Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Radio Exhibit

LizzieMaine

Bartender
As part of the extended run of "A Prairie Home Companion" at the theatre where I work, I've been invited to provide a little exhibit of vintage-era radios and radio memorabilia in the lobby --

display2.jpg

Radios on display are, from left to right --

Crosley 51-SD (1925) with Atwater Kent Model L speaker
RCA Victor 5T (1936)
Majestic "Smart Set" (1933)
Freshman Masterpiece (1925) with RCA Radiola Model 100 speaker.

The carbon mike at the far left is a Western Electric 387-W from c. 1927.

Also on display are stacks of Radio Guide magazine from the early and mid thirties, a bound volume of Radio Digest from 1931-32, and a stack of original scripts from Rudy Vallee's Fleischmann's Yeast Hour, along with a transcription disc, tube cartons, and other memorabilia.

Folks have really enjoyed it -- but they seem taken aback to discover it's my stuff. Apparently girls aren't supposed to know about this sort of thing...:rolleyes:

PHC has been a big hit for us, btw -- it's a fun picture with some great music, and Kevin Kline in his "Guy Noir" suit and fedora is a hoot!

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I especially like the one with the big red X..

LizzieMaine said:
As part of the extended run of "A Prairie Home Companion" at the theatre where I work, I've been invited to provide a little exhibit of vintage-era radios and radio memorabilia in the lobby --

display2.html

Radios on display are, from left to right --

Crosley 51-SD (1925) with Atwater Kent Model L speaker
RCA Victor 5T (1936)
Majestic "Smart Set" (1933)
Freshman Masterpiece (1925) with RCA Radiola Model 100 speaker.

The carbon mike at the far left is a Western Electric 387-W from c. 1927.

Also on display are stacks of Radio Guide magazine from the early and mid thirties, a bound volume of Radio Digest from 1931-32, and a stack of original scripts from Rudy Vallee's Fleischmann's Yeast Hour, along with a transcription disc, tube cartons, and other memorabilia.

Folks have really enjoyed it -- but they seem taken aback to discover it's my stuff. Apparently girls aren't supposed to know about this sort of thing...:rolleyes:

Miss LizzieMaine, I really want to see the wireless marconi sets - but your Image Sharing service isn't allowing the pictures to publish. Are you using PhotoBucket? If you need an assist, I can help you navigate those turbulent airways!! Let me know. -dixon cannon

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ahhhh......

...nevermind! :eusa_doh:

That is Swell Hogan, LizzieMaine! I feel like I could sit down and listen to Walter Winchell while sipping my Chase & Sanborn! Thanks for sharing your treasure with us! -dixon cannon!

VintageJess

One of the Regulars
Lizzie,

Wow, what a lovely collection you have there. That is a great display! So glad that people have enjoyed it, and wonderful of you to share your knowledge!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Thanks all, for the kind words -- the exhibit's still getting a lot of attention, and sometimes I see people even peeking in the theatre windows at it when the doors are closed. Turned out to be a great idea for building traffic.

They all do work, although the 1920's sets are battery operated, using batteries that aren't made anymore. I used to have an AC power supply for them but I'm not sure where it is -- somewhere in that vast sinkhole that is my garage.

Most of the radios came from various flea markets where I used to hang out many years ago -- back when such things could be had cheap. The Majestic set I won in a contest in "Broadcasting" magazine back in the '80s -- a "name the famous radio personalities in this picture" kind of thing. It's the only thing I've ever actually won in my life, so I'm kind of proud of it -- and it's actually a fairly rare set. If you watch a lot of mid-thirties movies, you might notice that the same model shows up from time to time in stars' boudiors!

The magazines and other doodads are a mix of flea market and eBay finds, all from the days when I had money to spend on such things. The magazines have come in especially handy in my research, and if I end up having to sell stuff off, they'll be the things I'll most want to hold onto...

The Reno Kid

A-List Customer
Very nice!

:eusa_clap I really like the Majestic. I have a modest collection of old radios myself. My favorite is a 1936 Fairbanks-Morse console with a big oval dial. I listen to it almost every day.

Wild Root

Gone Home
From one to another...

From one radio collector to another... NICE STUFF!!!

Wow, that Majestic is an amazing radio! The 'X' styled knobs and the fact that the chassis is mounted on one wall of the cabinet is just amazing! A flagship radio of any collection!!!

Also, the microphone is also a rare bird! Those can go for some crazy money!

My Mallory is off to you my dear, you've done very well!

=WR=

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
FedoraGent said:
Folks,

Just curious, but where are you folks getting your tubes these days?

Jon

Antique Electronics Supply
http://www.tubesandmore.com/

Also, West-Tech services' old owner , Steve Karpiak, unfortunately died a couple years back , but the company is back online with a new owner & doing golden era electric pickup and idler wheel rebuilding, Thank Goodness (that could've been the end of a hobby, I don't know who else does that work)

PS Miss Maine, very nice radios.

Swing High,
- Cousin Hepcat

FedoraGent

One Too Many
My Meissner '37

Folks,

Carried on from another thread, I thought I'd put the pics here as well. Here is my lil baby that was once as loud as my Victrola but unfortunately must have been damaged in my move.

radio1.JPG

radio2.JPG

radio3.JPG

radio4.JPG

radio5.JPG

radio6.JPG

Thanks,

Jon

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Great display, Lizzie! What a great idea, and an excellent opportunity to teach people about old radios. It's always refreshing to see people out there sharing their knowledge and using their collections to inform. Great work! :eusa_clap

pigeon toe

One Too Many
my boyfriend has just started collecting vintage radios and televisions, so he would love this thread. so far he only has a big (but beautiful!) console radio with a turnable and separate amp, but i know he would like some tabletop radios like the ones the rest of you have been posting.

estate and garage sales are really excellent for vintage electronics! its crazy how many people dont want that stuff anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana