Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need help finding the "right" B-3 jacket

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Yes, it was :) But i think my post here making alot of attention towards the B-3 made someone suddently get some interest in it, or just get down from the fence. Someone PMed foster and said they wanted it, and since i am not 100% sure about sizes yet i told him to go ahead and sell it to the other guy. But yes, it would have been a pretty nice "beginners" jacket for me, and if the sale falls through i will see if we cant make a deal.

My old winter jacket is still keeping me warm, and i am in no hurry to buy anything. Actually i didnt even think about getting one this side of christmas untill you people told me about all the used jackets that are sold here and on the forums, that go for quite a lot less than the new ones. And that way i can even afford one of the more authentic ones:)

Hi Zepticon,

Although I don't have a B-3, I bought my Irvin from ELC when I was living in Trondheim back in 2007 so here's a few of my observations which might be useful.

When I ordered mine from Gary I ordered the next size up from my regular shirt/suit/jacket size and because I am 6’ 1’’ I also ordered mine in the “extra long” sizing (which means an extra inch and a half added to the sleeves and body). Result was I got what for me was the perfect size – big enough to wear a jumper underneath but not so large as to be swamped in the thing if only wearing a T-shirt. The extra length was a must, Irvins (and B-3s) are short jackets originally designed to be worn with matching sheepskin trousers, the extra length meant that the jacket sits around 2 inches below the beltline. Check with others but I’d imagine it would be a similar thing with ELC’s B-3.

I found my Irvin perfect for the Norwegian winter in the city and wore it all the time. It got a pretty hard time big used for big nights at the pub, worn whilst tobogganing, my wife used it often as a blanket on train, and generally being used all the time. To be honest it’s not nearly as useful or practical as a good Bergans or Fjällräven jacket and certainly not when out in the mountains or woods but it was great around town and well, they do look so good.

As I see you’ve taken into account, Toll will charge you a LOT in customs charges but so long as you factor this in and it’s not a nasty surprise then you can plan for this and have the money ready for when the jacket is ready to be picked up from the post office.

All the best with getting a sheepskin flying jacket. One of the nicest things about living in the wintery north is that you actually have a good reason for buying one ;)

Lykke til!

Tim

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I too have a great Irvin from ELC, great for the sort of winter we had in the UK last year :cool:

Stand By

One Too Many
Looks to me as though you could (all) be using a Coastal Command Irvin for the weather that's inbound at your end for Monday ...!!! Force 12 !
Batten down those hatches ....!

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for the weather forecast Stand By....wind is already picking up outside my gaff (house). Coastal Command is on amber alert. :eeek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner