Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Name this Tartan ? and Suggest Others

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
hmmm maybe tartans should be accorded the same respect as gang colours....

This got me thinking about Scottish gangs .... surely their colours would be whatever shade of track suit they found on the floor that morning.

I checked up which tartan my wife is supposed to wear and it turns out she's a MacBeth.

leighladymacbeth1.jpg

No surprises there really.

Xenophon

One of the Regulars
Tartans from space

Well, I'm in the process of ordering a new Aero, been e-mailing Holly about the cut/fit and in spite of myself swearing I was done with FQHH it's gonna be another piece in that very same material. Going for a fitted 'Maxwell' but sans yoke nor front breast pocket. The model's not on Aero's UK site but they're willing to make it. As for the colour...I muffled the voice of wisdom that was urging me to go with a safe brown (already have black) and decided to go with cordovan. It's a close call but I want to give it a try. As for the lining, provided they have a Harris tweed with a speck of colour in it that complements the cordovan then I'll take that. Else it'll be a tartan and 2 of the much derided and visible-from-the-moon ones that you guys mention here -I swear I only saw it after sending my shortlist to Holly- actually are on it: the Scrimgeor ancient and the Buchanan old ancient. Nothing wrong with a little boldness :) 2 other contestants are the drummond of Strathallan (but the motif looks a wee bit too small) and the Chattan ancient.

On top of that i'm also eyeing their Shackleton and a harris wool roll neck sweater. Going to be one of those financially unhealthy months I guess. But hey, anti cyclical policy to boost the economy and what not. Besides, given the interest rates my robber baron bank offers me vs inflation it actually makes sense to (spend) invest now.

I'm contemplating the Shackleton still as well. Waiting on the Thurston blue samples first.
I think you've made a good choice on the Aero. We get conservative at times and I like some bravery. I'll look at your choices to,or row with fresh eyes. Sounds interesting.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
For the record, I love really loud tartans - my next Aero will have almost certainly have a 'visible from the moon' one :D. I chose the Scrimgeor and Buchanan because I particularly like those ones! I actually think that if you've got all this heavy, dark leather going on, then the lining is an opportunity to lighten the whole thing! Cordovan's a great colour btw, I will be going for that next. Oh, and I have one their Harris sweaters, they're fantastic, though take a little wearing to soften up - even Aero's woolly jumpers need breaking in! :D

Last edited:
For the record, I love really loud tartans - my next Aero will have almost certainly have 'visible from the moon' one :D. I chose the Scrimgeor and Buchanan because I particularly like those ones! I actually think that if you've got all this heavy, dark leather going on, then the lining is an opportunity to lighten the whole thing! Cordovan's a great colour btw, I will be going for that next. Oh, and I have one their Harris sweaters, they're fantastic, though take a little wearing to soften up - even Aero's wooly jumpers need breaking in! :D
I agree. Although I did get a subtle Tartan for my 50's HBD, if I get another, it's gonna scream. Nobody ever sees it unless you take the jacket off, so why not go a little nuts? :eeek:

mikepara

Practically Family
Wear which ever Tartan you fancy. Even if your surname isn't that Clan, who can say that your Mother /Grandparent wasn't from that Clan? As long as you respect it.

Personally I can wear Wallace, Craigie, Armstrong and Moore.

images.jpg imageCreation.jpg images-1.jpg images-2.jpg

Xenophon

One of the Regulars
Hmmm, my ancestors hail from what's now Germany so I strongly doubt I can lay any solid claim to wearing any tartan whatsoever. But we're talking a jacket liner and surely if some artists can get away with doing unspeakable things to the Union Jack then this should fly.

Meanwhile I passed the order for the whole shebang: Maxwell jacket in C/X FQHH cordovan, no yoke, no front pocket and I went with the Scrimgeour ancient tartan as a liner. Will post some pictures when everything's in but Holly informed me that the waiting period currently stands at 6 (six)!!! months. Last time I ordered it also stood at 6 months but it reached me in 5.

Also ordered the Shackleton in tumbled brown horse ( and the ginger sweater). Waiting period for the Shackleton is estimated at 3 months. About sizing: Holly conferred with Ken as I wanted to make sure if the coat's cut took into account the fact that it's supposed to be worn with a layer (sweater..) underneath or not. It turns out no such allowances are made and the cut is really form hugging so I was advised to take one size bigger than my normal suit size.

Can't wait to receive everything; next time I fly to Europe I'll make a small detour via the UK, fly to Edinburgh and rent a car there to visit Galashiels and do some trekking in the area + use this as an excuse to purchase some more Aero items and trek a couple of 100 miles to Skye, home to one of my favourite whiskies (Lagavulin).

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
That sounds like an extremely pleasant itinerary! Look forward to seeing the jackets, and excellent choice on the tartan! ;)

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
My understanding is that the current Scottish administration have plans to have such miscreants hunted down individually and taken away for 'reprogramming'.

Edward

Bartender
You guys are sucking the fun out of these picnic blankets...

Bwahahahahaha....

No, no! I'm saying pick what you like, the brighter the better!

Fellow on the right seems to be wearing Blackwatch - and I bet he's never been in the army! Or worse.... he might actually be a Campbell! ;)

Bunny ears included?

Does it make me a bad person that I almost tourettsed "car keys!"?

I should be very clear that my parents never had that sort of party!

I really like this one. Can one see it from the moon?

