Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My New AERO 1930s Halfbelt (goat)..now w/ PICTURES!

holdencain

One of the Regulars
Dear Friends,

My first AERO (1930s Halfbelt) arrived just after Christmas:

Order placed Oct 18th 2010
Shipped Dec 22nd 2010

This jacket is a "JanSolo redux". I chose to go with most of his specifications from his recent jacket.

- Size 42 1930s Halfbelt in seal goatskin.
- 26 inch sleeves
- 27 inch body length. front and back the same length.
- Double leather (leather lined) button cuffs
- All pockets lined with heavy brown corduroy
- Left breast pocket with nickel ball and chain zip
-G1/ M422a style inside pockets in the facing with stud closures.
-Jacket lined with olive Gabardine (B10 cloth).
-“Hangar and two Airmen” label
- 2 inch leather facing on the inside bottom hem.
-Nickel AERO zip and nickel side buckles.
- jacket top stitched with olive drab thread for all seams
-Jacket made by Vicki

The final cost was 580 GBP (550 plus 30 shipping). Plus I was hit w/ another $30 US at my doorstep by the UPS guy!

I have been wearing the jacket almost daily over the last few weeks. It is quite warm. The temps here have gone down into the 20's F and I have been comfortable w/ a light sweater.
Initially the Goat leather was quite stiff, but after only 2 wks you can see that it is conforming nicely to arms. I added 1inch to arms and 2inch to body as JanSolo advised. I think this was a great idea.

The size is a 42. I am 6'1 and 190#. I wear a 43 suit jacket and was a little worried this would be too *slim fit* for me. Thus, I asked Amanda/Vickie to "take tighter turns" in the body to perhaps make it more like a 43. I do not know how much difference this had made, but the jacket certainly is not too tight. I wonder if a 42 would have been? Another forum member had a 42 and was a little lighter than me but said it was a "tight fit", so that is why I made the request.

The only thing I *might* have done differently would be to line the interior pockets w/ a lighter cloth than the corduroy. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE the corduroy in the handwarmer pockets! But having internal G1/gun pockets on both sides *plus* handwarmer pockets all lined in corduroy, I can feel a good bit of bulk between the leather and the liner in the front chest/midsection. That said, I think it actually adds INSULATION in that area, and maybe that is why it seems nicely warm??

Here are some pictures:

IMG_3767.jpg

IMG_3771.jpg

IMG_3776.jpg

IMG_3774.jpg

IMG_3773.jpg

Thanks for looking,
HC

Edward

Bartender
Of all Aero's civilian designs, I think the Thirties halfbelt is one of the sharpest. I have one in brown FQHH. I'd love a black one; if they do goat in black, it'll be that.

holdencain

One of the Regulars
Very nice jacket!
Interesting that the goat is so warm in cold temperatures. My G-1 is cold this time of year.
How easy is it to slip the jacket on and off with the gabardine sleeves?

Super easy to slip on/off w/ the gabardine. Again, this is a JanSolo tip. I can't say enough good things about him. He was so helpful during the process of ordering this jacket. And I was equally as annoying I am sure!! I am a bit OCD about things, and he has handled me gracefully!
HC

Philalethes

A-List Customer
Super easy to slip on/off w/ the gabardine.
Thanks! I think I may get the same in my sleeves.

Again, this is a JanSolo tip. I can't say enough good things about him. He was so helpful during the process of ordering this jacket.
That is great. He certainly had many good ideas.

And I was equally as annoying I am sure!! I am a bit OCD about things, and he has handled me gracefully!
HC

Ha ha! I am the same way: I knew I had a problem when my wife asked me to not talk about a jacket for one day - and I couldn't do it!

holdencain

One of the Regulars
Just wanted to clarify that the entire jacket is lined w/ the Gabardine, not just sleeves.

I have had a couple questions about "what would you do differently if you ordered again..". Truly, Jan has this down to a science so all his ideas were spot on. The only thing I think I would do differently is line the interior pockets w/ a lighter weight fabric, like moleskin (i assume that is lighter/thinner than corduroy?...). It just seems like the corduroy adds a good bit of bulk in there! But maybe that is how it should be? Does anyone else have handwarmer and interior pockets lined w/ corduroy that can comment. But other than *maybe* that issue, the rest is perfect.
I would add the length to the arms and body. I may have been able to go a 1/2 inch shorter on body....but with the goat taking on some nice wrinkling maybe not.
HC
HC

Windward

Practically Family
Great jacket - like the pebble grain of goat and the colour - looking also forward to see how the jacket fits you. Thanks for sharing!

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Great jacket.

If its possible i would love to see fit pics from behind.
I think I have only seen 1 picture ever of a halfbelt from the back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