Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Whippet...

fatwoul

Practically Family
So I won me a Whippet on OFAS a couple of weeks back. Seller didn't want to ship outside the US, but a very kind FL member down in Florida volunteered to take receipt of it and forward it to me.

Here it is. The shoulder of my jacket is all rucked up. Ah well:

WhippetSML.jpg

My grumpy face hides how pleased I am with this hat. It's my first proper vintage lid, and it was a really good price, I think. About a third the price of a brown whippet sold on their yesterday, in fact.

So anyway, there you go. That should get Indycop and Colby Jack off my case. HAPPY NOW GUYS?!? lol

fatwoul

Practically Family
Dinerman said:
That looks really good on you.

Razzman said:
The hat's a beauty to be sure. Congratulations.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Thanks guys. I'm pretty happy with how it looks too. Still getting used to a grey hat.

As usual, I had to turn the hat a little to get the brim to sit nicely, since wearing it dead on caused the sort of swooshy brim COW members get all weak at the knees over. Personally, all that offcentre stuff bugs me.

So I had to recrease the top a little around from where it was, and put a pinch in the front where there was none. I am keeping this one fairly loose.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Way to go, Fatwoul! That's a great lookin' lid, and looks good on you, as well!:eusa_clap

And here's to our Florida member who lent a helping hand...:)

Cheers,
JtL

fatwoul

Practically Family
jimmy the lid said:
Way to go, Fatwoul! That's a great lookin' lid, and looks good on you, as well!

Thanks jimmy. It still needs a little gentle stretching to get it to be just right, but I know I have to be more careful with a vintage sweatband, so I'm taking it slow.

jimmy the lid said:
And here's to our Florida member who lent a helping hand...

I'm sure people can guess who it is, but unless they speak up I won't say. I'd hate to think I was responsible for them being bombarded with requests from other UK members to help them out, but if they want to stick their head above the pulpit themselves, that's up to them. lol

I am exceptionally grateful to them for all their help. They are a real star. :)

fatwoul

Practically Family
RBH said:
WOW Robin! That Stetson is you!

Thanks Rusty. I really do like it. When I first took it out of the newspaper it arrived in, I wasn't sure I would, because it was very different to other hats I have. The more I wear it, the more comfortable it gets and the more I get used to my reflection.

RBH said:
What do you think about the bound edge?...

I really didn't expect to like the bound edge, but I do. It finished the hat off nicely, and softens the appearance of the brim, making a 2.5 inch seem a little less, whilst maintaining the shadows of a 2.5 underneath.

RBH said:
Could a Open Road [or a Campdraft] be in your future?
:eusa_clap Very well done, you look great. :eusa_clap

Quite possibly. I've always felt that an Open Road needs to be worn with mirror shades and a star on your chest, whilst chewing tobacco. But, like this hat, they are growing on me. If I saw an Open Road for cheap, I'd certainly take the chance.

I don't know much about Campdrafts. Can you OR them too?

deelovely

Practically Family
It looks great!!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap Glad you finally got it and posted the pic. See... I told you I didn't eat it!;) We were happy to help you out!:D

fatwoul

Practically Family
Mr. Lucky said:
Looks great! Congrats and FAR OUT!

Thanks Lucky. I couldn't believe I managed to get it for the price I did. I think some people were put off by some speckly marks on the liner, but who sees that apart from me? That's just the hat's character.

Colby Jack said:
And you look way to happy with that hat!

Heh. Heh. :rolleyes: lol

Colby Jack said:
Looks great Fats! Ya done good!

Thanks CJ. :)

Johnnysan said:
Looks great! Gotta love those whippets! ;)

Cheers Johnny. I do love these whippets. As I mentioned, I was also keeping an eye on a brown one which ended yesterday, but the price on that one went through the roof. I don't know why, more than this one. Maybe the whole Indy thing has people clammering for brown fedoras, or maybe the winning bidder wanted one just like their dad's or something. I guess unless they are on FL and tell us the story, we'll never know.

Kentucky Blues said:
Nice Glasses!

Thanks KB. They're a little heavy, so I don't wear them all day every day, but they are good for making an impression.

But anyway, this is the hat section - what do you think of the Whippet?

fatwoul

Practically Family
deelovely said:
It looks great!!...
...Glad you finally got it and posted the pic. See... I told you I didn't eat it! We were happy to help you out!

Thanks guys. You made it all possible. :)

RBH said:
CAN YOU???

I'll say you can, here is my Campdraft with the FFA pin...

Ah yeah I remember that hat. Do you have any pictures of a Campdraft with an OR bash?

RBH said:
Somehow I knew it was you fine folks!
Well done, you helped out a great guy.

I dunno about the great guy bit, but they definitely helped out, and are definitely fine folks.

RBH

Bartender
fatwoul said:
Thanks guys. You made it all possible. :)

Ah yeah I remember that hat. Do you have any pictures of a Campdraft with an OR bash?

I dunno about the great guy bit, but they definitely helped out, and are definitely fine folks.
If you are talking cattleman crease... no. All my thin ribbons have a fedora style to them. But if you should want, the Campdraft has a 6 inch crown, it would take a cattleman crease very well.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
fatwoul said:
So I won me a Whippet on OFAS a couple of weeks back. Seller didn't want to ship outside the US, but a very kind FL member down in Florida volunteered to take receipt of it and forward it to me.

Here it is. The shoulder of my jacket is all rucked up. Ah well:

WhippetSML.jpg

My grumpy face hides how pleased I am with this hat. It's my first proper vintage lid, and it was a really good price, I think. About a third the price of a brown whippet sold on their yesterday, in fact.

So anyway, there you go. That should get Indycop and Colby Jack off my case. HAPPY NOW GUYS?!? lol

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
With that smile I should get a few freebies on my next pics!!!:D
I especially like the bound brim as well as the fat ribbon!:eusa_clap Looks a lot like deelovelys newest hat. Makes me want to try a bound brim.:rolleyes:

You've got the untouchables thing going there!

fatwoul

Practically Family
RBH said:
If you are talking cattleman crease... no. All my thin ribbons have a fedora style to them. But if you should want, the Campdraft has a 6 inch crown, it would take a cattleman crease very well.

I don't actually know what the crease I mean is called. The same kind of shape as the Renegade you sent me had, before I shaped it. A centre dent, and a dent all the way down each side, parallel to the centre one.

That's the shape I always associate with an OR.

6 inch crown eh? That would be pretty sweet for a proper diamond bash too. The diamond in that Renegade is lovely, but I had to telescope the centre to accommodate my head. A 6 inch crown would mean I could just do a straight diamond.

EDIT: I, not U, for anybody who read this before the change.

Duck

Practically Family
Sharp looking lid

Great looking hat, Robin!!!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap I think it suits you very well and the glasses just help refine the look.
I too, really like my Whippet, which by the way is the same color as yours. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider