Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

National Day of Prayer?

D

DeaconKC

In respect to history, many of the first settlers here were escaping from the organized religions of other nations. That is why the protection or promotion of any or no religious beliefs was placed so importantly in our origins. The term separation of Church and State, appears no where in the Constitution, but several of the Founding Fathers [Jefferson especially] wanted to make sure that the persecution that had occurred in other nations would never appear here. But they also recognized that our laws and Constitution were based on Judeo-Christian principles. Even the standardization of English spelling was not established until after 1611 with the first publishing of the King James' Version of the Bible. This is just historical fact, not promotion of any one religion over another. Unfortunately today, many feel that Believers [of whatever faith] are being stripped of their ability to simply say "I pray" or "I believe this...."
If we have a President who is a Christian or Jew or Muslim or Buddhist, etc, shouldn't they be allowed to pray? Those who believe are not trying to offend those who don't when we say that.

dakotanorth said:
Even the King had to be crowned by the Pope- very symbolic.

Eh? Which King? And how long ago we talkin? 500 years? 600? Sorry, a little nitpicky, i know.

Irish4 said:
It is a bit funny that I ,today got a told by the bartenders about politics and by some of the members its not allowed?. but I see its just not allowed by someone who does not post much. wow, this religion topic is sounding political to me

It has been a real relief to return to a country where religion is off-limits as far as political debate. I found that wherever one might hide, religion followed one into whichever closet in the US. "As a Godfearing man" etc etc ad nauseam nauseating nausea YUKK!! Do what you want. pray when you want. Good on you. Leave it at home. I couldn't care less!

bk

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Irish4 said:
It is a bit funny that I ,today got a told by the bartenders about politics and by some of the members its not allowed?. but I see its just not allowed by someone who does not post much. wow, this religion topic is sounding political to me
FL threads on culture, religion, morés, etc. have been known to fall victim to the "Clausewitz effect" (the continuation of politics by other means). They start out with people avoiding politics, then others join the thread and feel tempted to slip something in, then someone else gets intemperate and before you know it clank goes the modlock.

Putting too many topics off limits would drive a lot of good participants away. The alternative is wide-awake moderation.

CharlesB

Suspended
Since it's been implied that I'm some what hostile toward christianity/religion (even though I'm not and consider myself a bit spiritual personally) I've decided to lay all my cards on the table.

On the issue of judging or persecuting christian...

GIVE ME A BREAK. Christians and to a larger extend believers in a judeo-christian god make up a super majority of the population in the United States. How the hell does that make you a persecuted minority? Seriously, I am so sick of everyone talking about Christians are losing their rights and how they all need to group together to flex their faith on a national/political level. Guess what you arent persecuted minorities in fact you are the largest group there is in the USA. Not only is it tedious and insipid but it's getting tiring. Give me a $(*ing break.

If it was any other group calling out about how they are a persecuted social minority when in fact they were the vast MAJORITY of the population you'd be greeted with laughter and derision.

Seriously all its doing is pissing the rest of us off.

*Edited for language*

D

DeaconKC

All I will say here is that some have been very courteous in their disagreement with such a day. To those, thank you. To everyone, if you ever do want someone to pray with, or need something prayed for, please PM me. At the risk of offending anyone, may God bless you all, especially Foofoogal, who started this thread and had it twisted.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
This has been rather saddening actually...

I can only apologise Foofoogal for the insensitive way that this thread has been hijacked and twisted around, I'm really very sorry. :eek:

You came bouncing in here with a smile on your face wanting to share the communal joy you'd just enjoyed and find out if others had entered into that spirit of things..., and I dare say that the smile has been removed by the rather negative and ungentlemanly actions of others.

This is very unbecoming of members of the Lounge and I'm sure I am not alone in feeling that some members here have rather let themselves down and been less than kind to a lady member who was just wanting to share her joy through starting this thread.

How disappointing...

PADDY said:
Foofoogal, I'm really glad you had a nice meeting and I really appreciate the kind and welcoming thoughts and sentiments that you came to this thread with.

I'm sure our members here will have the foresight to respect your thoughts in writing in here today and answer if they too were involved and had as good a day as you, sharing some time with others :)

I can tell you had a good time ;) because even from across that big pond I can feel the warmth and enthusiasm that you brought with you to the FL with your words. Thankyou for putting a spring in my step and a smile on my face today :D The power of prayer, being part of a community and the power of just being a nice human being:D

THANKYOU!!;)

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Foofoogal said:
Anyone take part in this today?
We had a nice town meeting.

No, I did not take part of it. I hadn't come across anything to remind me of it and as I'm not a regular church-goer I didn't have that venue to remind me, either. (Sunday mornings through early afternoon are reserved for time with my father-in-law.)

I have enjoyed taking part in it in the past. The USAF generally has Prayer Day breakfasts on base and those are quite enjoyable. As it is military the function is non-denominational.

I'm not, nor have I ever been, a very religious person. I do not, however, object to the government declaring a National Day of Prayer any more than I would object to the government declaring a National Day of Reason . One of the great things about this country is that we are free to observe or not observe the days proclaimed by the government. For example, how many people in this country actually observe Memorial Day as something more than the kick off to summer? How many think that Memorial Day is intended to remember everyone who has died rather than as a memorial to service members?

Yes, there may be some who are trying to "hijack" the National Day of Prayer to push their own religion's limited agenda of exclusion. I think that the original intention of having members of all faiths come together to pray in their own way is a worthy one, especially so in this current environment. In that way, the military's observations of the day is spot-on.

Regards,
Tom

freebird

Practically Family
PADDY said:
I can only apologise Foofoogal for the insensitive way that this thread has been hijacked and twisted around, I'm really very sorry. :eek:

You came bouncing in here with a smile on your face wanting to share the communal joy you'd just enjoyed and find out if others had entered into that spirit of things..., and I dare say that the smile has been removed by the rather negative and ungentlemanly actions of others.

This is very unbecoming of members of the Lounge and I'm sure I am not alone in feeling that some members here have rather let themselves down and been less than kind to a lady member who was just wanting to share her joy through starting this thread.

How disappointing...

Very disappointing. What disappointed me the most was the fact that folks who like to hearken back to the good ol' days of being civil to one another chose this thread to show their true colors. Vintage isn't just dress for some of us, it's a belief system of how we conduct ourselves....or at least I thought that was the basic premise.

I wouldn't take part, it would be hypocritical of me. I do admire people who believe in it so much though. I wish I had something that I had so much faith in. I can't even say I have that much faith in science [huh]

Some people just seem to be concerned with getting peoples backs up about this whole thing though, which I think is totally unfair, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but some people are too pig headed to think that some may disagree with their views.

Unfortunately it was the hypocrisy of such people in my church that made me hate going & pretty much give up on any idea that there is anything/one worth praying to.

N.B. This is a dig at noone, I am not pointing fingers or making assumptions about anyone ok, I'm just pointing out facts & similarities between people on both sides.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana