Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My new Brown "Derby"

another reason to ask all the questions you can when you see an auction on eBay. The pictures they used were so bad that I actually thought it was going to be a derby but when I got it in its original box, never worn, I thought different. It is not that I am not happy with my NOS stetson Fedora but now I have to find a brown derby in 7 5/8. :p
I couldn't believe it when I opened the box. It was unblocked, as the pictures show, and definitely unsnapped. ;) The only problem is that the ribbon was smashed because it was jambed in the box.
Here is what it looked like when I got it:

Picture088.jpg

Inside:

Picture089.jpg

After I had a few minutes with it:

Picture091.jpg

Regards to all,

J

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
Very cool indeed. You could probably steam the wrinkles out of the ribbon.

I've wanted a bowler for a long time and think I could get away with wearing one instead of a derby. I may buy a cheap wool version and see if it takes before I purchase the real fur variety.

Joedahat

New in Town
Band repair

If you attempt to steam the grosgrain ribbon, please use caution, as I have had the problem of them stretching ang leaving a gap around the crown.
Sometimes it needs to be re-sewn or replaced.

Yeah the crumpled ribbon is quite a mess. The funny thing is that I wore it out that way just to check people's reaction. Nobody even noticed! They thought it was meant to look that way. :p I suppose in the world of the blind even the man with one eye is king. ;) :p
I can probably tell you what they were thinking. "Hey Joe! Put it in that box---it'll fit." :p
Judging by the crest in the hat, the sweatband markings and the shape; I would say it is from the 1950s somewhere. Pretty hard to find a hat that old in new condition. :cool2:

Regards to all,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails