Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My new Akubra Leisure Time in regency fawn

Flieger

Practically Family
Just unpacked this one today. Hatsdirect sure deserve the name! Just 7 days since I ordered it. Great service! :eusa_clap

This will be my designated beater. I don't care if it gets sweaty/dusty/dirty/wet/mangled etc, etc. I like the LT very much. It felt just like an old friend the first time I tried it on.

I'm not too crazy about the hatband though... do you think a pugaree will work on this one? Anybody tried?

Leisure_01.jpg

Leisure_02.jpg

/F

Havana

One of the Regulars
That's a great looking hat. I think the hatband is pretty but isn't right for that hat. A puggaree might work. I think a grosgrain ribbon and bow in a complimentary color would look best.

Flieger

Practically Family
I found a new shop in town that had a good selection of ribbons (well, at least it looked that way through their window last weekend), I think I'll have a look there tomorrow.

I saw Deelovely's Leisuretime and how good it looked with that replaced ribbon. It was actually a big reason to why I bought mine. :)

/F

Flieger

Practically Family
Thanks guys!

I had my eyes set on the cheep Riverina as well, but after some good initial contact with the store the deal fell apart. I dunno why. [huh] Well, even if it would have been great to be part of the Riverina safari conversion "brotherhood", I decided to go with the Leisuretime instead and hope for the best. :)

/F

citRon

A-List Customer
I just ordered this same hat! I, too plan on practicing a 'ribbon transplant'!
...Fleiger, keep us posted on yours!

p.s., I got mine from Aaron Hats. Unbelievable customer service!! -I've found my favorite hat store!

Flieger

Practically Family
Thanks everyone! The Leisure-time is a wonderful hat but the hatband provided just wasn't me. I tried a couple of ideas, inspired by some of the beautiful customizations (is that a word?) seen here on the Fedora Lounge, before I decided upon a rather wide ribbon in two colors with a bow that had a little red accent (just to spice things up).

I know the ribbon looks green/gold in the photo, but it's actually more of a brown/gold combination. The red stripe on the bow is a piece of felt that my wife donated. I could make something mushy out of that fact... but I won't. :)

Due to my planned trip to Egypt in April I've decided to rename this hat: The Sphinx

The_Sphinx.jpg

BTW: this was my first ever real ribbon change on a hat and I liked the taste of it.

Cheers
/F

Flieger

Practically Family
RBH said:
I like the name of that!!! [I love cool names for fedoras]
Really looks good to me. Great job on the bow, you took a chance and I say it payed off big time!!!

Thanks RBH!

Well, I'm not sure I took that big of a chance really. I wouldn't wear a hat I didn't like the look of and the rest is just a matter of time, material and a little money. And I LOVE tinkering with things like that.

Cheers
/F

Flieger

Practically Family
David Conwill said:
Wow, what a vast improvement that new ribbon makes. Did you actually tie the ribbon to the proper length or did you stitch down the ribbon and the bow seperately?

-Dave

Dave: The ribbon and bow are separate pieces but the bow was threaded upon the ribbon before I stiched the ribbon together. Then I slid the bow in position and tacked everything in place. I'm not sure that's the "correct" way of doing it, but it worked for me.

Cheers
/F

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko