Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My new Wiliam Lennon Boots are here! (178 Tan Waxy)

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Hey All,

I am a big fan of William Lennon's beautifully crafted work boots, and I just received my second pair. My first pair was their model 78 "Derby" boot, which I discussed here: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?45213-New-William-Lennon-Derby-Boot-Singular!/page7 They arrived one at a time, two days apart, just like last time!

I really believe that these boots represent a great value. They cost 138 Pounds ($218), but they have the quality and craftsmanship of boots costing twice this much. The biggest drawback is that shipping to the US is a bit pricy (30 pounds, or $47). Still, the cost less than a pair of Red Wing Iron Rangers, and much less than a pair of White's Semi dress (although White's are also worth every penny in my opinion - everyone should own a pair).

This new pair is based on the same pattern, but I opted to leave them at stock height this time - I found that the added height of my first pair was unnecessary. The leather is thick, rich, and smells great. It will require some break in, but it's not uncomfortable.

The biggest change I made was that this time, I sent William Lennon a pair of thicker half soles and heels. My only real complaint about my first pair was that the half sole and real were relatively thin - I like to get a little more wear out of my soles and have a little more grip. I think it's a huge improvement, and I am very pleased with the results. I carefully selected the parts so that the thicknesses would match up so the boots didn't end up too high in the toe or heel.

Anyhow, the pictures say more than my words can - check 'em out. I really hope more people give William Lennon a try - they do great work and their pricing is extremely reasonable.

WilliamLennon178TanWaxyBoot01.jpg

WilliamLennon178TanWaxyBoot02.jpg

WilliamLennon178TanWaxyBoot03.jpg

WilliamLennon178TanWaxyBoot04.jpg

WilliamLennon178TanWaxyBoot05.jpg

WilliamLennon178TanWaxyBoot06.jpg

WilliamLennon178TanWaxyBoot07.jpg

Last edited:

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Here are some quick detail shots, and some comparisons between my original Derby Boots and the new pair:

WilliamLennonComparison01.jpg

The new soles and heels compared to the standard ones:

WilliamLennonComparison02.jpg

As you can see, two years later, the old ones are breaking in nicely:

WilliamLennon78PTCDerbyBoot00.jpg

WilliamLennon78PTCDerbyBoot01.jpg

WilliamLennon78PTCDerbyBoot02.jpg

Here they are when they were new:

WilliamLennonCustomDerbyBootcollage.jpg

Last edited:

jimmer_5

Practically Family
One more note - I hope this doesn't come off to much like an advertisement - I started joining various forums in search of information and pictures to help me make informed decisions. I feel that the best way to give back is to contribute information, pictures, and real world experiences. I am also big on quality and customer service. When I find a manufacturer, retailer, or crafstman that I think is worthy of recognition, I like to do my best to recommend their services.

Here is a link to an article that tells much more about them:
http://loomstate.blogspot.com/2011/11/william-lennon-factory-stoney-middleton.html

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Very nice boots Jimmer, very nice,

I need a nice pair myself and am always on the lookout so I appreciate all the info. Keep up on the thread how they work out for you, I at least want to know.

Cooperson

One Too Many
Thanks for great pics jimmer - very nice looking boots! After 2 years of wear, could I ask how comfortable they have been? How do they compare to RW and Whites?

Cheers

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Thanks for great pics jimmer - very nice looking boots! After 2 years of wear, could I ask how comfortable they have been? How do they compare to RW and Whites?

Cheers

My originals have been comfortable, although I have not done much extended walking in them. Because they are a bit roomy, I have put thin insoles in both pairs to snug up the fit (I normally wear a 13 D) which has added a bit of cushioning. These ahve a normal, flatter arch as compared to White's high arches. I think if you like the high arches in Whites, you'll find those more comfortable, but if you find flatter arches suit you, you'll find these more comfortable. For what it's worth, the leather in my Whites is more supple, so they have been easier to break in right out of the box.

I don't have the Red Wings, so I can't compare to those. Perhaps someone else can.

Cooperson

One Too Many
My originals have been comfortable, although I have not done much extended walking in them. Because they are a bit roomy, I have put thin insoles in both pairs to snug up the fit (I normally wear a 13 D) which has added a bit of cushioning. These ahve a normal, flatter arch as compared to White's high arches. I think if you like the high arches in Whites, you'll find those more comfortable, but if you find flatter arches suit you, you'll find these more comfortable. For what it's worth, the leather in my Whites is more supple, so they have been easier to break in right out of the box.

I don't have the Red Wings, so I can't compare to those. Perhaps someone else can.

Thanks jimmer - I find my Iron Rangers really comfortable and they have quite a flat foot bed, so I guess the Lennons should be fine. Never tried Whites, but if they have high arches they might not be for me. Thanks again for the info.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
They don't have the fine finishing with the sewing of the leather but they are a good looking boot. Biltrite heel? Thought that company was RIP?

Edward

Bartender
Anyone know whether they do only what's on the website, or any sort of request? I love the look of the Derby boots, but I'd be looking them in black...

jimmer_5

Practically Family
They don't have the fine finishing with the sewing of the leather but they are a good looking boot. Biltrite heel? Thought that company was RIP?

THey very may well be defunct - I bought the heels and half soles from a local cobbler, and I believe he said the heels were "vintage" (not sure how old) Hopefully they're not brittle!

Anyone know whether they do only what's on the website, or any sort of request? I love the look of the Derby boots, but I'd be looking them in black...

Edward, with both of my pairs of boots, they have been willing to accomodate my requests - although, I have tried to keep them simple. On my first pair, I asked for them to remove the holes in the cap toe and make them 2 inches taller (I also asked for a different color, but that got missed). On my new, pair I actually sent them soles and heels and they were willing to put them on for me. I think a color change would be fine, so long as they have the leather.

I think simple requests are no problem, so long as you inquire ahead of time. I am even thinking about getting a pair of their brown rigger boots, but replacing the commando sole with the thick leather sole of the Derby boot.

Last edited:

billyspew

One Too Many

They certainly do, I have a pair of the cycling shoes ordered, they're on the website as only in black, but I spoke to them and they are making them in the Tan Waxy leather for me instead.
Should get them in a week or two and will post pictures.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
The 178 Tan Waxy boots look great.

I was happy to find this thread, it is a rare Lounge thread that should actually save me money. Just the other day, I was in our local Redwing shop and almost bought a pair of the Gentlemen Travellers. The only reason I didn't was that the Black Cherry colour is pretty close to my 403 Aldens. I still figured I'd go ahead and get them in a day or so.

After looking at the William Lennon boots, I think I'm going to get the 178s instead. I just love the look of them and the super tan colour.

So thanks to jimmer for this thread and you too, Bill for posting the ones you have.

So less expensive and handmade in the UK - sounds great!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points