Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Hollywood Starlet Dress

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Hubby and I attended our annual 1940s-style USO this past Saturday. I wore a killer 1940s dress, which was a real find at my favorite local shop (it had been put on the floor right before I stopped in.)

So, I thought I would post a pic of the two of us just for fun!

The dress is made out of cream and black crepe, with scattered rhinestones covering the top and the appliquéd pocket. I actually pulled the belt from my closet--it matched perfectly and really tied the outfit together. For shoes, I am wearing the black suede platforms I posted about earlier this month. At first they seemed too narrow, but they turned out to be very comfortable.

My husband is wearing his Army Air Corps Uniform--he's very proud of it!

Here's the photo (it's a tad small, and when I am standing straight the dress drapes properly):
47b5dd01b3127cce909a190f372000000016108AatmbRq2ctP

Nick Charles

Practically Family
your favorite shop

You look great was the dance in Mesa? By the way where is your favorite shop? I've only found 1 that is really stocked but they have little mens stuff. :jeep:

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Thanks! :)

Yes, the dance was in Mesa at Falcon Field. We go every year and always have a good time.

My favorite local shop is Matilda's Closet, at 58th Ave and Glendale (in Old Town Glendale.) She doesn't have a huge men's section, but it is fairly well stocked. I do think that men's clothing is much harder to come by in general, but she tries to do her best!

MissTayva

jitterbugdoll said:
Thanks! :)

Yes, the dance was in Mesa at Falcon Field. We go every year and always have a good time.

My favorite local shop is Matilda's Closet, at 58th Ave and Glendale (in Old Town Glendale.) She doesn't have a huge men's section, but it is fairly well stocked. I do think that men's clothing is much harder to come by in general, but she tries to do her best!

A friend just told me about that store... people out here are so weird about stuff like that. They hide the fact that decent vintage stores do exist. I know a few gals out here that deal vintage clothing (mainly through eBay), and they try to act like they only travel out of town to purchase their wares. The funny part is, I can never recall any of them actually leaving town for a weekend, haha! They want to hoarde it all to themselves...

Maybe I'd be in luck over there. I hardly ever find anything I like. Lately, the ol' man has been finding a lot of great stuff. I recently sold a huge lot of vintage to Buffalo Exchange because I wanted it out of the house... I guess I could have taken it to a vintage store! Oh well...

MissTayva

jitterbugdoll said:
The dress is made out of cream and black crepe, with scattered rhinestones covering the top and the appliquéd pocket. I actually pulled the belt from my closet--it matched perfectly and really tied the outfit together. For shoes, I am wearing the black suede platforms I posted about earlier this month. At first they seemed too narrow, but they turned out to be very comfortable.

That is a beautiful dress! It looks great on you. I could never pull of that look, hehe. You look very lovely!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, MissTayva!

They probably hide their knowledge of vintage stores because there are so few out here in Arizona. Matilda's is pretty much the only store devoted to clothing--most places feature a small section in the store, if they have a clothing section at all.

What do you normally look for, and what size do you wear? I generally stick to 30s-40s pieces, and I wear a modern size 6 (vintage 14-18). I tend to find a lot of nice pieces at Matilda's.

Anyway, if you go, you must tell Rose and Sandy that I sent you!

MissTayva

jitterbugdoll said:
Thanks, MissTayva!

They probably hide their knowledge of vintage stores because there are so few out here in Arizona. Matilda's is pretty much the only store devoted to clothing--most places feature a small section in the store, if they have a clothing section at all.

What do you normally look for, and what size do you wear? I generally stick to 30s-40s pieces, and I wear a modern size 6 (vintage 14-18). I tend to find a lot of nice pieces at Matilda's.

Anyway, if you go, you must tell Rose and Sandy that I sent you!

Yeah, they hide it, but I seriously don't see any people out here wearing it other than a couple of people. Haha...
Anywho, I usually like '50s stuff... but really flashy pieces! Novelty prints, lurex, gabardine (a BIG must), and of course, formal dresses. I actually am always on the lookout for '50s mens shirts, small-sized, but unusual looking. I like wearing those on casual days :) I wear vintage size 18... I am carless at the moment, or else I'd probably find the place right now!

Oh, speaking of vintage stores.... there is one in McGuireville (right off I-17 the other side of Camp Verde). I can't remember the name, but the old ladies that own it have a LOT of 1930s/40s garb there (that's pretty much all they carry!). They had a ton of shoes there the last time, and they were CHEAP!

Oh, check this out... I just purchased this:

A Beautiful Dress!

It arrived yesterday and is BEAUTIFUL!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran