My new Irvin

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by repo, May 19, 2015.

1. repo

repo Familiar Face

Just picked this up from the AL sale page - do you think the 1" thick fleece will reduce a bit with wear? I know it's not historically accurate but I wanted something warm for the bike and I don't think the fit is too bad. It looks to be superbly made. Sorry the pics are not up to much.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Otter

Otter One Too Many

The fleece will matt down and go slightly curly with wear. Sheepskin acts as a sponge so only for nice dry days, getting salty road dirt out of the collar is a bummer.

3. Carlos840

Carlos840 Call Me a Cab

Fits well!

From my experience, the fleece won't compact much, it will curl up on itself a little, but won't become much less thicker.
    Keep in mind that sheepskin is really crap at protecting you from abrasion if you use it as a bike jacket!

4. bn1966

bn1966 Call Me a Cab

Nice Jacket!....Great fit :)

5. aswatland

aswatland My Mail is Forwarded Here

There is the repro Irvin thread where this post best belongs so all Irvin related jackets can be found there. Mods please can you move it.

6. nabottle

nabottle A-List Customer

I love this Irvin repro and I'm quite envious. To me, it fits really, really well. Great purchase!

7. Bunyip

Bunyip Call Me a Cab

Very substantial. I've considered getting something similar as a bike jacket to be worn with an armoured shirt under it. The climate here won't allow for too much wearing of something so warm. I love the shearling jackets, just unable to wear them enough to justify it....

8. nick123

nick123 I'll Lock Up

That looks like a keeper.

9. repo

repo Familiar Face

Thanks for the comments. Yes, I think I was lucky with this one - normally the sleeves are too short for me. I did think for a moment that it was too short (but probably my stomach getting in the way :( !). I hadn't realised they do armoured shirts now, but will investigate. It's still cold enough in the mornings here to give this a run.
    Apologies for not posting to the correct thread - hopefully this can be moved.

10. Bunyip

Bunyip Call Me a Cab

Check out thurston bros, one of the sponsors here, they sell armoured shirts.

11. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend I'll Lock Up

Seems nice and compact.

12. Carlos840

Carlos840 Call Me a Cab

He is in the UK, Knox make great armoured shirts, i have a couple of them...

13. Stand By

Stand By One Too Many

A nice jacket with a great fit. Nice one!
    Yes, it'll compact down nicely with lots of wear and in as inclement weather as you can handle - my ELC RW B-3 was originally thick (3/4") and after all these years of very faithful service, it's much thinner and these days is closer to the thickness of my B-6! My Aero C-3 was the same - and after a few winters is now packing down and getting that nice nap to it.
    Wear it in good health!

14. Deacon211

Deacon211 Practically Family

Nice jacket! Congrats on a good find.

I'm actually looking forward to my Irvin compacting a bit. It still looks a bit Michelin Man on me.

Over the 14 years I've owned my B-6, it has definitely thinned somewhat...almost too much! I think the matted Irvin will be perfect.

Good wearing to you!

Deacon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15. Dumpster Diver

Dumpster Diver Practically Family

Not Critical of the Fleece density, overall size, colour etc, yours looks superb on you. My preference has always been to buy a second hand Jacket, having someone else do my breaking in for me and saving money and time works for me. The problem buying Second hand sheepskin Jackets is Just that! Most people are too in love with them to even part with them, so its difficult to find that *special* one thats got your name on it and that is mostly a take it or leave it situation in all aspects. Congrats!!! :eusa_clap

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  16. rocketeer

rocketeer Call Me a Cab

I have the same idea. I have an old A2 that is big enough for an OXFORD shirt, comes with elbows, shoulders and back with the option for front armour. Knox do some good light weight stuff too as well as Force Field.

17. bn1966

bn1966 Call Me a Cab

I combine some Knox Armour with Draggin K Kevlar sweat & pants worn under my usual attire :)

18. IRVIN-FAN

IRVIN-FAN Banned

Hi all,
    nice site and very nice Irvin.
    Somewhere here there is a threat on how to " age " the fleece.
    Hot tube washing and air drying.
    The jacket and fur will look like after 20 missions.

19. Otter

Otter One Too Many

Soren was the man who did that to his Aero Irvin, if you search his posts you should come across the info you need.

20. IRVIN-FAN

IRVIN-FAN Banned

Exactly!, nice guy from Scandinavia.
    Many Irvins in his locker.
    Thx to him for the info.
    Tried it out on one Eastman pre-war Irvin, now it looks like realy pre-war. No damage to the leather.Perfect!, again thx.