Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Necktie Knots

tealseal

A-List Customer
I tend towards half-windsor or the Nicky (or Pratt, depending on how well the tie keeps its knot) for my day-to-day. I tend towards standard button-down oxfords, unless I'm going more formal, since I only have two non-button down collar shirts. Ian Fleming's James Bond did not trust a man who wore a windsor knot, and I agree. The knot just looks pompous. The only times I've ever worn it have been when giving presentations. Day-to-day? Never.
Regarding dimples, I do like the dimple, but I try really, REALLY, hard to tie my tie without one, particularly on formal occasions. On those occasions, I usually have my lovely lady make sure everything looks straight and proper, before heading out the door. Tying the tie without a dimple is a guarantee that she'll put one in for me. Not only do I rather enjoy the extra attention , but when she does it always looks much, much better. :redface:

Ian Fleming's James Bond did not trust a man who wore a windsor knot, and I agree. The knot just looks pompous. The only times I've ever worn it have been when giving presentations. Day-to-day? Never.

:rolleyes:
spank.gif

Feraud

Bartender
This is a good point. A vintage tie does not have all that thick material through out the body of the tie. A Windsor with a vintage tie is the perfect knot for it without being too big.
Very true. I like the shape of a Windsor with vintage ties but modern ones look a bit gaudy and overblown. See below-
special02.jpg

Very true. I like the shape of a Windsor with vintage ties but modern ones look a bit gaudy and overblown. See below-
special02.jpg

I see those sometimes as well. It makes me want to go up to them and tighten the knot up. In order to get it like that you have to tie the knot loosely. If you tie the knot taunt then it will be a smaller knot. That guy is just trying to make that knot too big---the dunce!
It should look like this:
187px-Windsor_Knot.jpg

That other way is a clear case of not knowing how to tie a knot. :p

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Well done, and you know there is one "knot" that if someone ties for you sort of lets you know you are in some "big trouble" with them.....(hangsman)...lol!

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
I've been curious lately about the "Merovingian" or "Ediety" or "Atlantic" knot. Does anyone here wear them? They look quite interesting when tied properly. I've been considering sporting one with one of my suits one of these days.

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
edeity.jpg

It looks like that. All three of the names I mentioned are basically the same knot. Opinions seem to vary slightly as to precisely how to tie it, but it seems that the consensus is that it's a french style of tie knot and that it is tied with the skinny end of the tie as opposed to the wide, making it very easy to adjust for length. Instructions to tie it:
atlantic2tie.jpg
Apparently on the last bit where the skinny end loops behind for the last time, you put it through the loop you made in the previous step.

Last edited:

Highlander

A-List Customer
James, I do similar, usually a half Windsor but I make the loop on the "right" half of the knot giving it the appearance, but not the bulk of a double Windsor, with more of an Isosceles Triangle than a Scalene or Right Triangle. The Double Windsor of course almost giving the look of an equilateral triangle.

James, I do similar, usually a half Windsor but I make the loop on the "right" half of the knot giving it the appearance, but not the bulk of a double Windsor, with more of an Isosceles Triangle than a Scalene or Right Triangle. The Double Windsor of course almost giving the look of an equilateral triangle.

The Windsor and Half Windsor are good knots for vintage ties. On modern ties you have to tie them taunt and make sure that you pull both ends going into the knot to get the knot even. The overhand knot is more for 60s skinny ties so the knot won't overpower the tie width. :p

GHT

I'll Lock Up
At a wedding that I was at last Saturday, the head waiter wore his neck tie in a 'Trinity Knot.' It intrigued me, since returning home I have looked it up. Up to a point it follows The Windsor except that instead of the wider side crossing the narrower side, it ties the opposite way. Do I like it? The jury is still out.

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
At a wedding that I was at last Saturday, the head waiter wore his neck tie in a 'Trinity Knot.' It intrigued me, since returning home I have looked it up. Up to a point it follows The Windsor except that instead of the wider side crossing the narrower side, it ties the opposite way. Do I like it? The jury is still out.
The Trinity knot is my go to when I want to add a little flare instead of my usual half-Windsor. Aside from the venue/event itself the pattern of the tie greatly dictates whether it's appropriate or not.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
For those under voluntary house curfew, how have you kept yourself occupied? Reading is an absorbing pass time, but you can only read so much. TV has become as interesting as watching paint dry, what then?
Now that I have cracked the trinity knot I have been having a go at "The Eldredge." This I must say, isn't my effort, but I'm getting there.
eldredge knot.jpg

Now if you can crack that you can crack the Vidalia.
the Vidalia.jpg

How are you doing? Not bored now, eh? How about giving the turbine a go.
windmill.jpg

But do you know what? I know when I'm beaten:
hats 039.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner