1. Thread galleries are live! Please let us know what you think of them in the thread in the Observation Bar.

Name one really wonderful thing you will for yourself in 2019

Discussion in 'The Powder Room' started by St. Louis, Dec 30, 2018.

1. St. Louis

St. Louis Practically Family

Dear Lounge Ladies,

I've never been one for New Year's Resolutions (at least none having to do with diet or exercise) but every year I add one new habit that makes me happy and, if possible, makes someone else's life slightly better.

Decades ago I vowed to carry real handkerchiefs everywhere I go. Such a treat.

Then a few years ago I pledged to send lots of cards and letters through the mail. That was a roaring success. My friends and family loved it!

This year I plan to eat my meals at a nicely set-up table. I will use my special 1930s china and my bakelite flatware. Every photo I've ever seen of a 30s or 40s meal shows lots of dishes, condiments, nice napkins, properly distributed flatware, and a glass of water or milk at every setting. This isn't really that much extra work, and incidentally I hope will help me manage my meals & serving sizes.

Over the summer I stopped at a yard sale where I picked up a dozen huge linen napkins in perfect condition. I washed and starched them & set them aside for the New Year. I may still have to eat my lunch at my desk when I'm in the office, but my meals at home will be lovely & civilized.

Do you ladies have any similar plans to treat yourselves well?

AmateisGal and MissMittens like this.
  2. MissMittens

MissMittens One Too Many

What I'm hoping to do this year is take time out for myself reading by the fireside. I have a modern apartment so don't have a fireplace, sadly. That being said, I've found a few gel fireplaces that would work, so I've been planning the library/music room around getting one of those.

RedDoll46 and St. Louis like this.
  3. BettyMaraschino

BettyMaraschino Familiar Face

Little late to the party here, but this year I hope to make more of my leisure time. Since moving home almost 5 years ago, I haven't sewn one complete item. I always find an excuse - housework, various qualifications, tired, not enough time etc. Well no more.
    I'm also teaching a colleague how to crochet, so I'm hoping to have completed a granny square blanket (if not two - the never ending granny square I started 2yrs ago!)
    I hope that now I've got over the major lifelong fear of dancing, I will be able to get up on the dancefloor at the rockabilly rave and atomic this year. I am planning on attending closer to home events, which are about once every 2 months if that, and whatever classes I can to gain confidence.

MissMittens likes this.
  4. St. Louis

St. Louis Practically Family

Wow, that's so admirable! -- all of it, I mean. I'm curious -- do you have a dedicated sewing space? I love to sew, but I have to create an almighty mess in my living room whenever I want to work on a project. That's what keeps me from finishing things; I just can't confront the idea of living with the mess for days or else dragging it all back into storage and then out again every day.

How did you overcome your fear of dancing? Did you take classes?

5. AmateisGal

AmateisGal I'll Lock Up

What I really want to do: find myself again.

After my divorce in 2017, it took all I had to heal and recover. In the middle of 2018, I started dating again and it's been full of ups and downs. I've also found that I'm questioning some of the core beliefs I've held for years - and that has really rocked the foundation of my soul. It's been incredibly hard to deal with.

So basically, this year, I want to figure out who I am now, what I want, who I want in my life. It's a process I didn't think I'd ever be undertaking, but here we are.

I also want to start dressing more vintage. I ordered a few dresses from ModCloth and I'm going to attempt to try and style my hair in different vintage looks. I don't know if I'll be successful or not, but I'm going to try!

LizzieMaine likes this.