Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My "new" Radio

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Well folks, here it is, General Electrics Model 100, bakelite radio still in perfect working condition, she's a beaut and she sounds fantastic.

I plan on having it fully refurbished, completely rewired and have a surge protector added on to protect the tubes. Plus the folks over at www.3ryan.com
will make this radio into an Ipod docking station. That's right. The radio will still work but now it will be able to convert signals from an Ipod into the good syrupy sound you get from a tube radio.

Enjoy the pics, and if you want something like what I have, check out the link above.

What do you all think?
il_fullxfull.154243711.jpg

A close up of the dial, in pretty good shape
il_fullxfull.154243853.jpg

W4ASZ

Practically Family
GE 100

Nice device ! You may only need to have the power supply filter capacitors replaced, though I think the "drill" is to replace all the capacitors. There aren't that many of them. Service information and schematic diagram can be found at the Nostalgia Air site.

This is an AC/DC set - it has no power transformer - and can pose a shock hazard. I have isolation transformers which I always use with this type of radio. You don't have to, but you have been advised.

Also, an isolation transformer which steps the line voltage down will be kinder to the tubes.

You will get a lot of enjoyment from this critter, and, no, the pictures are not too large.

On a different topic, I'm 400 miles from a Sullivan's, but I made a note in the portion of my brain devoted to steaks. Thanks for that one.

RetroToday

A-List Customer
Cool radio!

It should already have an RCA input phono jack in the back that they can adapt to take an external source, such as an ipod.

W4ASZ

Practically Family
RetroToday said:
Cool radio!

It should already have an RCA input phono jack in the back that they can adapt to take an external source, such as an ipod.

I just looked at the schematic and it doesn't. I don't think I'd want a radio with a 'hot" chassis and a phono jack unless I had all of my affairs in order. :eek:

Now playing through a phono oscillator off the pod presents no issues.

W4ASZ

Practically Family
That would be much fun !

I note that there is an external antenna connection on the GE 100 for DXing on those cold winter nights. There is less worth listening to nowadays, but I never cease to be amazed at how well the tube sets perform. It isn't the radio's fault that the programming is ghastly.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Well, I don't plan to refurbish it myself, I'm sending it to the pros.

I wish I did have enough know how to do the work myself, but ah well.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
W4ASZ said:
...It isn't the radio's fault that the programming is ghastly....

That right there is the exact reason I bought an AMT3000. Annoying modern day commercials and rap music just wouldn't sound right on these old radios. I wouldn't care to subject them to playing such torture. I RARELY listen to modern day radio.

kpreed

One of the Regulars
ScionPI2005 said:
That right there is the exact reason I bought an AMT3000. Annoying modern day commercials and rap music just wouldn't sound right on these old radios. I wouldn't care to subject them to playing such torture. I RARELY listen to modern day radio.
I totally agree! Except for me RARELY would be NEVER.
My AMT3000 is in play all day, every day with pre-1960s music and O.T.R shows.
Enjoy!

W4ASZ

Practically Family
RetroToday said:
Cool radio!

I should have commented that this IS a really good way to go on radios so equipped. Been there, done that, and with success.

:D

Django

New in Town
Nice radio!

I had not heard of the AM3000 before this thread. The thought of building a kit is a bit daunting to me though.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Django said:
Nice radio!

I had not heard of the AM3000 before this thread. The thought of building a kit is a bit daunting to me though.

I do know the AMT3000 is available pre-built. It costs a bit more, but its an option.

I actually built mine, and the best advice I can give is to take your time, and make sure your solder and soldering tip are thin enough. A lot of the contacts on the circuit board are very close together, and it is way too easy to accidentally fill up the adjacent hole to the one you're working on.

kpreed

One of the Regulars
I did have my AMT3000 pre-built, so I know it can be bought done. I am in a wheelchair and even as I have restored many a old tube radio before, my hands shake enough now I did not want to even try for the 30 or so bucks they charge for this, so unless you feel you can do this or have someone good to do it for you, spring for a complete unit. I really, really like mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24