Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

National Treasure: Hope for the Return of Three Pieces...

Jovan

Suspended
I just watched this film with Mark the other night. I rather liked it. What struck me from the beginning was Riley's exquisite tweed three piece. Seemed to fit him well enough, and the texture was amazing. And then I noticed that it was a three piece. Double whammy! National Treasure 1 and 2 are pretty popular and well regarded films. Will this prompt the return of the three piece in vogue? Riley sure looked cool in it. The other suit was a blue corduroy (I think, maybe it was moleskin) which also looked pretty nice. He looked comfortable in both, which is the most important thing.

I ask you not to nitpick too much as can be the case here with any of our favourite vintage styles brought back today. Yes, the trousers are slim cut. Yes, the rise is a bit low. Yes, the trousers had belt loops. But... so what? At least it's progress, and at least it isn't nearly as bad as some of the attempts to bring back the double breasted in the fashion world.

Thoughts? (Please black out any spoilers and add a warning.)

FedoraGent

One Too Many

As long as it appeals to the male requirement to see things blown up while keeping you mildly entertained...I'm going to see this movie. The other one was entertaining.

FG.
Jovan said:
I just watched this film with Mark the other night. I rather liked it. What struck me from the beginning was Riley's exquisite tweed three piece. Seemed to fit him well enough, and the texture was amazing. And then I noticed that it was a three piece. Double whammy! National Treasure 1 and 2 are pretty popular and well regarded films. Will this prompt the return of the three piece in vogue? Riley sure looked cool in it. The other suit was a blue corduroy (I think, maybe it was moleskin) which also looked pretty nice. He looked comfortable in both, which is the most important thing.

I ask you not to nitpick too much as can be the case here with any of our favourite vintage styles brought back today. Yes, the trousers are slim cut. Yes, the rise is a bit low. Yes, the trousers had belt loops. But... so what? At least it's progress, and at least it isn't nearly as bad as some of the attempts to bring back the double breasted in the fashion world.

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
I've been looking forward to seeing this movie. I really enjoyed the first one, so I was hoping that someone had seen the new movie and would start a thread.

Has anyone else seen this yet? (As Jovan mentioned, please be careful of spoilers.) Thank you.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
"Will this prompt the return of the three piece in vogue?" No...it was just at the start of the film for a few minutes, he's not the lead and more of a comic foil for the leads, and the women who approached clearly considered him something of a loser or joke at best. And then he was back into modern casual wear for the hunt for Riley for the rest of the film.

vintage68

Practically Family
Jovan said:
. Will this prompt the return of the three piece in vogue?

I would say that the three piece, or vested suit, already has made a comeback. They're a lot more popular today than even three years ago when I had to special order suits with vests. I mean Justin Timberlake wears one in his new video for chrissakes...

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
My hubby, our daughter, and I are off to see this tonight. I can't wait.
My co-worker said it was on par with the first one, but then another gal I talked to said it wasn't as good as the first one. So we'll see. :rolleyes:

BJBAmerica

A-List Customer
Saw it.....Not quite as good as the initial, but a great "popcorn movie" all the same.

Two new characters are introduced, Helen Mirren plays Nic Cage's mother, and Ed Harris plays the "Heavy".....Don't know if I'd call him the "Bad Guy"....There's a bit of an unspoken mystery surrounding his character, coupled with another "Secret" that leave the door open for a 3rd installment.

Both this and the original are fun, escapist fare, mixing true historical events and characters with fictious ones for some great thrills. This isn't Oscar material, but then it was never intended to be. It's a fun movie the whole family can enjoy, packed with historic references throughout.

It delivers on every level......100% fun!!

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

I saw it too. I didn't see the original in the threatre...only on DVD. Both aren't as good as Indiana Jones....which it borrows from. Yet as stated above they are good popcorn flicks. I enjoyed it.

Jovan

Suspended
Mike in Seattle said:
"Will this prompt the return of the three piece in vogue?" No...it was just at the start of the film for a few minutes, he's not the lead and more of a comic foil for the leads, and the women who approached clearly considered him something of a loser or joke at best. And then he was back into modern casual wear for the hunt for Riley for the rest of the film.
He wears a cool blue corduroy/moleskin suit when he hacks into the security. :D

It was only a thought. And hey, you saw the end of the movie. Spoiler: [That girl seemed to think he was pretty cool. Though I wish he was wearing a suit when she approached him.]

vintage68 said:
I would say that the three piece, or vested suit, already has made a comeback. They're a lot more popular today than even three years ago when I had to special order suits with vests. I mean Justin Timberlake wears one in his new video for chrissakes...
Justin Timberlake's suit is pretty ill-fitting though, and he wears a belt with the trousers drooping. :eek: You are right though. Even Men's Wearhouse and Express Men have a couple here and there. It'd be cool if tweed made a huge comeback, though. The tweed on Riley's was... wow. Awesome. Very vintage look with the big white flecks.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
We just got back from seeing this. I wouldn't say it's as good as the first, but it's definitely close. Entertaining all throughout and had me on the edge of my seat for a good portion. I highly recommend it!

