Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My G-1 Lineup (Others Invited)

Deacon211

One Too Many
Since I had recently been digging for pics of the various repro makers and read the thread of others engaged in the same effort, I have taken a few quick shots of my current lineup for reference.

I'd invite anyone else to fill in the gaps so that we have a good cross section of what is available and originals are welcome as well as repros.

First, my 2004 Issue jacket from the Naval Supply in Pensacola (had to turn in my old one and get a letter from my mommy...erm, I mean my skipper...to get it). The label says Pharr Industries. A good, tough jacket, but kind of vinyl in appearance. You can see that there are relatively few character folds in the leather. It's almost like thick cloth. It's also interestingly sized at 48, though I had previously worn a 44 and now wear a 46 comfortably. My previous jacket, issued in '92, was better. It had a nicer grain closer to the Gibson and Barnes shown below (though not nearly as high quality) and was just a bit thinner than any of the good repro makers. Dynel collars on both, of course.

Next, a Gibson and Barnes M-422A (circa 1997) customized with the rounded G-1 collar and double knit cuffs/waistband so that it didn't stick out like MORE of a sore thumb around the squadron. Actually, many pilots had custom G-1s made, (generally overseas) though they mostly hewed closer in color at least to the standard G-1. They also didn't come close to the G+B in quality. The leather is beautifully grained, substantial, but supple. The mouton collar is a great shade that matches the more russet color of the leather perfectly. Importantly, the cut is trim and military like the issue jackets and unlike the current G+B G-1 which is very roomy. This one is a size 44. One thing to note is that G+B was/is pretty generous in their collar size. Not like '70's big, but bigger than any of my other G-1s and thus rounder.

Lastly is my recently acquired Eastman G-1. This one was a bit of a surprise. The jacket is traditionally made (I'm led to understand) and comes out of the box pretty stiff. In fact, at first I was a little concerned that the jacket would maintain that almost pleather appearance found on those much hated pebbled cowhide jackets that the flight students tried to dodge in Pensacola. As I didn't have the heart to use any of the traditional break in methods with this jacket that I have used on my other jackets, the first folds, particularly in the back, looked a little odd at the time.

However, after a few weeks of wearing the heck out of the jacket and not being afraid to work up a good sweat in it, it has started to show some real richness and character. The mouton is worth special note. It at first appears to be simply a great shade of matching brown. But, like a hand made lamb's wool rug, the mouton will change color a bit in different lighting. It's a great effect that may fade as the wool breaks in, but I think it really shows the beauty of the material. The leather is now similarly complex in its shading, ranging from a deep brown to almost a dark reddish mahogany in the light. The texture is a bit hard to describe. It looks incredibly soft and well broken in in photos....especially in the HPA website pics. But when you touch the skin, it still feels tough as nails; though no longer pleathery. Any other leather that started this stiff would have denoted relatively low quality to me. But this one just gets better every day.

Overall a great jacket and better looking at three weeks than any jacket I've ever owned.

Here is a bonus shot of the Eastman back when it was newer. Those big folds were more or less permanent even when you laid the jacket down. Since that time, however, the whole jacket has become much more pliable and the odd folds have blended in somewhat.

I'd love to see anyone else's G-1s real or repro along with what you thought of them. I'm thinking of a true M-422a for my next acquisition and I'd love to see pics of what's out there!

Deacon

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Very nice lineup and thanks for sharing. I am scheduled to P/U something similar to the G-1, an AN-J-3, at G&B while I am in San Diego next month. An original G-1 issued to me in Pensacola in 1967 was stolen. Anyhow, you gave an A+ presentation with information and pictures.

Deacon211

One Too Many
Very nice lineup and thanks for sharing. I am scheduled to P/U something similar to the G-1, an AN-J-3, at G&B while I am in San Diego next month. An original G-1 issued to me in Pensacola in 1967 was stolen. Anyhow, you gave an A+ presentation with information and pictures.

I'd love to see it! Very sorry to hear about your G-1. There are a lot of memories in those wrinkles that you can never get back.

A damn shame.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Here's an old timer I used to own a few years back. I dont really know any history of it but it all looked original. Goat, real mouton collar, lining was a man made affair, paperclip zip. I think the name tag was to a commander of the USMC and the patch has VMF or something similar 'Black Knights'

In the usual places such as under the forearm the brown has rubbed off partially to reveal a blackish colour underneath. Either that or it's just oil.

?? Harrier ?? the ex Royal Navy aircraft?

P1230019.jpg

J

Deacon211

One Too Many
I only did one tour in Harriers, though I will always consider myself a Harrier pilot since that was my fleet aircraft.

