Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My one and a half new Aero Jackets

JLStorm

Practically Family
The first jacket is made of extremely thick steerhide. It stands up on its own,
but is very supple. It feels similar to the thickness of the thickest buffalo I have
ever felt, and possibly even thicker. The jacket weighs in at over 10 pounds.
Its a combination of a highwayman and cheyenne with an extremely oversized collar.
Both jackets are custom cut, but based on size 50.

jacket1.jpg

jacket3.jpg

jacket4.jpg

jacket6.jpg

jacket7.jpg

The second Jacket is my Aero B3 ANJ4 hybrid with an oversized collar and wind
flap. I had this jacket entirely overlayed in Horsehide for durability and had Aero
put on a zipper about 3 times the size of the traditional size.
It ways in about about 9 pounds.

shearling1.jpg

shearling2.jpg

shearling3.jpg

DJS Press

One of the Regulars
I love the look of that steerhide. Beauty. The collar is a nice color, but I must say that it's way too big for my taste. A few questions, if you don't mind....

Is the color of the hide cordovan?

What sort of lining did you go with?

Are there storm cuffs?

On the B3, you had the ENTIRE jacket covered with a layer of FQHH?

Can you even bend your arms when you wear it just back from the factory?

If you bring the collar up, can you still see, or do you just leave it down?

Did you get dinged for customs charges?

Both of those jackets look like they'd stop a bullet, and like they'll last a couple of lifetimes.

JLStorm

Practically Family
DJS Press said:
I love the look of that steerhide. Beauty. The collar is a nice color, but I must say that it's way too big for my taste. A few questions, if you don't mind....

Is the color of the hide cordovan?

What sort of lining did you go with?

Are there storm cuffs?

On the B3, you had the ENTIRE jacket covered with a layer of FQHH?

Can you even bend your arms when you wear it just back from the factory?

If you bring the collar up, can you still see, or do you just leave it down?

Did you get dinged for customs charges?

Both of those jackets look like they'd stop a bullet, and like they'll last a couple of lifetimes.

The color is brown. There are storm cuffs. The entire B3 is covered with horsehide, not sure if its fqhh, its whatever they normally use to cover part of the sleeves with on the regular b3. It cannot stand up on its own, so I assume its not fqhh. The arms were hard to bend much at all the first winter, but they have gotten easier now. I had the collar designed to cover my entire neck and head during gusting snow storms so I dont feel ice pelting my face and neck, it works really well. I can see through a slit in the collar when its up.

I did get hit for the customs charges this time, not last time.

DJS Press

One of the Regulars
Those additional photos show the color of the steerhide much better. You can go pretty much anywhere and rest assured that you're going to have the most badass jacket in the room. Really, really nice.

Makes me think I should get another Aero on order so I can get it well before the cold weather ends. Tough decision on what to go with now, though.

JLStorm

Practically Family
DJS Press said:
Those additional photos show the color of the steerhide much better. You can go pretty much anywhere and rest assured that you're going to have the most badass jacket in the room. Really, really nice.

Makes me think I should get another Aero on order so I can get it well before the cold weather ends. Tough decision on what to go with now, though.

I just got lucky with the color. I talked to Will and asked for the heaviest and thickest brown hide he had. He mentioned he had one roll of steer that was just enough to do the jacket and was extremely thick and heavy, it just so happened the color was really nice.

For me it wasnt so much about the time, but more about the exchange rate when I paid back in May.

Edward

Bartender
Gorgeous jackets. The top one puts me in mind a little of a B2, despite the obvious differences. The modified B3 could probably be used as a winter bike jacket, given how heavy it must be - bonus in a spill. Did the custom element to that affect the price to a great extent?

I still really fancy a B-2. I know Aero have indicate in the past that they don't think it worth it adding that to their line, I wonder if they swould produce it as a one-of: looking at these, it's obvious it wouldn't be a problem for them...

JLStorm

Practically Family
Yes, I really like the B-2's, unfortunately, I almost exclusively wear sweaters in the winter and a B-2 would be shorter than the sweater, which is one of those things that annoys me. This newer jacket was partially an attempt to satisfy my B-2 needs, we shall see if it works.

As far as the collar, I love huge collars, my wife thinks I look like a pimp, but she puts up with it because she has given up trying to change my mind. I just have this weird thing about huge collars...no idea why.

bobjones

A-List Customer
I think your collar fetish has to do with subconscious dreams of being this person:

MyCastle.jpg

Henrykeepingwarm.jpg

He even has the same chin; could it be your big brother?

