Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My New "PANATROPE" Record Player

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Hi All!

I just won this on Ebay today and was wondering if any of you know anything about it! I've been wanting a portable "victrola" style record player for years now, so I jumped on it when one came up within my price range. I hope I did ok!

Here's the link

Here's hoping to bring it to the Summit for some mood music ;)

Wild Root

Gone Home
Sweet Lauren! That's a good looking set up! What a beautiful Brunswick portable player. I have a Columbia portable from the 30's. I also have a great wood cabinet GE from 1941 that's electrified. That's my work horse seeing the older ones can chew through 78's.

Enjoy it!

Root

PS. Do you have any 78's?

shamus

Suspended
Just last year I was stopping by Starbucks and a guy had a player very similar to yours and was just sitting with a few friends and listening to his 78's. All jazz or swing if I remember.

I thought to myself that is one sweet piece of audio.

Congrats...

And if you need more 78's most thrift stores usually have a box laying around.

Lauren

Thanks so much guys! I am pleased :)

Wildroot, I do have a box full of old 78s. My Grandpa liked to go to garage sales up in Atwater, so I inherited a bunch of them and a standing Edison. It needs some work, and from what I've heard they take the other kinds of records anyways. Now I can put Gramps searching to use and give them all a listen!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Hey!

You done good.

"Exponential Type" refers to the horn shape. Most phonograph horns are exponential as it allows for better sound. Just before electricity changed sound reproduction (as during the transition), makers tried several tricks to keep selling acoustic machines. One of these was to sort of "wind" a longer horn into a smaller space. There are floor model Victrolas (called "Orthaphonics") that are as loud and crisp as an electric of the day, and it's all just focusing the sound inside the horn properly.

Nice price. The needles are common as dandelions - remember to change the needle for every record. I don't know exactly how that brush got in there, but it's not for cleaning records.

Uh... I have been collecting various phonographs for about 24 years. These little portable disk players are one of the few remaining machines you can pick up on the cheap. If you find any problems, Lauren, I'd be happy to advise etc.
So... what kinda upright Edison ya got there??

Lauren

scotrace said:
"Exponential Type" refers to the horn shape. Most phonograph horns are exponential as it allows for better sound. Just before electricity changed sound reproduction (as during the transition), makers tried several tricks to keep selling acoustic machines. One of these was to sort of "wind" a longer horn into a smaller space. There are floor model Victrolas (called "Orthaphonics") that are as loud and crisp as an electric of the day, and it's all just focusing the sound inside the horn properly.

Wow! Thanks so much for the info! I admit I know nothing about phonographs, so I'm eating up whatever I can!

scotrace said:
Nice price. The needles are common as dandelions - remember to change the needle for every record. I don't know exactly how that brush got in there, but it's not for cleaning records.

Heehee. I figured they were pretty easy to get. What do you suppose the brush is for?

scotrace said:
Uh... I have been collecting various phonographs for about 24 years. These little portable disk players are one of the few remaining machines you can pick up on the cheap. If you find any problems, Lauren, I'd be happy to advise etc.
So... what kinda upright Edison ya got there??

Thanks so much! I'll be sure to take you up on that ;) The Edison says inside Model No. A200 Serial #5383
Thanks again!

Wild Root

Gone Home
The Edison players used a record that only Edison used. They were called “hill and dale� records. The groove was recorded vertically and not horizontally like all the other record companies were doing. That’s why Edison records are so thick! They can be cheep but are heavy!!! Ebay and antique shops are the spots you’ll find the Edison discs.

Good looking set! But for me, it’s all about the electric sets! Great sound and a little more practical. But, those older sets are fun for picnics and gatherings! The sound of them are great only when you have a fresh needle!

All the best,

Root.

edison1.jpg

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Couple of Mine

Brunswick was a big player in the '20's as electric emerged. They actually replaced Edison as one of the "Big Three" (with Victor & Columbia).

I hope you'll share better pictures when your new find arrives.

Here are a couple of mine.

VV210.jpg

Victrola 210, 1926. With some of my record catalogs.

Home.jpg

"Long Case" Edison Home Model B, around 1904.

Love these things. :)

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Thanks!

It's one of three I have. I used to have many more, but... well. Long story! I still have hundreds of cylinders. One of the Edison phonographs I got from the original buyer - he was 90something.

I have a shipping crate for an Edison upright (that is so thrashed it doesn't matter) that I'm turning into a four-panel screen. A couple of console victrolas, upright Edisons, tabletops and a portable Victrols (which is a specific brand name and not generic). Also catalogs, booksm paper items, etc.
Listening to one of these things is like cranking up a time machine. These are my specialty.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Brush

Lauren, when that machine arrives, let me know if the brush is marked? I'm thinking it's just something that got stuck in there, but you never know.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Some information/resources

Congrats. It was a Brunswick portable that got me started.
Now I have a standup cabinet Victrola and a heck of a lot
of 78s.

First, a couple of responses: Wildroot, the old windups only
chew up records if you fail to do the most important thing:
change the needle EVERY TIME you play a side. Yeah, there's
still a little wear, but I suspect no more than your diamond/sapphire
needle is causing. Remember that real shellac 78s had grit in 'em,
designed to wear down the needle before the needle could wear
down the record.

Second, no one seems to have mentioned it, but Edison records
are not compatible with Victrola-type players. The needles mount
at different angles.

Now, to get to your Brunswick. I wonder what the reproducer (the
diaphram to which you connect your needle) is made of? Is it
aluminum (as mine is) or mica (clear diaphram, like those used
in Victrolas)? The aluminum, in my limited experience, is used in
a lot of the portables (remember- this is the portable "blaster" of
its age, used at beaches, parties, and parked cars). Aluminum isn't
as fragile as mica and it's very loud. However, it isn't the best sound-
some records sound good with that sort of reproducer, some don't.

When your machine arrives, assuming it's not too hard, I recommend
removing the reproducer (TELL YOUR SELLER TO REMOVE IT AND
WRAP IT SEPARATELY FOR SHIPPING!!!- comes right off with a twist)
and opening up the machine. Have a look at the "clockwork" mechanism
and make sure there isn't too much dirt or too many loose needles in there.

If the reproducer is damaged or if the seals are old and cracked, I
recommend sending it to Hawthorn's Antique Audio for a refurbish:

http://www.thoseoldrecords.com/

Wondering where to get the thousands of needles you'll need
to change 'em with every play? Try this place for a good deal:

http://www.wyattsmusical.com/index.shtml

You'll want to try those needles that came with your machine
to figure out how many "loud" or "soft" needles you'll want (depends
on how they sound with your machine and your choice of records-
this will be how you control volume). Make sure the needles that came
with it aren't too rusty or even already used. See if you got any
"tungs-tone" reuseable needles (up to 50 plays, not more as often claimed)
invented during the steel shortages of WWII.

Enjoy! I have found that for some music, the gramophone is the
finest quality reproduction and a real thrill.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Yes.

Exactly! Record spins, vibrates a diaphragm inside the reproducer, vibrations travel the tonearm to the horn, "music Goes 'Round & 'Round, oh oh oh, and it comes out here..."

It's so simple - makes you wonder what took so long to invent it.

Amazingly, a Frenchman did beat Edison, sort of. He constructed a machine that recorded sound waves on a solid surface just to demonstrate the principal that sound travels via waves on the air. To tell you how incomprehansible it was that sound may be replayed, no one even thought of trying to listen to the recording played back! This was in the 1840's, so we missed the voice of Lincoln by a whisker.

Lauren

Nope, not yet! I'm still waiting on it. I'm actually getting a little worried because I have tried to contact the seller a few times and haven't gotten a response. I think I'll look up their phone number if I don't get it today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points