Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Vintage 40s Era Hunting Pants

draws

Practically Family
With 11 inches of new snow last night, it was time to pull out the old stand-bys, a pair of vintage wool Double-Ware Hunting pants. Warm and dependable for almost 70 years now.
2427254010104326402S600x600Q85.jpg

2715553610104326402S600x600Q85.jpg

2198687130104326402S600x600Q85.jpg

2461409380104326402S600x600Q85.jpg

2014251310104326402S600x600Q85.jpg

2934439650104326402S600x600Q85.jpg

2256018720104326402S600x600Q85.jpg

2589183460104326402S600x600Q85.jpg

Creeping Past

One Too Many
I've never previously felt the urge to use the 'clapping' emoticon. But I'm breaking the habit of a lifetime for this outstanding pair of breeks! :eusa_clap

I'm more than a little envious.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
My brother used to have a pair of those. Bomb proof, earthquake proof, blizzard proof, any and everything proof. Great things just to handle.
And of course, all the best things come from Brooklyn! (I'm tellin' ya, just another name for heaven!)

draws

Practically Family
gfirob said:
Are those American jodhpurs?

Carter, yes these were made in Brooklyn probably prior to or during WWII. These are original and were purchased for about $15.00 on ebay some years ago. I have seen them listed recently under the Mfg names of Soo Mills and Woolrich. However, those that I've seen were more the straight leg and didn't have quite the heavy flare that these have. They are still available in this size but you may have to be patient to find a pair. Best of luck finding some.

draws

Practically Family
gfirob said:
Are those American jodhpurs?
gfirob, these are called breeches. There is a misnoma concerning these types of trousers since many call them Jodhpurs. The distinction concerns the length.

Jodhpurs are similar in design but are longer and extend to the foot. They extend down over jodhpur boots with a built-in strap that goes under the boot heel.

Breeches (called Breeks in Europe) are not as long as jodhpurs and extend down the leg to just under the calf and tie with either laces, buttons or the combination of both. They are tight fitting from just above the knee to below the calf and are designed to be worn with full length boots.

fishmeok

Vendor
Awsome! You should forward that label on to John Chapman at Goodwearleather.com- he revived the Goodwear name for his company...

Here's a pair of what I believe to be '30's U.S. military breeches. Heavy, scratchy wool, leather patches on the outside of the leg.
Cheers
Mark

DSCN1779.jpg

DSCN1780.jpg

DSCN1781.jpg

DSCN1786.jpg

draws

Practically Family
fishmeok, Hmmmm, very interesting breeches. I have never seen a pair with leather on the outside of the leg rather than on the inside. Also, the leather is not what would be normally used (suede). The cut looks to be pre-1920s because it is a more rounded cut like the WWI AEF infantry breeches. However, officer's breeches prior to 1920 had a distinct flare to them like post-wwI breeches and had button/lace fasteners at the calf and all military breeches made after 1920 had the more distinct flare to them.

Another observation is that if they were military, there would be a quartermaster's tag on the inside belt area or under one of the pockets inside the pants. Everything about them speaks loudly as prior to 1920 (i.e. cut, heavy wool, laces, etc.) and definitely non-military.

Just a thouht. Are there any other indications on these that they might be converted military breeches (i.e. the buttons look metal)? Is there any writing on the buttons, like "Army" etc.?

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Excellent thread! AA and Esquire used to feature 'Winter clothing' articles with just this kind of breeches. In Britain the shape is common but NEVER in this block check fabric, like those. They are gorgeous!

fishmeok

Vendor
I have them buried somewhere, but after thinking about it there is a quartermaster tag inside dating them to the early '30's I believe. I'll have to find them this weekend and see. They are actually in a large size, about a 35 or so waist I think.
Cheer
Mark

draws

Practically Family
carter said:
:D AWESOME ! :cheers1:

Does anyone know if these, or something similar, are still made?

No. These are no longer made. They are still available and can surely be found at antique clothing outlets or by auction. However, I simply cannot remember when I've seen this style available in all the years I've had them. You could try googling the "wool hunting breeches" or "wool hunting pants", etc. That should get you started.

draws

Practically Family
fishmeok said:
Awsome! You should forward that label on to John Chapman at Goodwearleather.com- he revived the Goodwear name for his company...
fishmeok,

I did contact John Chapman at Goodwearleather and this is his response:
=====================================================
Thanks so much for sending this! I believe there were several companies
that had a close name as what I use now. One was Good Wear Knitting Mills,
another the one you have the trousers from, and then Good Wear Leather
Coat Co, which made B-10 jackets and A-11A trousers.

Since this company has Goodwear as one word, I wonder if it was a
different one? Even today, there's a Good Wear t-shirt company.
=====================================================

I can find no references to either Good Wear Knitting Mills or Good Wear t-shirt". Thanks for the information

J

john z

draws said:
No. These are no longer made. They are still available and can surely be found at antique clothing outlets or by auction. However, I simply cannot remember when I've seen this style available in all the years I've had them. You could try googling the "wool hunting breeches" or "wool hunting pants", etc. That should get you started.
Only takes a few minutes to find very similar for sale:

http://www.tias.com/8354/PictPage/1922528432.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points