JLStorm

Practically Family
bobjones said:
I think your collar fetish has to do with subconscious dreams of being this person:

MyCastle.jpg

He even has the same chin; could it be your big brother?

Ha! Well thats better than what my wife says. She says in the B3 I look like this:

snowwhite.bmp

JLStorm

Practically Family
One other thing to add. I told Will that I wanted something warm but durable for a lining. Aero ended up using alpaca but overlaying it with cotton drill. I was told it is just as durable as plain old cotton drill, but with the extra warmth of alpaca. I thought a few of you may find that useful.

JLStorm

Practically Family
Edward said:
Did the custom element to that affect the price to a great extent?

I still really fancy a B-2. I know Aero have indicate in the past that they don't think it worth it adding that to their line, I wonder if they swould produce it as a one-of: looking at these, it's obvious it wouldn't be a problem for them...

Sorry I missed this question earlier. The customizations of the B3 did add quite a bit to the price, but really only because of the exchange rate. The initial cost of the B3 was 500 GBP due to the oversized collar, wind flap, and additional hose overlay. There was an additional 200 GBP charge to get the entire jacket overlayed in horse, but this price reflects not only the hide, but the 14 hours of work they had to do to take out all of the seams put the overlays on and then sew the jacket back together.

As far as the new jacket, I made a huge number of changes from a traditional highwayman and the price was only an extra 50 GBP (mostly for all the extra material used on the collar I think). I really think that Aero charges almost entirely for the materials on custom orders and relatively little for the additional work.

To answer another previous question, I think the horse hide Aero uses on their B3 jackets is smooth horse hide and I believe thats what they used for this jacket. Im not sure how heavy it is compared to fqhh, but it is very beautiful. I didnt overlay the jacket for looks, I wanted a more durable and tear resistant B3 and it seems like Aero met the challenge. The horse hide seems tough and also easy to wear.

I Simonius

New in Town
That B3 looks just about exactly what Im looking to replace my Cirrus Irving with ( it's falling to bits)

I need something that can stand the wear and tear a bit better:eusa_doh:

Have you still got the specs you gave Aero and are you wiling to share them?

thanks

Edward

Bartender
JLStorm said:
Sorry I missed this question earlier. The customizations of the B3 did add quite a bit to the price, but really only because of the exchange rate. The initial cost of the B3 was 500 GBP due to the oversized collar, wind flap, and additional hose overlay. There was an additional 200 GBP charge to get the entire jacket overlayed in horse, but this price reflects not only the hide, but the 14 hours of work they had to do to take out all of the seams put the overlays on and then sew the jacket back together.

As far as the new jacket, I made a huge number of changes from a traditional highwayman and the price was only an extra 50 GBP (mostly for all the extra material used on the collar I think). I really think that Aero charges almost entirely for the materials on custom orders and relatively little for the additional work.

To answer another previous question, I think the horse hide Aero uses on their B3 jackets is smooth horse hide and I believe thats what they used for this jacket. Im not sure how heavy it is compared to fqhh, but it is very beautiful. I didnt overlay the jacket for looks, I wanted a more durable and tear resistant B3 and it seems like Aero met the challenge. The horse hide seems tough and also easy to wear.

Thanks, really useful to know. Aero's willingness to make changes to theirf basic designs is a big attraction for me. There are others things I'm after first, but a B2 might be closer than I realised...

JLStorm

Practically Family
I Simonius said:
That B3 looks just about exactly what Im looking to replace my Cirrus Irving with ( it's falling to bits)

I need something that can stand the wear and tear a bit better:eusa_doh:

Have you still got the specs you gave Aero and are you wiling to share them?

thanks

I dont remember all the specs, as I customized pretty much every last detail, but the big things are fairly simple. Seal B3 completely overlayed in seal 3.5 OZ smooth horse. Bottom and cuffs are ANJ4 style, not B3. The collar and wind flap are extremely oversized. I also had them install the biggest zipper they had in stock, which is about 3 or 4 times larger than the standard zipper. I also had them remove features that did not serve a purpose, hanging chain, insignia flaps, etc. I also had them add hand warmer pockets to both sides.

Im very happy with how it turned out. The jacket is tough as nails, but also very easy to wear, as the smooth horse is flexible and comfortable. The arms were tough to move the first winter, but they better now. It really feels like Im wearing a well built blanket.

jake431

Practically Family
You mentioned your jacket is a Highwayman/Cheyenne hybrid - can you explain what parts are from a Cheyenne?

-Jake

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk