Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Introduction, Great Grandfather, and new Panama Hat

Starius

Practically Family
Hello everyone.

First, I'd like to thank "Undertow" for showing me this discussion board. I knew him back in my college days and I never would have guessed him for a vintage fashion connoisseur back then - I'm fairly sure he wouldn't have expected the interest in me either. Funny how that sort of thing works out.

I'd like to share a bit of family background here, for my introduction. I'm lucky enough to have known my Great Grandfather, Conrad. I'm lucky in that I have a few but very fond memories of him. Whether the memory is of him puttering about the farm with my grandfather and father, planting a tree with me, or bouncing me on his knee, or even brushing his teeth (which blew my fragile young mind - why, he took his teeth out of his head to clean! I'm told my eyes almost popped out of my head.); just about every memory I have of him includes this old straw fedora.

IntroHat1.jpg

He passed away when I was seven years old. It was the first time I was really exposed to death and mortality. At some point later, things of his were being thrown out. Maybe it was years later when his wife, my great grandmother, died. I don't remember exactly. That was not a fun time either way. Family members each trying to get items and heirlooms they wanted.... left a bitter taste in my mouth. It felt like vultures to me. But what I do remember is finding my Great Grandfather's straw "work hat" in the trash. I rescued it. I couldn't fathom why it was being thrown away.... that hat represented him more than anything in the world, in my mind. It meant so much to me and I couldn't understand why it wouldn't to the rest of the family either. But all the better I suppose. It meant it would be mine, all to myself. A little piece of my great grandfather, a memory just for me.

In middle school, I remember wearing the hat for "hat day." I remember my head almost swiming in it. It hasn't fit me for years now. Its hard for me to believe that I am taller than him... that I must have a far bigger head too. I remember him being such a tall man.

Here are two pictures of my Great Grandfather, when he was a much younger man and wearing far more snazzy hats.

ConradS.jpg

I think its fitting that my own first fedora is a straw hat - a Stetson Panama hat to be precise.

IntroHat2.jpg

I also just purchased this linen Gatsby hat (perched on top of my great grandfather's hat):

IntroHat3.jpg

I am a bit unsure about the quality of this gatsby but it doesn't matter to me too much. I purchased it just for fun to wear at a upcoming jazz event.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to adding to my collection of hats over time and reading more of the subject on this board. I must say, however, that no matter how many hats I get, and even though its in rough shape and I'll never wear it again, my most prized hat will always be my Great Grandfather's hat. It is priceless as far as I'm concerned. :)

Thanks for having me here, I'm looking forward to my continued reading of this board. I've seen many wonderful discussions so far. And thanks again to Undertow for showing it to me.

-Starius

J.B.

Practically Family
Welcome to tFL, Starius!

Nice recollections & pics of your GGP. Thanks for the intro! :)

Flieger

Practically Family
Welcome to the board, Starius!

Also thanks for sharing your photos and fond memories of your Great Grandfather with us. I'm a bit envious because, as a child born several years after my sieblings, I never got to meet any of mine Great/Grand parents. I can imagine how much that beautiful straw hat mean to you. :)

Flieger

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
Starius,
Welcome, and thanks for telling the story about your grandfather. It reminds me of my Mima wanting to give my grandpops 1930-40's Stetson 3x beaver to the Goodwill’s. To her it was an old worn out hat, but to a Lounger......lol

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well shucks, no problem Mr. Starius! It's always nice to know we have more and more hat-wearing gents walking around the streets of Iowa these days!

Those are some great pics, and I mean great! What years do you suppose those were taken?

Duck

Practically Family
Welcome Starius!! Great pictures and it is nice to have those fond memories to go along with them.

Jerekson

One Too Many
Very nice to meet you Starius. You seem like a great guy.

That is one swell hat your g-grandfather has in the second picture! Wow!

Regards,
Jerekson

Starius

Practically Family
Thank you, all

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

I'm currently borrowing one of my grandfather's photo albums (you wouldn't believe how many he has, he even made a index book for them.) for the purpose of scanning in some pictures for myself. This particular one is family photos from the 20s, 30s, and 40s, where I got the above pictures of my great grandfather. Tons of wonderful shots in the album, but I just had to share those two. Too bad the hats themselves aren't around anymore.

Undertow said:
Well shucks, no problem Mr. Starius! It's always nice to know we have more and more hat-wearing gents walking around the streets of Iowa these days!

Those are some great pics, and I mean great! What years do you suppose those were taken?

I'm not sure what exact year they were taken but I'm guessing early to mid- 1940s. He looks to be around the same age as he is in a couple shots with the 1937 Studebaker and my father is standing next to him, looking 2 or 3 years old... so that would suggest somewhere around 1945. I might be wrong though.

Earp

One of the Regulars
Welcome to the lounge. A very interesting and educational place. Great story about your grandfather. I can relate. Good job saving his hat ... a priceless and personal connection to him for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points