Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My new "Vienna Hat" from Miller Hats

RadioHead

Familiar Face
Hi y'all!

Well, my newest hat just arrived yesterday, and I think it's a real piparoo; it's a steel gray "Vienna" center-dent, fur-felt fedora with a 2-5/8" brim, 4-1/2" crown and 1-1/2" grograin bow. Here are some photos-
<center>
<p>
Vienna2.jpg
<br>
From the left. The feather will be taken off.<br>
Actually... now that I look at it again... maybe I'll leave the feather.
<P><p>
Vienna3.jpg
<br>
From the right.<p><p>
Vienna1.jpg
<br>From above left. (Only the pigeons will see this view...)<p><p>
Vienna5.jpg
<br>
The liner.<p><p>
Vienna4.jpg
<br>
A whiter shade of pale... er... gray- on the TV armoire.<p><p>
SwtBnd.jpg
<br>
Hmmm. Bought this from a place in Texas... and it's made in Canada. Ohhhh kay.<p><p>
SwtBnd3.jpg
<br>
Genuine Fur Felt.<br><p>
SwtBnd1.jpg
<br>
Miller Hats' stamp.<p><p>
And, last, but not least:<br>
TheBox.jpg
<br>
The storage box.</center><p><p>
The white box was inside a slightly larger shipping box.<p>
I have not yet worn the hat in public, but "Tomorrow's going to be another day":) <br>
I'm looking forward to wearing this hat a lot, and I'm also looking forward to the comments it elicits, if any. My next purchase from Miller will probably be the "Manhattan"; I want the light gray, but my wife thinks it's too light. Maybe the steel gray again- who knows?

"RadioHead"

Razzman

One Too Many
Looks like a great hat. Nice color and shape. How would you rate the service of Miller Hats? They have a nice web site, lots of hats and styles to choose from.

RadioHead

Familiar Face
Razzman said:
How would you rate the service of Miller Hats? They have a nice web site, lots of hats and styles to choose from.

Seems good to me. Consider a couple of facts: Miller Hats is in Houston, I'm in New Brunswick, eastern Canada. I specified they send it via USPS rather than via "Brown" (UPS), as the latter charges horribly high cross-border rates. (The last time I used them, I had ordered a tee-shirt and mouse pad from a place in Massachusetts... not far from here. The total purchase price was about 16 US Dollars. With "Brown's" charges, it cost me about 96 !! :eek: :rage: Canadian dollars. Not exactly the going exchange rate.)

But I digress... I placed my order in the early-morning hours of October 4th (after a couple of beverages... I'm no liar :D ), and it arrived on the morning of the 24th. So that's about average. My late inlaws lived in Everett, WA, and regular mail took about 2-3 weeks to and from.

The hat arrived in perfect condition, no hassles.

I will deal with them again.

"RadioHead"

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Miller buys most of their hats from Biltmore of Canada. They make nice hats and are giving the other hats guys in the business a run for their money .
Enjoy your hat!!

Steven

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
RadioHead said:
From the left. The feather will be taken off.

Actually... now that I look at it again... maybe I'll leave the feather.

From above left. (Only the pigeons will see this view...)

Better take the feather off. Just too easy an aim.

Joel Tunnah

Practically Family
Looks good. Keep the feather! ;)

I gave a mixed review here of my Miller/Biltmore hat, but yet it gets worn all the time, so it was worth it. They're a good alternative for those of us that can't go the vintage route via evilBay, although unfortunately they don't do tall crown styles like Beaver Brand does.

Joel

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
Miller Hats

I have a Guererra in light gray from their Italian line that is a super hat. Service was outstanding. Yours looks great and its a new hat worn only by you. I really dont like used hats or used underwear.

BigSho

Vendor
Yeah the Biltmore hats are great so I give a thumbs up to that hat. The shape of it is great, and i love the bound edge.

Guerra also makes a superb hat for the money. I think besdor mentioned the cashmere felt in another thread thats really nice. They make a high crown bogie type that is superb. I had the opportunity to eat dinner with the owner when he was here in Chicago. Great guy his buinsness has been family run since it conception, and his daughters work there with him now.

Jeremy
http://www.hats-plus.com

Kilgour Trout

One of the Regulars
What could have been eh!

Hey Radio: Good to see another from Canuckistan on board :eusa_clap .
It looks like a refined quality hat and saddens me that unless things have changed "Biltmore is no more". In this regard I mean "Felting" at least.

Last I heard, the plant in Guelph Ontario had shut down, removing the last remaining felter in Canada, (that is unless someone can tell me where "MaGill" hats get their felt from). I've tried tracking MaGill down on the net numerous times and have been able to find the name listed in Felting sources but no address or contact.

One other little tid-bit...A couple of us from Canada made contact with Biltmore and offered some advice and aid in developing a higher squarer crown (Indy type) lid. One of us actually went to the plant and talked to the staff but to no avail. It may explain why Biltmore's really don't cut it with some of the more retro crowd. If a company dosen't listen to what customers want, they stop buying eh!:deadhorse ;)

Warm Regards
Kilgour Trout

BigSho

Vendor
Biltmore is most definelty not out of buisness. I can't say that they aren't having some trouble however. I know they recentley had some issues with the felting process mostly wth the black felts. I am not sure of all of the details but we are still waiting on a big chunk of our fall order form them.

Jeremy
http://www.hats-plus.com

The Duke

One of the Regulars
duggap said:
Nice looking hat but do keep the feather. It adds character.

I agree on some of my hats, I leave the feather in, but on some it doesn't look right so I take them out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk