Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

National Straw Hat Day

J.B.

Practically Family
Just boppin' in to say hope everyone had a super National Straw Hat Day today! I celebrated by sporting my Dobbs straw flat-top porkpie with an "optimo" crease...

...of course in Hollywood, every day can be Straw Hat Day thanks to the balmy weather!

This just in...... Of interest to other "Odd Holiday" fans -- today was also Nylon Stockings Anniversary Day (May 15, 1940 was when nylon stockings went on sale for the first time in the United States.) :D

Sadly, I did miss out on No Pants Day -- The first Friday in May... Unngh, with my Miami-Beach-Tourist legs it's prolly just as well that I spared everyone the view?!

Anyway -- I think I'll try and find a used Open Road Straw for this summer... :arated: ?!

magneto

Practically Family
Amazing!

I had no idea of this momentous holiday, but it so happened today was the first day this year I've worn a straw hat. I suppose for real verisimilitude I should have gone to a baseball game and thrown my hat onto the field in a fit of pique (I was just reading Heywood Broun and apparently baseball fans threw hats around at games like there was no tomorrow).

J.B.

Practically Family
magneto said:
I had no idea of this momentous holiday, but it so happened today was the first day this year I've worn a straw hat. I suppose for real verisimilitude I should have gone to a baseball game and thrown my hat onto the field in a fit of pique (I was just reading Heywood Broun and apparently baseball fans threw hats around at games like there was no tomorrow).

Heh. Here's a pic of Ty Cobb picking up hats that his "fans" :D sailed onto the playing field at him during a game...

hatsonfieldcobb1od.jpg

He reportedly told the press that he took them home for the mules on his Georgia farm to wear...?!

...but if you ask me, what you are seeing is the original inventory supplier at work for the forerunner of eBay's hat category -- Boater-Bay dot com! :icon_smil

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Still in Felts

I had been looking forward to the switch-off, but it has been raining steadily for days with no letup in store.
So, rain-shedding Akubra felt for now.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
National Straw Hat Day would have to be International Straw Hat Day for me, and with all the rain we've been having, it would qucikly become International Compost On Your Head Day. [huh]

RedPop4

One Too Many
Wish I'd known. I have a beat up old straw hat that is in need of a re-block and a stretch. It belonged to my grandfather, so I'd love to have it in wearable condition.

And, alas, my Havana from PanamaBob hasn't yet arrived.
I wore a light color wool fedora if that's any compromise.[huh]

Jake Sullivan

One of the Regulars
I have some mixed feelings about the straw hat, I think the straw fedora and panama look okay, but the porkpie I think would be a little wide for me. just my two cents, I will probably by one for next summer to try it out.

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
I saw a pic on Ebay where the people in the photo were celebrating it. I will have to search to see if there is anything going on in my neck of the woods. It is certainly warm enough.

Mav

A-List Customer
CaramelSmoothie said:
Anybody celebrating it this year? I did not even know about it until I found a pic on Ebay.

*edited for posting link to live auction! Sorry!*

Weather's been good, so I decided to switch off on the 1st. I'll be wearing straw on the 15th.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21