Marty M.

Vendor
You forgot one...

FedoraGent said:
As long as it appeals to the male requirement to see things blown up while keeping you mildly entertained...I'm going to see this movie. The other one was entertaining.

FG.

Hey FG you forgot one other male requirement, an easy on the eyes Dame.
Marty Mathis

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Beware the spoilers!

Here's my review:

This film starts off with the Lincoln assassination and Booth's diary pages being thrown onto the fire. At Ben's lecture Mitch (Ed Harris up to no good as always) presents one of the missing pages and claims Ben's great grandfather was a co-conspirator in the assassination. Ben with Riley Poole (masterfully played again by Justin Bartha) and Abby set off on an adventure to prove Great Grandpa's innocence by finding Cibola. Their adventure begins in Paris then takes them to London (by far one of the funniest sequences in the film). Ben pretends to be a drunk spouting out British slang by the mouthful (I wonder if the Brits found this funny) in an attempt to gain access to the Queen's Resolute Desk. Once their task is complete Riley sets off the fire alarm and this brilliant dialogue takes place a guard shouts out "The fire alarm is going off!" cut to Riley "Uh-oh! God save the Queen!" Priceless. In the desk they find a piece of lumber with carvings that only one person can decipher Ben's mom, Emily (none other than The Queen herself Helen Mirrin). Of course, Emily is not a fan of treasure hunting. Their massive puzzle solving skills prove useful as through a series of sometimes silly circumstances (kidnapping the President anyone) they find Cibola. Being a minor conspiracy theorist I was intrigued by the President's Book. Supposedly this is a book passed down from president to president containing important presidential secrets only the President should know (ie. Area 51 and the like). The current (fictitious film) President hid it in the Library of Congress. Oh to visit that place one day! Anyway not to get off on a tangent. This flick is fun. Riley is hilarious although his recap from the teaser is missing from the finished product. Never fear I have it here: "So let's recap: We've broken into Buckingham Palace, and the Oval Office, stolen a page from the President's super-secret book, and actually kidnapped the President of the United States. What are we gonna do next, short-sheet the Pope's bed?" Awesome. I also found myself solving pieces of the mystery during the film though I found it unfair when some of the characters knew more than the audience. Of course most of them hadn't read Riley's book either. My recommendation is yes go see this flick. It's good clean Disney fun that's not too cheesy. Plus Harvey Keitel is in it. You know you can't say no to that. Hopefully whatever is on page 47 in the Book of Secrets is revealed in National Treasure 3.

Josephine

One Too Many
I went to see this yesterday and liked it very much in the theaters, and still liked it a day later, though not quite as much as the first one. But it's no Indiana Jones II (ug! *yucky* [bad] ) or Back to the Future II. I do hope they make a National Treasure III, I'd like to find out what's on page 47. :)

indycop

I'll Lock Up
I saw this today or I guess yesterday now. Not as good as the first but good. Abigail is definitely easy on the eyes and a good character and classy dresser. It's nice to be able to watch these without worrying what kind of language or other stuff they might show, when you have your kids with you.:)

Blackjack

One Too Many
I want to know what brand sunglasses Cage was wearing in this film, very cool! I liked both movies about the same, but also wold like to know what was on the page. Guess we wait till the third movie...

Jovan

Suspended
indycop said:
I saw this today or I guess yesterday now. Not as good as the first but good. Abigail is definitely easy on the eyes and a good character and classy dresser. It's nice to be able to watch these without worrying what kind of language or other stuff they might show, when you have your kids with you.:)
Censorship is for Puritans!

:p

Honestly, apart from a couple of violent moments in the Indiana Jones movies, I'd say those are fairly family friendly. The language never goes beyond PG levels like "damn" or "hell" and none of the violence is excessive like many new movies. The thinking these days is since you can't find a good way to make a movie, you have to quantify certain things to make up for it. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21