I did my first tour with VMA-211 and deployed to MCAS Iwakuni Japan as my primary deployment. Came back and did a tour with 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines as a FAC deploying again with the 11th MEU on the Essex. Things were pretty lean in the Harrier community in those days so I asked to go to the training command and flew the T-45A for my last tour active duty. After I got off active duty, I spent a year with 4th ANGLICO, a sort of Super FAC unit, and finished with many years flying UC-35Ds and UC-12Bs up at NAF Washington. We took our Citation over to the Gulf for a rotating deployment, but that was pretty cushy compared to kicking down doors in Baghdad.

EDIT: Sorry, got cut off. @J It looks like that is VMFA-314 Black Knights. I think the first time they used the "FA" designation for Fighter Attack would have been with the Phantom. The wings look a little crunched but that is probably the fold.

A nice looking "Old Corps" jacket! :)

Deacon

Last edited:

Tkecks

Familiar Face
You guys have a lot to answer for in getting me into these jackets! I really like the G-1, but have not found an A-2 that I like yet. Here are a couple of recent acquisitions:

First up is a 1971 STAR 7823D G-1 in size 46. As this is a D-series it is still goat, although I have a STAR 1972 E-series that is also goat.

Last edited:

Tkecks

Familiar Face
Next up is a 1962 Ralph Edwards 7823B, size 46. The label is difficult to decipher, but compared to other Ralph Edwards of the era (on other websites) it's clear that is what it is. I love the rich red mouton collar, and the goat is notably thicker and heavier than the 1971 (D, above) and 72 (E) Star G-1's. the heaviness is more similar to cowhide.

Note that it has a little label to the left of the main label that has a faded "20" printed on it. Not sure what that means.

Still... I find it a little shorter than I would like in the back, and would be willing to try and stretch it.. or maybe trade if someone has a 48 they find a bit big.

(I would take nice outside pictures, but up here in Montana there doesn't seem to be as much daylight as there used to be, at least outside of work hours.)

Last edited:

Tkecks

Familiar Face
This one doesn't have a label, but I think it is a mid-1970's Imperial Leather 7823E cowhide, ~sz 46. It's a lighter more reddish brown than the other seal-colored jackets. The fit is really nice, and it's the longest of all the size 46 G-1's I have tried on. I wish it didn't squeak so bad though. Does anyone have a method to de-squeak these? Do they ever stop squeaking when properly broken in?

Last edited:

Deacon211

One Too Many
Beautiful! That is an unbelievable collection! I love the red collar.

I am coming back from Pensacola and will post a few pics from down there when I get home.

Deacon

Last edited:

Deacon211

One Too Many
OK, back from the "Cradle of Naval Aviation". If you ever get the chance, it is well worth the trip to the Museum of Naval Aviation. So, here are some pics of the jackets on display there:

This one I thought was particularly interesting. It's the jacket of the second female Naval Aviator winged in '77, IIRC. For the era of the faded glory of flight jackets, this one is really nice and I'd love to find one about like this.

Deacon211

One Too Many
Also, while I was there I noted that they sell Cockpit USA jackets in both the Pensacola Naval Exchange and the museum. These seem like the "mil-spec" ones that the Cockpit offers, but they feel kind of floppy compared to the one I bought many years ago. Maybe they make them softer these days because no one wanted to walk around looking like an FNG while their jacket broke in. Another thing that I thought was interesting is that they really cut the bottom corners off the pockets, much more so than on any jacket I've ever seen. It does make it look a bit like a caricature of a G-1 or maybe "a G-1 writ large" might be a better way of putting it. Still and all, it seems to fit well enough, though it has some odd angles that I think just require some wearing out. The leather was a bit variable across jackets but looks nicely grained in the pics. I suspect that some of these jackets have been sitting around on the hangers for a long time since the last place you are likely to sell a G-1 jacket is on the base where they hand the real ones out for free.

I also wonder a bit if the Cockpit didn't supply a sort of "G-1 Lite" to the museum for mass production. These were running between $450 and $470 which is what they are in the catalogues. As the museum isn't above a little price gouging, I was surprised that they weren't charging more.

So, I guess I'm saying that this may not be the state of the art of the Cockpit G-1.

At the risk of running on as I do even longer, I also went to see the guys who actually issue the real G-1s to the pilots. G-1s are a tightly held item and so every G-1 in the Navy/Marines comes from one building...they are not distributed to the fleet through the normal supply chain. I got to see a brand new G-1; this one made by Excel Leather (I don't believe it was "Excelled" but I could be wrong). According to the GS guys I spoke with, there are only one or two vendors making flight jackets for the military these days, Excel was one and the one I have indicated Pharr Brand was another. The quality was about like my other issue jacket on the previous page, kind of smooth and processed with little grain. I think the day of the old school flight jacket has now truly passed, though the current issue is certainly functional enough.

Anyway,

please keep the pics coming. I'd really like to see some GoodWear, BK, and Aero pics up close, just to compare and contrast for those in the market.

