Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Navy 37J1 influences Orvis "A-2"

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Some of you may know about Orvis' Amphibious A-2, made of polymer-treated cotton poplin that keeps water off efficiently. The jacket was outerwear cut but had period features like a stand-and-latch collar and 1pc back panel.
f_89646_1.jpg

Now it has been redone with style cues from the Navy cloth 37J1 - an up to now very obscure piece of clothing. Have the Orvis people been following Willis & Geiger prices on eBay, or Buzz Rickson's perhaps???
1P3HFB0_lg.jpg

Note that they still call it an A-2. And the price has nearly doubled, from $149 to $275.

Last edited:

thor

Call Me a Cab
I love the Orvis re-design and have always liked the Willis & Geiger NA-1 (their version of the 1930's 37J1A). The prices on eBay for most vintage W&G items has steadily increased over the years as more and more people start to appreciate W&G quality and classic designs.
I have lots of W&G clothing that I have collected over the years, including a size 44Long NA-1 jacket that I will never part with. I just may have to get to an Orvis store to check out this new re-design "A-2".

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I own 2 W&Gs in this pattern. One is labeled NA-1 in very light cord with the USN stencil. The other is labeled as a civvy jacket and made of washed twill. The pockets have warmers and are, I believe, slightly bigger.

Both have the major flaw that the windflap goes up about halfway into the collar, then stops. This makes it kind of a pain to wear any way but all the way open or closed.
7263400038_d471e64c98_z.jpg

Did I mention that neither is at all water repellent?

thor

Call Me a Cab
I believe the original 37J1A jackets were made of a heavy duty waxed cotton/canvas that must have been water-repellant (if not 100% waterproof). The W&G are nice civilized copies of that jacket. Filson makes a great waxed cotton canvas in various weights and styles that is near waterproof and very rugged; their material may be closer to what originals of the 37J1A contract were like.

Long ago (when W&G were still in business) I owned a second NA-1 jacket in size 46 regular. I had the same issue with the inner windflap that ran all the way up the collar. On that jacket I went to a professional tailor and had her cut the windflap down to resemble the G-1 flap; she did a great job, even rounding the top edge to a curve that ended about half way up the front zipper. It looked and functioned perfectly and still retained the style of a Navy garment since all the G-1 jackets had similar windflaps. My size 44Long NA-1 I have kept in original condition.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
I've just picked up one of these W&G NA-1 jackets (the 37J1B repro) in a 46 regular on EBay for $150 and I'll get the windflap tailored in a similar fashion. On originals, the windflap is squared off and ends about half an inch below the collar knit.
Will post photos when I get it.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
The other big issue with the NA-1 is the heavy weight of the zipper vs. the thinness of the cotton knit. It makes the collar stretch and not look like originals.

I've just found heavyweight Bedford cord in a moss color at an online fabric dealer. If water treated it might make an acceptable 37J repro.
8356021652_8605b5c8df_n.jpg

The original-type 14oz Jungle Cloth is now only available in Japan (naturally).

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
This is just to tide me over, flaws and all - I'd really like the RMNZ 37J1B as the Zielinski contract, or the BR in the same size and sea wash finish.
The likelihood of finding either in a 44 is slim, but I live in hope.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24