Nah, that's positively tame, that one... You want something like one of those bright yellows. Or maybe the British Lions tartan.... Yeah.... http://www.lochcarron.com/reiver/british_lions.html .... Even the RCAF (seriously!) have a tartan these days. S' near mer Scoatish no tae wear any o' that turtan, ya ken? ;)

This got me thinking about Scottish gangs .... surely their colours would be whatever shade of track suit they found on the floor that morning.

I checked up which tartan my wife is supposed to wear and it turns out she's a MacBeth.

No surprises there really.

Ha! Dinnae tell your boss...

On top of that i'm also eyeing their Shackleton and a harris wool roll neck sweater. Going to be one of those financially unhealthy months I guess. But hey, anti cyclical policy to boost the economy and what not. Besides, given the interest rates my robber baron bank offers me vs inflation it actually makes sense to (spend) invest now.

For the record, I love really loud tartans - my next Aero will have almost certainly have a 'visible from the moon' one :D. I chose the Scrimgeor and Buchanan because I particularly like those ones! I actually think that if you've got all this heavy, dark leather going on, then the lining is an opportunity to lighten the whole thing! Cordovan's a great colour btw, I will be going for that next. Oh, and I have one their Harris sweaters, they're fantastic, though take a little wearing to soften up - even Aero's woolly jumpers need breaking in! :D

I love the loud ones too... RBH, I've long suspected it's less ancestral voices and more Vivienne Westwood circa Seditionaries that have affected me there.... The one I would dearly love to have - in a black FQHH Aero J106 (though I can see it fitting the Elvis model too), bright brass hardware - is the Presley of Memphis tartan.

imageCreation.aspx

Sadly, I believe this one is 'closed', availability controlled by Gracelands Estates.

Hmmm, my ancestors hail from what's now Germany so I strongly doubt I can lay any solid claim to wearing any tartan whatsoever. But we're talking a jacket liner and surely if some artists can get away with doing unspeakable things to the Union Jack then this should fly.

Most true Scots have never worn it a day in their life. ;) Frankie Boyle once said, while looking at a picture of three men in kilts, supposedly representing Scotland, "You do realise that's three Englishmen at a wedding?" lol

Meanwhile I passed the order for the whole shebang: Maxwell jacket in C/X FQHH cordovan, no yoke, no front pocket and I went with the Scrimgeour ancient tartan as a liner. Will post some pictures when everything's in but Holly informed me that the waiting period currently stands at 6 (six)!!! months. Last time I ordered it also stood at 6 months but it reached me in 5.

I imagine the wait time is dropping as they clear backlog. If memory serves, they plan to get it back down to three...

Also ordered the Shackleton in tumbled brown horse ( and the ginger sweater). Waiting period for the Shackleton is estimated at 3 months. About sizing: Holly conferred with Ken as I wanted to make sure if the coat's cut took into account the fact that it's supposed to be worn with a layer (sweater..) underneath or not. It turns out no such allowances are made and the cut is really form hugging so I was advised to take one size bigger than my normal suit size.

I need to get a trip up there myself. I really want to try on a Shackleton. If you'd said "leather waistcoat?" to me before, I'd have twitched oddly and mumbled about Sting. <shudder> Once we saw photos of the finished product, though..... I can't see me wearing it over a jumper, but over a shirt, like a sort of outer waistcoat, when a full jacket is too much... hmmn. Yeah. Need to try it on, really...

Good choice on the cordovan, though. I had my Bootlegger done in cordovan fqhh back in 2010 (still pretty sure it's not storse!). Gorgeous jacket:

250721_10150831101222260_1352761461_n.jpg

Tartan lining too - in this case, Blair - Mater's side of the family:

[img]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b122/Edwardmarlowe/Aero%20Bootlegger/IMG056.jpg

Where can you turn people in for wearing the wrong or unauthorized tartan? Please advize.
HD

Ah, but Mr Daddy.... Ve vill come to you! Ve are vatching.... <evil laugh to fade>

Xenophon

One of the Regulars
Hi Edward,

A very nice picture you posted there! It's likely digital in origin but has this Kodachrome quality over it. And it does a terrific job of showing the various shades the cordovan can take. I'm looking forward to receiving my jacket. If you have the opportunity, definitely check out the Shackleton, I liked the design from the moment I laid eyes on it but I'm admittedly partial to waistcoats, have a couple of them produced by the Japanese denim manufacturers and a favourite one by Pike brothers in Germany. Totally different from what Aero has on offer though. I do hope they manage to reduce the backlog, 6 months for my Maxwell is a bit rich but I guess it reflects their popularity and is testimony to the build quality one receives.

Edward

Bartender
Hi Edward,

A very nice picture you posted there! It's likely digital in origin but has this Kodachrome quality over it. And it does a terrific job of showing the various shades the cordovan can take.

Yes, this was shot on a digital Leica, with a mix of natural and very subtle artificial light. It does have that early Kodachrome quality by design... One from a shoot by Hanson Leatherby - www.hansonleatherby.com . Fantastically talented photographer.

I'm looking forward to receiving my jacket. If you have the opportunity, definitely check out the Shackleton, I liked the design from the moment I laid eyes on it but I'm admittedly partial to waistcoats, have a couple of them produced by the Japanese denim manufacturers and a favourite one by Pike brothers in Germany. Totally different from what Aero has on offer though. I do hope they manage to reduce the backlog, 6 months for my Maxwell is a bit rich but I guess it reflects their popularity and is testimony to the build quality one receives.

The Pike hunting waistcoats are nice; I also have an eye on the Hepville numbers. I do have my eye on a new Aero, but I've not yet narrowed it down to one model (from two or three); I think I need to go up there and see them in person, really. JUst got to make sure I leave the visa at home or I'll get myself in real trouble!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace