Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

National Day of Prayer?

freebird

Practically Family
no, I sure didn't. Wish I had known it was today ( have been avoiding all news broadcasts due to high political content and the high level of frustration it causes)

CharlesB

Suspended
No. Then again I find the idea that America has some sort of special place in God's heart because we are America to not only be the height of arrogance but also utterly asinine.

D

DeaconKC

Does America have a special place in God's heart? If enough people are praying it will.

CharlesB

Suspended
Feraud said:
Do not be so flippant about what happened in N.O. A lot of lives were destroyed and lost.
trust me you won't find a stronger condemner of the gov't (on all levels) response to that disaster. My point still stands.

Beyond that, this holiday is all about religious intercessory in the political state. Therefore this is a political thread and should be locked.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
CharlesB said:
It didn't seem to work very well during Katrina...

Wow...thats completely charming. Ridiculing Christianity w/ snide pessimism. Never saw that before. I think we've all learned something. To bad I wasnt aware of all this when the Pope was in town, I couldve stopped the motorcade & informed him that spreading spiritual peace is just so last century.

Feraud

Bartender
CharlesB said:
trust me you won't find a stronger condemner of the gov't (on all levels) response to that disaster. My point still stands.

Beyond that, this holiday is all about religious intercessory in the political state. Therefore this is a political thread and should be locked.
The only point that stands is your blatant disregard for others religious beliefs.
We can determine well enough what threads should or should not be locked.

Don't you have schoolwork to do?

CharlesB

Suspended
This is about the mingling of politics and religion and is prefaced with a history that is riddled with falsehoods and half-truths. The perpetual pronouncements of America's christian heritage betrays the actual beliefs of the founders and the history of secular enlightenment philosophy that let our nation prosper.

From the original link

Who We Are and What We Do
The National Day of Prayer is an annual observance held on the first Thursday of May, inviting people of all faiths to pray for the nation. It was created in 1952 by a joint resolution of the United States Congress, and signed into law by President Harry S. Truman. Our Task Force is a privately funded organization whose purpose it is to encourage participation on the National Day of Prayer. It exists to communicate with every individual the need for personal repentance and prayer, to create appropriate materials, and to mobilize the Christian community to intercede for America's leaders and its families. The Task Force represents a Judeo Christian expression of the national observance, based on our understanding that this country was birthed in prayer and in reverence for the God of the Bible.

Feraud

Bartender
Gee you have made your point. Time to close the country and tell everyone to stop praying. Happy?:rolleyes:

Btw, wouldn't this time be better spent getting done that homework you are always talking about?

CharlesB

Suspended
I have no problem with peoples beliefs. In fact, I hold beliefs myself though they are not specifically judeo-christian and often freely associate with various quaker elements. I encourage any means of innerpeace because thats a good thing. What I do take issue with is the politicization of faith as has been occurring in our country for a while now (the religious right is one of the many reasons I left the GOP for instance).

Give to Caesar what is his...
Feraud said:
The only point that stands is your blatant disregard for others religious beliefs.
We can determine well enough what threads should or should not be locked.

Don't you have schoolwork to do?

CharlesB

Suspended
Im done research for the day Ive been in the library nonstop n just got home.
Feraud said:
Gee you have made your point. Time to close the country and tell everyone to stop praying. Happy?:rolleyes:

Btw, wouldn't this time be better spent getting done that homework you are always talking about?

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
$0.02

Government, especially the government of the United States of America, has no business whatsoever giving directives to people to pray now, then, or during any week of the year. It, at best, represents the hypocrisy of those individuals who make up government and it's varied bureaucracies.

On the otherhand, it certainly is the right and privilege of any individual or group of individuals to band together to promote peace, prayer or togetherness - exclusively or inclusively.

I do believe that most self-actualized individuals do not need any prompt, edict or excuse to pray. Most 'pray without ceasing...' in the true sense of the word. It is those sincere, purposeful and affirmative prayers that actually 'move mountains' and change our world.

Each one of us should try it more often in the quiet of our own 'inner closet', without boast or brag. Namaste' my friends.

-dixon cannon

Feraud

Bartender
To add my thoughts to D.C. comments here
Dixon Cannon said:
On the otherhand, it certainly is the right and privilege of any individual or group of individuals to band together to promote peace, prayer or togetherness - exclusively or inclusively.
When a member of any religious group steps up and asks if people prayed I find it arrogant and repulsive to urinate on their parade.

D

DeaconKC

Maybe you could consider what my Grandma always taught: "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." Foofoogal started a thread out of a very nice gesture and you jumped in with sarcasm [at best] and what appears on the surface to be near hostility. I hope I am totally wrong about your words Charles, as you are very well written and expressed, but I have seen other of your posts where you seem to go out of your way to mock those who do believe. Again, I truly hope it is just a misunderstanding of your words, but that is all I have to measure by.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points