Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Schott P613S in burgundy review

Kuro

Practically Family
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1dNac5DMYZjr3B99_KhKkoVU0gdvujGwx

That is a google drive link of some photos of my jacket. I also included the size measurement data from Schott on this style. I will do fit photos in the future. For now the focus is the jacket itself. Before I start, if there are any questions or photos of an area of the jacket, please ask. I am not a jacket authority, so my photos may not be of areas of importance. I will try and not be too wordy... Thank you.

First impressions: I love the color and the style. I am not a purist, but I am interested in a quality product. Smiled the moment I tried it on. I also like the wool liner, great color and texture. Jacket felt good and strong.

Observations: It is a heavy jacket. 7.6lbs according to my weight scale. Horween Chomexcel Steerhide leather. Feels like wearing cardboard, but well balanced and distributed. You really only feel the stiffness in the arms and your wrists as you move around. I can tell that a breaking in of the jacket will take time. Sleeve length is plenty long. I wear 34 - 34 inch sleeve length dress shirts, and this jacket falls to the first knuckle of my thumbs. Since this is a slim fit jacket, it lacks underarm footballs as I understand. But I don't really feel restricted unless I want to raise my arms above my head. Reaching for bars feels fine with minimal sleeve rise for me due to the action back. I like that the buckle snaps to the jacket so as to not flop around. Plenty of room for layering in the size large I selected. Able to stand up on its own, that is the kind of leather this is made of. The 100% wool liner is really nice.

Build quality: It does have a few faults. One belt loop was restiched. There are a few extra holes due to this and the leather being so stiff looks like it would tear like a perforated stamp if caught on something. But since it is not load bearing, probably will be fine? One small hole in the back panel, perhaps a scar in the hide? Two small holes near a pocket. Looks like a machine accident. Some stiching flaws that seem minor. In the big picture, seams and stitching are straight overall, very few examples of the stitching going off course. No ripples in the leather where stiched to a zipper. Just smooth as it should be. All in all, other than the one belt loop, I see a hand made product that has a tolerance below perfection. I am not sure if the belt loop was supposed to pass their QC, but again you don't really notice it except more of the natural leather can be seen around the stiching than the other belt loop attachment points. I give the jacket a big pass since I doubt I could get this jacket made by someone else better. I have never stitched leather so I assume the leather of this jacket is not easy to work with due to stiffness and thickness. Jacket looks like it was handled properly while being made as it is very easy to leave a mark on this jacket, and it was mostly mark free. The one mark I could complain about could have been a handling mark, and will fade in comparison to other maks in the jacket as I wear it.

Final thoughts: I really like the style of this jacket. It is comfortable worn and should only improve with wear. That being said it is not easy to wear. You have to want to wear it as the stiffness fights you. It is a heavy stiff leather jacket, and in that way a very serious leather jacket, even if it is burgundy! But these qualities also make it special for me and increases my respect for it.

I hope you enjoyed my review, I also hope I did not forget anything obvious.

P.S. The color is not anything at all like what is on the Schott webisite. It is a rich dark red, like red wine.

Last edited:
Great review and beautiful jacket. Those missed stitch holes would infuriate me tho. At $1.2k it should be closer to perfect.
For me, at full price, those flaws are simply unacceptable.

Kuro

Practically Family
Thanks for the review! Would love to see some fit photos!
Thank you. I will get some fit photos, but my photographer is away for the evening, so will have to be done another time this week.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Great review and beautiful jacket. Those missed stitch holes would infuriate me tho. At $1.2k it should be closer to perfect.
Agreed, i would send it back. One of these things would be ok, but all of them together is a bit much! They can't raise the price, lower the QC and get away with it.

Last edited:

Kuro

Practically Family

Compromise. I purchased it from a local Schott dealer, who only had a medium in stock, is moving to a new location this summer and was trying to clear inventory. He was very accommodating to me in that he ordered me a large size to compare when I asked which is what I purchased in the end, the size large. I didn't notice till I was home, 100 miles away. I doubt it would have changed my mind if I noticed it in the store though, I wanted it that much. Not sure if asking for another or returning it, although my right, would have gone over well for the dealer. Not really sure.

I forgot to mention, they only made 33 this year so far. I assume a similar amount last year as well, not a common jacket.

I have accepted the fact that if it does tear away, then the repair will have to be quite creative and done by hand, and will make the jacket more unique to me. Or Schott will have to fix their mistake, what ever that means.

Kuro

Practically Family
Agreed, i would send it back. One of these things would be ok, but all of them together is a bit much! They can't raise the price, lower the QC and get away with it.
I have been considering this. On first look Schott says I must go through the dealer I purchased from. I have been considering just sending it to Schott for them to fix it knowing that can only be done with a replacement.

Seeing two people say that it is not acceptable makes me consider following through with this.

Last edited:
You should send it back. That's no good, and should have been sold as a factory second at a discount. Shoddy quality control.
Absolutely and exactly. Had this been 1/2 the price then fine. But to be sold as a first and the flaws just kind of brushed under the rug....that's no good man. You deserve better for the $!!!

zebedee

One Too Many
The guy who sold it to you should not have charged you full price for damaged goods, either. For that much money, you get a perfect item. Don't convince yourself that it makes it 'distinctive' or 'quirky'- stick to your guns.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
^^ I agree with the assessments above. Something was off with this jacket and unfortunately the people who built it knew it. I would also recommend returning it, preferable directly to Schott with your receipts, etc. I may suggest e-mailing and calling customer service first, since you have good documentation on your concerns.

Really too bad, as it's a beautiful piece and I personally really like that color. It just seems to have been let down by someone in a hurry to get it done, and made some rather obvious mistakes. Hope it works out for you, that this one could be re-worked or they make you a new one. Good luck!

Kuro

Practically Family
The guy who sold it to you should not have charged you full price for damaged goods, either. For that much money, you get a perfect item. Don't convince yourself that it makes it 'distinctive' or 'quirky'- stick to your guns.

I do not believe that he went over it with a fine tooth comb, and neither did I at the time of purchase. Therefore both of us, or neither of us are at fault. It is the QC at Schott that let these errors through for sale. I don't want the dealer blamed in this. I do not feel that he is to blame. He ordered the jacket for me at my request, this was not a jacket he had in stock in his store. He only had a medium, and I asked for a large, and he delivered. Where I am to blame is not wanting to take this back to him for these issues, as I understand that there are a few more things involved. If I take this up with Schott, then I will see how they want to proceed, and make sure all of this communicated properly.

Think about it this way. Your local Schott dealer is a Schott distributer and actually has more pull with them than you do. If you keep on acting guilty of something somehow you may only hurt yourself concerning what is actually a fair solution. It's not the distributer's fault that he didn't notice the blatant faults and mistakes before he sold it to you. It's not your fault either that you overlooked them. It is Schott's fault for sending a defective jacket out to their distributer and customer. The distributer should send it back to Schott listing the blemishes which could only be the fault of the manufacturer. You might also complain to them of your dissatisfaction but let the guy who deals in jackets handled your case. Don't be your own lawyer. That's my advice...
HD

Kuro

Practically Family
Thank you HD, that is good advice. I understand. I don't believe I am guilty of anything, only that I really don't want to make this the dealer's problem. It has been several weeks since I purchased it from him now. It just does not feel right to me to suddenly say I want it exchanged without getting Schott involved first, with this much time having passed.

Why not get him involved..?? He is involved. Just show him the manufacturing defects that could only be Schott's fault and he should gladly return it and Schott should easily replace the jacket to please the distributer and you. My gawd man Schott and their distributers handle selling and even returning jackets all the time. It is their business after all.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
So I deal with this sort of thing at times in my formal work. Get the person who sold it to you involved, but also contact Schott directly. I agree you want the realtionship with the local person intact, however he will very likley understand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk