Need a wool blanket for my bed

Discussion in 'Your Vintage Home' started by Bruce Wayne, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Bruce Wayne

Bruce Wayne My Mail is Forwarded Here

What would you ladies & gents recommend as a wool blanket for these soon to come cold winter nights?
    Thanx!!!
    Charlie

2. 1930artdeco

1930artdeco Practically Family

A quilt probably would be better and fancier. Try an antique store or a boutique store that deals in household items.

Mike

3. Dinerman

Dinerman Super Moderator Bartender

Hudson's Bay point blanket.

4. de Stokesay

de Stokesay One of the Regulars

While I have a handmade feather-filled duvet and two quilts on my bed (I suspect it gets colder here than it does there) you can't go wrong with feathers. Unless you are allergic to them of course. Another option if you want wool might be a surplus wool blanket from one of the European armies. These can be 4-6 pounds though so if you're looking for light weight this might not be your best bet. If you go the wool blanket route, try to get one that is all wool, not a blend, as it will be warmer.

de Stokesay

5. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

I use a WW1 Army blanket underneath a quilt -- good and heavy and substantial. A Pullman blanket is also good.

6. Tomasso

Tomasso Incurably Addicted

Try Pendleton.

7. DNO

DNO One Too Many

I'll second that one. We've been using them for years.

8. RegentSt1965

RegentSt1965 Familiar Face

Saw Tanner Goods blanket (Pendleton wool) at Son Of a Stag in London yesterday. Very nice. One left. I was in to finally splash on a BR Khaki N1 :)

9. sheeplady

sheeplady I'll Lock Up Bartender

10. Pinhead

Pinhead One of the Regulars

I have tooooo many vintage military surplus wool blankets from all over the world. Some of them weigh up to five pounds. They are often my best friends.

11. Either Hudson's Bay point blanket (expensive) or an older military blanket (cheap).

12. cookie

cookie I'll Lock Up

Onkaparinga

13. Tomasso

Tomasso Incurably Addicted

In lieu of a wool blanket you might consider a down duvet. Just throwin' that out there......;)

14. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

If you want to pay some serious money, for a good investment: The Wool Company has to be the place to go.
    But, if you are on a budget, The Royal Plush blanket at Walmart, @ just twenty five bucks, takes some beating.
    Of course, you don't have to have the traditional bed blanket. Here's a Scottish Wallace Tartan on E-Bay for just £25.

15. Bruce Wayne

I already have a down duvet. And while it does keep me warm, it also throws off a lot of dust & feathers.

16. dh66

dh66

I really like the looks of the Pendleton blankets, but use an old Swedish army surplus one that I got for 12 bucks. Don't have any worries about ruining it in the wash in case the baby pukes or pees on it.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

17. Bruce Wayne

Turns out I am going to need sheets as well sooner rather than later. Dang.

18. Renault

Renault One Too Many

To heck with a Hudson Bay and find a good Whitney!!!

19. Seth Byrnes

Seth Byrnes Familiar Face

I gotta 2nd Pinhead, Baron n' Lizzie's posts. Military wool blankets seem to be the most cost-effective in terms of money-for-warmth value.

Try some of these:

http://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/british-blanket-subdued-colours-used/16414
    Brit blankets are really good, not too thick but very warm. Easy to carry around the house with you if you're chilly at home.

http://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/british-blanket-bright-colour-used/16415
    I have two of these - one lime green and one cream with blue stripes. Same as subdued ones, but colourful!

Varusteleka has some AWESOME gear. I've bought from them 5 or so times now, always friendly and accommodating with requests.

http://sportsmansguide.ca/net/cb/new-swiss-style-military-wool-blanket.aspx?a=1123939
    These are supposed to be THE thing if you want a wool blanket for everyday use!

http://sportsmansguide.ca/net/cb/4-military-surplus-style-60x80-wool-blankets-gray.aspx?a=713463
    Four blankets for 35 bucks? Good deal, says I!

My favorite, though, are recycle wool russian blankets. If you can find them, they're 1/2'' thick and warmer than you'll ever believe. I put one on my bed under the fitted sheet for extra softness, keeps my back warm all night. I have one of the British ones on top of my duvet. I'm never at a loss for warmth!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  20. CataWhatas

CataWhatas New in Town

The 4 for $35 blankets are rather nice for price. They aren't the warmest of the options - but they work nicely, wash well and put up with being used as the walls of a chair fort. Which may not be a most important consideration, but I think if people used chair forts more, we might all be happier. But, they are very portable and sturdy. Good for football and soccer watching, or picnics.