Deacon

Last edited:

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
Love the G-1! Thanks for posting. Here is my "current issue" G-1. It was issued to me at that same warehouse in Pensacola in 2002 when I was going through API. I know a lot of purest put down the current issue jacket, but it has kept me warm in the cockpit when the Environmental Control System (ECS) was broken in the helo. Or when I had to fly in the back with the doors open for whatever reason. Not to mention pre-flighting on cold winter days. It has served its purpose well. After all, it's not a show piece, it's a functional piece of issued flight gear.

Deacon211

One Too Many
Nice ones, guys.

Yeah, I understand what your saying Treetopflyer. My two G-1s hung in there for many years and I am reluctant to let my old one go. Still, I love the character of the older jackets; the quality of the leather, the faded mouton and wish they still made them that way. My original G-1 was actually nicer, but I just don't have a good picture of it.

Which kind of leads me to something I often wonder. Are the modern repro makers as good as the originals, or are they actually better? I mean the new repros are hand selected and sewn for the discerning eye while the originals were cranked out as part of a big contract. Are the best of the new jackets actually better than the originals?

I understand the argument that it's hard to find hides of the same quality as was once available, but you know what I mean.

Anyway, thanks for posting and please keep them coming.

Deacon

BTW, I see I was wrong in my post above. The jacket is clearly made by Excelled leather. The one I saw in Flight Gear issue I thought said "Excel" but I was apparently wrong.

Also, is that a Tipsy Gypsy nametag or Wings and Things? I always loved the style.

2wheelgrplr

A-List Customer
Also, while I was there I noted that they sell Cockpit USA jackets in both the Pensacola Naval Exchange and the museum. These seem like the "mil-spec" ones that the Cockpit offers, but they feel kind of floppy compared to the one I bought many years ago. Maybe they make them softer these days because no one wanted to walk around looking like an FNG while their jacket broke in. Another thing that I thought was interesting is that they really cut the bottom corners off the pockets, much more so than on any jacket I've ever seen. It does make it look a bit like a caricature of a G-1 or maybe "a G-1 writ large" might be a better way of putting it. Still and all, it seems to fit well enough, though it has some odd angles that I think just require some wearing out. The leather was a bit variable across jackets but looks nicely grained in the pics. I suspect that some of these jackets have been sitting around on the hangers for a long time since the last place you are likely to sell a G-1 jacket is on the base where they hand the real ones out for free.

I also wonder a bit if the Cockpit didn't supply a sort of "G-1 Lite" to the museum for mass production. These were running between $450 and $470 which is what they are in the catalogues. As the museum isn't above a little price gouging, I was surprised that they weren't charging more.

So, I guess I'm saying that this may not be the state of the art of the Cockpit G-1.

At the risk of running on as I do even longer, I also went to see the guys who actually issue the real G-1s to the pilots. G-1s are a tightly held item and so every G-1 in the Navy/Marines comes from one building...they are not distributed to the fleet through the normal supply chain. I got to see a brand new G-1; this one made by Excel Leather (I don't believe it was "Excelled" but I could be wrong). According to the GS guys I spoke with, there are only one or two vendors making flight jackets for the military these days, Excel was one and the one I have indicated Pharr Brand was another. The quality was about like my other issue jacket on the previous page, kind of smooth and processed with little grain. I think the day of the old school flight jacket has now truly passed, though the current issue is certainly functional enough.

Anyway,

please keep the pics coming. I'd really like to see some GoodWear, BK, and Aero pics up close, just to compare and contrast for those in the market.

Deacon

This looks to be the same as the goatskin G1 I tried on at the NYC Cockpit store earlier today. I had gone to pick up my horsehide A2 (their "WW2 govt issue") and even though was in a rush, decided to quickly try on a few jackets lying around that were my size. This was one, their "US Navy issue mil-spec $460," another was their "Navy G1 $680" in "antique lambskin" - thicker quilted lining and removable sheep collar, as opposed to the thinner lining and non-removable collar of the Navy-issue. Fit-wise the goatskin US-Navy-issue-mil-spec (size 40) was much better on me, slimmer closer fitting than the lambskin one (size M) that was longer & slightly looser fitting. And yes, it's quite soft and not very thick - just a little bit thicker than the A2 I picked up.

Sadly, no pics to share.

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
Deacon, your G&B has great leather. Is that the goat? Breaking in very nicely.

If I can get off my butt, I will post pictures of my 1962 Irvin B. Foster and my 2001 Excelled (DSCP). The shell on the Excelled actually feels like goat, but I don't think goat was being used that far along in the series? Atticus, or one of the other G-1 experts, will know for sure. The Foster is definitely goat.

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
To answer your question Deacon, it's a Wings & Things nametag. I had heard too many stories about how guys had to wait several months for their nametags from Tipsy Gypsy. I have been contemplating putting on some more of my squadron patches. I kind of like the "clean" look of the jacket, but I go back and forth on the idea. Mainly because in the Helo community we don't "patch up" our jackets the way the fixed wing guys do. Maybe after I retire I will.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana