Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Navy Fedora: What ribbon to choose?

Spatterdash

A-List Customer
So, I'm lookin' to snag myself a navy fedora, and I started wondering what colour of ribbon I should get. I've searched some of the threads and seen a few that broke the mold. Got me wonderin' what hasn't been tried, or what you might like to see more of.

I know I can get matching navy, but what about a shade off, like Royal Blue, or something subtle, like charcoal gray instead of black?

What do you suggest? What ribbon would you like to see on a Navy blue fedora?

Feel free to post pics. There's no such thing as too many blue fedoras.

PhilS

One of the Regulars
Who's got navy?

I have Art's swatches and navy isn't one of them. There is a midnight blue, but it is a moonless night for sure. I was thinking myself that navy would be a nice color. No good ideas about the band, though.

Stoney

Practically Family
I think you're on the right track Spatterdash. Stay with Blue, Black and Grey if you want this lid to be wear with anything capable. The other option I see is to shift the color tone of the ribbon into either the red , yellow or green shades to match a particular suit, look or outfit. Personally I would go with Blue-Black or Grey..maybe Dark Brown as well.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
I prefer a darker blue ribbon.

DSCF0790.jpg

DSCF0791.jpg

Gray might work but it would have to be the right shade. You don't want too much contrast.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here's my navy Lock. My own view is that a navy fedora is a pretty formal hat, thus you need to consider the setting in which you'd wear it. In other words, I probably wouldn't go too crazy with the ribbon. What I think would be nice, though, would be some of Art's fun ribbon work. Maybe have a cream stripe in the bow. I wonder how a burgundy ribbon might look, though.

p1012043td7.jpg

Spatterdash

A-List Customer
I agree, charcoal does have a depth to it that might pair well with navy.

I still thinking hard about royal blue or something. My inspiration is Art's Midnight Blue, which he did for Fedoralover...

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=9883&highlight=midnight

Granted, It's not a classic navy, but it close enough for an example. That really has me thinking, because that's a classy hat for a navy suit or a gray suit, but the royal blue ribbon makes it almost denim-friendly, like it could also work with blue jeans and a windbreaker. A flexible hat, ya know?

AlanC

That one is a beauty, no question.

If you're planning to have Art do the hat I would simply talk to him about the ribbon then let him go with it. Art knows what works, understands the possibilities (and the dangers!) and in my experience always overdelivers on the ribbon (well, everything else, too).

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Fedoralover has a fantastic deep blue with matching ribbon. Art's work, I believe. I can't seem to get my hands on the thread with the pictures....

AlanC

Spatterdash

A-List Customer
Okay, Fedoralover, fess up!

Is the ribbon on that baby royal blue or does it match the colour of the felt?
The way the sun hits it in the first few photos, I'd swear it was the ribbon was a shade lighter than the hat, but when you wear it, I can't tell for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points