Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Vintage Car Aquisition Odyssey

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
I've just bought a 1941 Buick Special twin carb 4 door sedan.

I have been over to North Carolina to see her, and she's sweet. I was so thrilled to finally see her in the tin (so to speak).

You see, I have been looking at buying a 1941 Buick 4 door sedan fastback, in earnest now for about a year.

Whilst initially being drawn to the big fat grills of the late forties cars I eventually realised that my passion lies in the late 30s, early forties era.

I didn't want a 30s car, and I fell in love with the 1941 Buick.

Not the 1940 Buick, not the 1942 Buick, but the 1941 model.

It was so advanced for its time, the same basic car and shape was used for years post war.

So, I've been searching on the internet regularly.

My criteria were pretty specific:

I'm not a mechanic, so it had to be mechanically perfect
I'm not a restorer, so it had to be aesthetically perfect
I wanted a four door
I wanted to get it from someone who knows these cars

Another restored Special sold for $29k a few months before thru' Motor Car Portfolio, a consignor.

The car I'm buying has never been restored. Yes it's an unusual story:

:D

First, here she is:

Buick1941102.jpg

Buick1941106.jpg

.../..

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
.../..

So,

I found this car on Ebay, after discussions with the other half decided to take the plunge.

Bidding ender up no where near the reserve.

I talked to the owner after the auction.

His name is Mr. Lewis Jenkins Senior.

It turns out that Mr. Lewis Jenkins is a very highly regarded collector and restorer.

I agreed to the price after several days of contemplation, on condition everything was done to make the car perfect, complete with a "care package" of spare parts.

Man, this guy has some collection. And his shop is some operation...!

Here's my first rection when I saw his "museum"

Me = "OMG"

reaction.jpg

Here's the left side, all the 30s and 40s Buicks....

collectiononlhs.jpg

Mr Jenkins' father had a Buick dealership since 1913. His dad sold this car to a local couple who owned a department store in town. Neither of them drove, and a local black man named Burt drove them in this car. The couple were the Spainards. This is the house they lived at, and where my car was carefully stored....

outsidehouse.jpg

.../..

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Me too!! Me too!!

Thought this was SO cool when you told us about it in NYC. When do you take delivery? What's the rest of the story? You gonna drag this out just to torture your friends?? -- Col. Z

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
.../..

So,

What happened is, his dad SOLD the car to this couple, they drove it around carefully and stored it in the garage carefully.

It's been lavishly looked after, the condition is unreal.

Mr. J bought it back off the son, when the Spainards passed away. That was about 40 odd years ago.

It's been in his private collection ever since.

UNbelieveable.

.../..

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
.../..

Anyway,

Mr. J is 80 this year, we'd been chatting on the phone and he told me. I worked out the math and I figured he just missed the war.

Then I found out that he flew a B17 over Germany at the end of the war - he was 17. I really did not wan't to pry, but he just told e and I saw the pictures in his office.

I feel so good buying off a war hero!

Here we are:

mail.jpg

It was a bit emotional for him I think as he really never touched this Buick to restore it and it was the one that his mother used to love been driven in all the time.

But, retirement beckons and it's a good time to cash in a few of one's assets.

I think he's getting a good kick out of the fact that I will keep this baby sooo stock. I arrived there in full 40s regalia (normal business attire for me of course!).

Here we are (Mrs, 'H' and I):

landI.jpg

Interesting...?

.../..

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
.../..

This car is exceptionally clean.

Buick1941045.jpg

Call me a dummy, but I 100% believe that this is a completely genuine car that has just not been touched!

I spend a day with the mechanic in the shop who will be my point of contact. His name is George and he was 73. He was so genuine, so nice. Real "country". The people, the food. A great experience!! I visited George's house, he told me to call him whenever at home and such - these people were so nice.

.../..

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
.../..

Everything works on the car. Just look at this panel:

Buick1941043.jpg

The funniest thing ever happened.

Mr. J had had a little toggle switch fitted years ago so theat a wire ran into the glove compartment.

He used to plug in a little 8 track player and beam his 40s music out through the Sonomatic radio.

I looked at the wire in the glove compartment and it was a normal "aux" wire.

So I plugged in Mrs H's iPod. All of a sudden I was listening to my tunes over the original radio!!!

So neat!

I cant wait to play the Boswell Sisters over and over on the radion in my all new for '41 Buick!

Shout, Sister Shout!!

.../..

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Fantastic!

You so well deserve it. A beautiful car - I'm partial to that color combo and fastback, as well as the sedan body style. Wonderful!

Bonus: No Dynaslow to worry about. ;)

VintageJess

One of the Regulars
WOW!

Mr H,

Congratulations! Sounds like it worked out well for everyone involved. The car is absolutely gorgeous! Here's to many years of enjoyment!
Hope to hear lots more (and see more photos too!)

Jessica

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Thanks everyone for the encouragement.

She's three on the tree and no pickup problems. Exceptionally smooth. Great torque.

Would take it cross country (Ireland is only 400 mls wide ;) ).

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nice little moving time capsule you've got there

Thanks so much for sharing that.
Looking forward to more photos.

That's an incredible monument to
40s design. Enjoy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk