Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEED ADVICE: Iron Heart Deck Jacket Vs. Real McCoys Deck Jacket

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
I actually own both in navy (the RMC one with a USN stencil).

The RMC seems to be a fairly accurate repro of the original contract; the IH is a free adaption of the concept. Main deviations from the originals are a different handwarmer design, an additional internal pocket, additional stud-closures on the pockets and wrist-straps on the sleeves.

The IH is warmer and a bit more roomy. The later may be due to the fact that I am in between sizes "L" and "XL", while the RMC 44 fits perfectly (beware of different fits in the RMC-iterations in different colours).
I guess it would be fair to say that IH offers a better bang for the buck. However, the RMC is a very cool, authentic piece. Of the two, the RMC gets my vote, but thats mainly on the "flair" of the jacket and not based on objective criteria.

phillyforager

A-List Customer
I actually own both in navy (the RMC one with a USN stencil).

The RMC seems to be a fairly accurate repro of the original contract; the IH is a free adaption of the concept. Main deviations from the originals are a different handwarmer design, an additional internal pocket, additional stud-closures on the pockets and wrist-straps on the sleeves.

The IH is warmer and a bit more roomy. The later may be due to the fact that I am in between sizes "L" and "XL", while the RMC 44 fits perfectly (beware of different fits in the RMC-iterations in different colours).
I guess it would be fair to say that IH offers a better bang for the buck. However, the RMC is a very cool, authentic piece. Of the two, the RMC gets my vote, but thats mainly on the "flair" of the jacket and not based on objective criteria.

This is very helpful - quick follow-up questions: which one feels more robust? And which one do you feel like was produced with more attention to detail (Stitching alignment, snap alignment, construction, etc.)

Thanks again

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
IH definitely feels more robust. It´s also slightly heavier.

Construction is more meticulous with RMC. Although I don´t really look for any imperfections, none are apparent. As the RMC has a brown stitching in contrast to the navy shell, it would be rather apparent.

The IH is well constructed, but by no means perfect. Nothing that bothers me though.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I can only comment on the IH since I own it in both indigo and the tan model that you linked in your post. Like everything I have seen from IH it is very well made and very, very warm! The cut is good as well, even though it is a thick jacket it still fits close and looks good.
As far as the RMC, I believe I saw it in person once at Standard and Strange (fortunately for my wallet it was too small to even try on). Top quality for sure and, as @dudewuttheheck mentioned, made to be the best reproduction possible of the original item.
Looking at the two jackets side by side I like the way Iron Heart does the pockets better than RMC, but that’s just me.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
I’ve owned both. Imo the rmc looks better but the ih is more robust and better constructed. Warmer too. I’d decide based on which measurement works best. You really can’t go wrong with either. Super versatile piece.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Thanks!

But what is your opinion on the overall quality of the piece (construction, materials, attention to details, functionality)? I am more concerned with quality than with reproduction accuracy.

thanks again
In actuality, Buzz Rickson does probably an even more faithful or just as faithful repro as RMC for less money, but won't be made quite as nicely or have as nice and soft of lining.

As for quality, I think I have handled both of these jackets at some point, but I am so uninterested in this type of jacket that I could not tell you which is better. RMC generally has neater stitch work than Iron Heart, but I can't compare these two.

If I were to buy a jacket like this, I would go for the Mister Freedom version anyway. I personally like the way it looks more. I don't like the straight repro version and Iron Heart's is too in the middle. The Mister Freedom one is more unique which I like a lot.

Cornelius

Practically Family
The Mister Freedom version is an interesting take on the N-1, well-cut, but I'm not a fan of exposed wrist knits. Just a personal opinion; feel like they'd be shredded after one or two winters. And for winters outside of California, a collar which can be fastened closed while turned up really makes all the difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21