my new Irvin. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Deacon211

One Too Many
Does anyone know about how the Schott G-1s fare? Looking at some pictures, it appears to be made of that same homogenous grained leather that my last issue one was.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
This is something like you may want to look for. The black tag immediately tells you the jacket was made before 1973. A closer inspection of the tag reveals that it is a D-series G-1 made in 1971. That means the jacket is definitely made from goatskin and definitely has a Dynal collar.

JackiesTesters165.jpg

AF

Deacon211

One Too Many
Thanks AF. Yeah, that is definitely good gouge. I'm going to be looking for that in the future. With three repros and my original, I say that I probably won't need another G-1...but you know how that goes.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I believe yes by '73. I'm OK with it and it's curled nicely.

Yep. There's nothing wrong with Dynal collars. I like mouton, but original mouton is typically moth-eaten and has bald spots. Actually, synthetic fur collars are not modern inventions in flight jackets. My early '50s N-jackets have synthetic mouton in their hoods and synthetic badger fur ruffs.

AF

Deacon211

One Too Many
Yep. There's nothing wrong with Dynal collars. I like mouton, but original mouton is typically moth-eaten and has bald spots. Actually, synthetic fur collars are not modern inventions in flight jackets. My early '50s N-jackets have synthetic mouton in their hoods and synthetic badger fur ruffs.

AF

Hey AF,

I had read that Dynel was just a moth resistant wool/synthetic blend. Is that true?

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I had read that Dynel was just a moth resistant wool/synthetic blend. Is that true?

I've never heard that. I just googled "Dynal" and the articles I read said it was entirely synthetic. I've always heard that the Navy started using Dynal in the place of mouton, not as a cost savings, but because it is tougher and retains its color essentially forever. As you know, moths and other varmits love to eat mouton and it fades from regulation seal brown to a honey color with UV exposure.

AF

Deacon211

One Too Many
I had heard that about the reason for the switch. I can't remember where I heard that about the blend, but it was probably just one of those things you hear on the internet.

I'm looking forward to my ELC fading a bit but, as my days at sea are mostly behind me, it might take awhile. ;)

Peacoat

Bartender
Atticus, as always, thanks for your knowledge on these jackets.

I have a 2001 DSCP Excelled and a 1962 Irvin B. Foster. The mouton collar on the Foster has two small bare spots on the right side. These G-1s are fun knock around jackets for mild temperatures. Both of mine are large enough for a sweater underneath, but if I need a sweater, I usually go with something else.

Edward

Bartender

AF

...and a I recall, the B15 went faux from the C onwards(?). No complaints from me on that score - being moth-proof is certainly a bonus!

Deacon211

One Too Many
Atticus, as always, thanks for your knowledge on these jackets.

I have a 2001 DSCP Excelled and a 1962 Irvin B. Foster. The mouton collar on the Foster has two small bare spots on the right side. These G-1s are fun knock around jackets for mild temperatures. Both of mine are large enough for a sweater underneath, but if I need a sweater, I usually go with something else.

How did you like the Excelled? I can't remember the brand of my original 1990 jacket, but the leather was much nicer than the Pharr from 2004. I also saw a 2001 Schott on the Bay and it looked like it had that same grainless leather of the Pharr.

I now kick myself daily for turning in my original jacket though I suspect that it wouldn't fit me anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto