Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My new Bill Kelso house A-2, and my thoughts about their service

JollyGreenSlugg

New in Town
G'day folks,

I received my Bill Kelso house A-2 during the week, having taken eight days in the post from Greece to rural Australia. I'm delighted with the jacket and the service received from Andy and Platon.

The jacket is sized 42, and is very comfortable to wear. I was initially wondering whether it was a bit bigger than I'd have liked, after wearing it for a few days, I'm very happy with the fit and feel. Compared to the cheap knock-offs I have sized 40, my Kelso A-2 is really quite comfortable and not at all restrictive. I find that I can move comfortably when I drive and ride, and the jacket doesn't ride up all the time. I work out, so my upper torso and arms are a pretty snug fit, while there is room to move in the bottom. Finding a jacket to suit my body shape has been a challenge, and I feel that this jacket 'fits the bill'. In 2005, I was 145kg (320lbs) and I've since worked myself down to about 78kg (170lbs) with a change of diet, and a lot of exercise. Having started working out, I've built up some muscle, but am still kinda loose around the waist. A big incentive for me to keep motivated with my exercise and good eating was the desire to own a high-quality A-2. it's what I've worked towards, and after a couple of mall jackets in bigger sizes, I'm happy that I've found one which looks and feels right. I've found plenty of wartime shots of men wearing jackets which aren't skin-tight and I'm happy with this.

Twenty two years ago, I started a savings account to put money aside for a decent A-2 repro. Didn't happen, sadly. Back then, I was only aware of Eastman, and I figured that it'd cost me around five hundred Australian dollars, and the jacket I've just bought cost less than this. My next one will only be a couple of hundred more, for an original maker's pattern jacket. So, quality doesn't have to break the bank, especially for people like me, with a young family and a foster-daughter who has many medical high-needs but a beautiful heart.

So, if anyone is wondering about the quality of Bill Kelso's A-2 jackets and the company's service, I can only speak of them in the highest terms. Platon was gracious and helpful with his words and advice. Andy patiently responded to my very many emails and questions, and talked me through the whole process. I'm already planning my next Bill Kelso jacket, a russet original maker pattern. But that's for 2013. Bill Kelso, you have a very satisfied customer in rural Australia.

Thank you Bill Kelso!

Cheers,
Matt

A2a-1.jpg

A2b.jpg

Just for giggles, this is what I looked like in 2005!

Me.jpg

Last edited:
Holy sh*t slug, you should change your name! Amazing! And as I said at VLJ, that jacket looks great on you. Awesome for sure. But the weight loss is more impressive!

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
The weight loss is far more important than any jacket and probably added several decades to your lifespan and hopefully avoiding the "John Candy syndrome."

D

Deleted member 16736

What's your diet secret? You look great in your new Kelso A-2. And best wishes to your family and your foster-daughter.

too much coffee

Practically Family
Yes Matt....you do need to change your forum name. You are so far removed from the word "slug."
Your weight loss, accomplished by sensible eating and exercise, is an inspiration to those who desire to lose some excess poundage. You wear you new BK extremely well and it looks like a real dynamite jacket.

Congratulations to you and I know your family is very proud of you.

Regards,
coffee

jps79

New in Town
Until today I´ve never heard of "Bill Kelso". I checked their website and they seem to have high quality jackets. I like their Raiders Jacket.
For US flying jackets I would nevertheless go with ELC.

Regards
Jörn

JollyGreenSlugg

New in Town
G'day folks,

Thank you very much for your feedback and kind words. The jacket is terrific and I'm wearing it as much as I can. Now the plan is to find the right period-correct nose-art to paint on it. Oh, and to decide which pattern I'll choose from Bill Kelso for my russet jacket! I may size down for the next one, unless there's one in a trimmer cut.

Cheers,
Matt

mattp

One of the Regulars
Great jacket, and congrats on the weight loss, no doubt it will add years to your life (the weight loss, not the jacket ;) ).
I recently bought a Bill Kelso jacket also, the house model in russet, and also have nothing buy praise for the company and the jacket. It is beautiful horsehide, super comfortable and the workmanship is as good as any Aero I've seen. My only niggle is the fact it fairly stank of smoke when I got it, not sure if it's cigarette smoke or something from the manufacturing process, but it's getting better with time and airing.
Anyway, enjoy your jacket and wear it in good health!

Brettafett

One Too Many
Wow, nice one. You deserve that jacket!
That 'House' A-2 looks like the Roughwear, is that seal horse?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner