Mystery NBC Song

Discussion in 'Radio' started by V.C. Brunswick, Apr 28, 2013.

1. I came upon this rather interesting recording. I have no idea about its origin or who it's by even though it sounds a bit like Richard Himber and his Orchestra.

On the NBC each night
    You'll hear three tones ring out
    They have a special meaning
    So here's what it's all about
    I love you
    Three little tones
    That just had their say
    I love you
    Funny, but honey
    That's what they say
    Chimes have rung
    Program's done
    My love song has just begun
    Turn the dials of your heart
    Tune into my station
    Though we may be miles apart
    Your radio tells you I know
    Listen dear
    Have you heard?
    I love you

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  2. Dixon Cannon

Dixon Cannon My Mail is Forwarded Here

G-E-C; General Electric Corporation

-dixon cannon

3. Dixon Cannon

Dixon Cannon My Mail is Forwarded Here

Done by the cast of Saturday Night Live, Season 4, Episode 1, c.1978

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/78/78ailoveyou.phtml

"I Love You (Three Little Tones)" - I don't think anybody knows what this is actually called; nothing even resembling a possible title turns up in ASCAP's ACE database. It's very clearly a paean to the three-note NBC Chimes, but other than a general presumption that it dates from the early 1930s (early enough to be using C A F for the "three little tones"), nothing else is known. Not the singer, not the orchestra, not the circumstances. This could be from a broadcast, but I'm more inclined to believe it was some sort of demo or test recording done in New York, either at NBC or at Victor. That this song was known about in the 1970s is evident by the fact that it opened the first episode of Season Four of "Saturday Night Live" on October 7, 1978. Garrett Morris sang the vocal, with backing by Laraine Newman, Jane Curtin, and Gilda Radner. Musical director Howard Shore (yes, that Howard Shore) conducted the orchestra and most likely arranged the piece for SNL. http://www.nbcchimes.info/nbcsounds.php[/SIZE]

-dixon cannon

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  4. The Wolf

The Wolf Call Me a Cab

Could it be Nelson Eddy?

Sincerely,
    The Wolf

5. dhermann1

dhermann1 I'll Lock Up

Nelson Eddy was a baritone. This guy's a tenor.

6. dhermann1

dhermann1 I'll Lock Up

I just posted it on Rich Conaty's Facebook page. If he doesn't know, then nobody does. But I'll bet he will.

7. Paul Whiteman and his Orchestra -- Announcer Blues
    A swinging number incorporating the NBC chimes.

[video=youtube;fgrQSRvOczU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgrQSRvOczU[/video]

8. hubbit

hubbit New in Town

If he does, he's the only one in the world. I can guarantee that. :)

When I was researching the song for my website nbcchimes.info (from which Dixon Cannon quoted above), I reached an acquaintance at NBC who told me that the files for the episode that opened Saturday Night Live's fourth season in 1978 mark the song as "unable to clear", because even in 1978 no information about the song could be found. It's as though for legal purposes this song doesn't exist. (Just as an aside, 1978 was well before NBC radio and television were split up and the NBC radio historic files donated to the Library of Congress.)

9. Fletch

Fletch I'll Lock Up

The band does sound somewhat like Dick Himber's, but lots of radio bands tried to ape Himber.

Some Tuber suggested Joey Nash or Stuart Allen is singing. As a singer myself, who's studied both at length, I feel sure that neither is the man here.

10. Fletch

Fletch I'll Lock Up

Kenny Baker?

My old buddy RatPfink66 just posted to the Tube as follows:
    I trust the Pfink's ears as I trust my own, and I think we just may have our man. Listen to Kenny:
    [video=youtube;l4g7xXUGAKc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4g7xXUGAKc[/video]

11. It seems that the original recording was taken down. However, here's the audio of the SNL version.