Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Leather Jackets

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Took me a while to figure out how to post pics.

1) A jacket I bought off of e-bay. No tags at all. Listed as horsehide, but feels nothing like the Aero or the LW. I like this jacket a lot, the leather feels like a high quality glove...but the 70's color doesn't work for me. As you can see, the collar/lapels aren't 70's at all, so I would like to get this dyed a few shades darker. It is vegetable tanned, so I hope to be able to keep some of the patina/color variation. I'd really prefer to send this out to be dyed. Any recommendations?
003.jpg

2) Aero Long Half Belt - The jacket that caught my eye when I first visited the Aero website. I've only worn it twice; so it's pretty stiff, but it fits me great. Found it NWT on e-bay. I'm a size 40 and this is a size 38. After getting this jacket and looking at the tanning of the leather, I saw what all the fuss was about.
002-1.jpg

3) Golden Bear that I bought off the B&S here. Very heavily lined, a winter coat. Great pebble grain to the leather in many areas. Solidly made.
001.jpg

4) Lost Worlds Ryder - went to the LW sale page after joining TFL and found this jacket. Took a while to break in, and I still have a ways to go. Feels bullet-proof.
002.jpg

Cooperson

One Too Many
Nice jackets Grayland, I think the Aero LHB and the Lost Worlds Ryder are my favorites. Good pics, thanks for sharing

Navin323i

Practically Family
Beautiful jackets! I actually like that color of your first jacket... reminds me of the aged tan steerhide that Aero uses. :)

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
+1 spot on fit, beautiful hides, great cuts. Nice collection! What, no A2? :p

Thanks. Haven't been bitten by the A2 bug yet. I do have a thing for the A-1, but they don't seem to be easy to find (at least at affordable prices). Any jacket named after a steak sauce has got to be good. I'm also fond of cafe racers.

chamboid

One of the Regulars
Try Good Wear and Eastman, in fact Aero in the UK does one as well I think, but how about a barnstormer that looks more to your taste, Aero's is superb looking, but so's is Buzz Ricksons.

Tony B

One of the Regulars
Dont know about who you would send the first jacket off to dye but just one thing to consider, I have never dyed a leather garment before just leather hides prior to sewing them , but being seventies it will pobably be sewn together with modern polyester thread which may or may not take the leather dye so there is a chance you might end up with a dark jacket with light tan sewing...magic marker and patience time then.

If it is veg tanned and you want to have a crack at it yourself fiebings oil based pro dye is the range to go for. You could get messy but if you do it right you could work a lovely depth of colour into it, google up a fiebings pro dye chart and then google image the one you like the look of most and you will see lots of holsters, sheaths etc that people have used the stuff on, that would look fantastic in either british tan or walnut.

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
Of course, the LHB is great, but I also like the "Golden Bear" a lot. It looks like very rich and soft leather, a perfect winter jacket.

leopardstyle

One of the Regulars
Nice jackets. I agree that the Aero and the Lost Worlds are looking the best for ya. The red tint in the brown leather seems to really work with your skin tones. When you get the longer one dyed, I'd consider showing them the Aero jacket and seeing if you can get it dyed a similar color.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn